I need a very quiet power supply for a dual Xeon Supermicro

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
X5DA8 motherboard.

I got rid of the snarling hornet stock xeon fans, but the darn power supply is just too loud. Suggestions for a power supply?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've been happy with the last few Thermaltake power supplies I've purchased. Again, not silent, but quiet, and they don't skimp on molex connectors.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm suprised you're even considering anything outside of a PC Power and Cooling super silencer. They're right up your alley being "server" class and very quiet.

Handruin

Administrator
I've had good results with the Antec Neo 480 so far. It's also not silent, but the noise is minimal in my system.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I would suggest the Seasonic S12-500. It received a good review from SilentPC. I don't know if it's a paper certification (meaning that it is meanless), but it is one of the few PSU that is compliant with the 80Plus validation. It also has active PFC, but that fact won't change much of anything on your electricity bill.

It will cost you though. The Seasonic PSUs aren't cheap.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks CougTek. I did a bit of research, and considering the 5 scsi drives, and the SCA box, ATI 800XL, two NEC DVD writers, speakers, and anything else I might connect, and the dual xeons, I went with the SeaSonic 600w S12.
Yes, it's very expensive, but, I did get the S12 400W in my other box for 59 bucks, since it was a display, so paying 160 with shipping and tax balances out to an average of 220, or 110 each. Not to shabby. Besides, I like my duals, and I don't want to starve them;-).

I think Supermicro might release a motherboard update, so I might be able to go 3.6 or higher, in the next few years, and I'm sure they will need more juice...

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks CougTek. I did a bit of research, and considering the 5 scsi drives, and the SCA box, ATI 800XL, two NEC DVD writers, speakers, and anything else I might connect, and the dual xeons, I went with the SeaSonic 600w S12.
Yes, it's very expensive, but, I did get the S12 400W in my other box for 59 bucks, since it was a display, so paying 160 with shipping and tax balances out to an average of 220, or 110 each. Not to shabby. Besides, I like my duals, and I don't want to starve them;-).

I think Supermicro might release a motherboard update, so I might be able to go 3.6 or higher, in the next few years, and I'm sure they will need more juice...

By the way, the SeaSonics voltage variation underload is VERY impressive, hardly any. That really sold me...

s

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Santilli said:
By the way, the SeaSonics voltage variation underload is VERY impressive, hardly any. That really sold me...
Glad to know, that's what the review suggested too. It's good to feel I'm helping here.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Coug, we have always enjoyed your contributions and tales of percussive maintenance.

Ditto. Likewise everyone here.

Thanks again.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
I would suggest the Seasonic S12-500. It received a good review from SilentPC. I don't know if it's a paper certification (meaning that it is meanless), but it is one of the few PSU that is compliant with the 80Plus validation. It also has active PFC, but that fact won't change much of anything on your electricity bill.

It will cost you though. The Seasonic PSUs aren't cheap.

Thanks for the recommendation!!! Finally got it, and had it installed. It's about
silent, and the only sound is really the SCA box fan, but, that's MUCH quieter then the sparkle 550W that was in it.

Thanks again.

Greg

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Same here, Coug. Thanks 8)

After seeing your post and then reading the reviews over at Silent PC Review I knew this is what I wanted for my next gaming beast that I've started acquiring parts for. Ordered one last Friday.

I'm going to swap out the fan that it comes with for a Papst 4412FML that I have in my PC junk bin. This fan is even quieter than the one the PSU comes with while maintaining more than enough airflow to keep the PSU cool IMHO.

The 400w Fortron I've run for the last 3 years also got the Papst fan graft (8412NML) and has been excellent in terms of noise, plus 100% reliable.