I want a new BLACK case

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm fishing for any reccomendations on a new case. I think it is time to replace the Fong Kai FK-320ATX with something new. I just want to make a change to something different. 120mm and 92mmintake and exhaust fans are not a requirement as long as I can get decent airflow through the case w/o a lot of noise (i.e. multiple 80mm low speed fans would probably be OK).

Anyway, the case I currently have is here:
http://www.fkusa.com/chassis/fk320/Inside/320l.htm

Any new case I get should have at least the same capabilies as my current case. I don't need to get a power supply (and hopefully I can keep the cost down that way).

Any suggestions for a nice new black case? I'd consider aluminium or dark gray but those cost and modifiying the bezels of my optical drives to match those colors may be a problem so I'm leaning toward black...

Thanks,
C

Handruin

Administrator
I'm always a fan of antec cases, check out isitoday.com I believe you can get them without a ps. If your components don't match, just close the front door. :)

http://www.isitoday.com/chieftec.htm

Dx-01bd.jpg

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Doug.

The Antec Performance Plus line looks nice. The removable filter (w/o opening case) is a nice feature. The variable spped case fans (controlled by the PS) sound interesting too. I read a nice review here:

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/cases/antecplus860/

I wish I could the the 880 model in black somewhere...

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting quote from the the PS review associated with that PPlus case:

Another very interesting feature of the Antec TruePower series is their integration of two "fan only" connectors. These are in tune with the voltage settings for both internal fans, which seems to be starting at 5v. Theoretically, as the temperature increases, the power supply's fans spin up and so do any connected to either of these plugs. This is all nice, but there's a slight problem with its effectiveness. Keep in mind that widely used medium-output fans (30cfm, 32dba) will be running at less than half of their capacity so airflow will be reduced significantly.

Heck, even a 38mm thick Delta sounds acceptable connected to one of these. While there is no limit as to how many fans can be hooked up, connecting any drives is a no-no, for obvious reasons. The 3-pin blue/black connector is used for monitoring the RPMs of both fans (I assume both) and, unlike the connector on the Enermax FCA/FMA power supply line, it doesn't have to be plugged in for them to function properly

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/psu/truepower330/page5.shtml

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Now I'm just thinking about painting my Fong Kai....hmmmm...

C

Handruin

Administrator
I have the old version of the 880 (not true power), I think it would be sweet in black, but you're right, they don't make it. The 1080 series is the ones alienware uses on their pc's.
I think that's why isitoday offers chieftec cases in assorted colors.

I had a disagreement with someone here regarding the sole manufacture of antec cases. it's either Chieftec or Chenming. I have essentially the antec SX1240 and SX830 right now.

I'm not too thrilled about painting a case myself, but if it works for you, let me know! :)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Clocker said:
I wish I could get the 880 model in black somewhere...
The PLUS1080B is black and has an additional blow hole on the side panel. It's only a few bucks more. If metallic gray is your kind of color, then you can buy the very same enclosure from NewEgg with a 430W Antec PSU for 140U$.

There's also the Thermaltake Xaser II 6000 serie, which is another Antec-style casing, but all aluminum and with 5 silent 80mm fans plus temperature monitoring. Newegg sells it for 168U$, but that's without a PSU (but with all the fans). NCIX (I bought many times from their canadian web site) also sells it for 162$, if you like it.

Finally, I saw another Antec-kin from Turbo something on NCIX's web site. It's black, all aluminum except for the front panel and it comes with an unknown PSU, but since you already have yours, it's no problem. This one is only 134$.

The Antec/Chieftec derivates have probably the best cooling features of all mid-range PC cases right now. It's no wonder why everyone wants to have their flavor of that design.

BTW, Antec's new SLK2600 looks like a great case for budget systems. Not one for you C, but it might still interest others...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Coug...

First coat is already applied. If I don't post pictures later on, you'll know why.... :)

C

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
Thanks Coug...

First coat is already applied. If I don't post pictures later on, you'll know why.... :)

C

LOL, good luck with it! I can't wait to see it. (post pics anyways)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow. Those prices are kinda high for me to replace a case that is still fully functional for me...so I guess that is why I'm painting.

Here is the color I have chosen:

hammer7213.jpg

I decided with that color because you can already buy a Fong Kai FK-320 in black and I wanted something different.

First coat has been applied to the case parts. I had to clean them with mineral spirits (to remove the lubricant from the plastic die mold), rough them up with a 3M pad, and then clean them again with the spirits prior to priming and then painting.

Whats weird is that on the paint can it says that the second coat should be applied within 2 hours OR after 48 hours. I wonder why they make you wait 48 hours!?

Oh well...all my drives are done since I applied the 2nd coat before 2 hours after the first; the case will have to wait until Monday night. The case parts look pretty good but I can tell they need a 2nd coat. The drive face-plates look sweet.

C

NickWild

What is this storage?
The finest cases and the best deals including shipping

electroseller.com

Wild

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Nick. I check that out earlier as I know we've had chats about them in the past. They have some pretty good stuff.

C

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Clocker said:
Wow. Those prices are kinda high for me to replace a case that is still fully functional for me...so I guess that is why I'm painting.

Here is the color I have chosen:

You must show pictures when you are finished. Or in process...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My need for a change has been satisfied. The 'hammer' finish on the paint is how it is supposed to be. Unfortunately it is a little more pronounced on the drive face-plates than the front bezel. It looks OK though, better than before at least. I had to rush this a bit because, in the middle of the job, I found out I have to run to the hospital tomorrow to see my grandma who had a heart attack. She's 90 and was in there for some other minor surgery when it happened.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kharper/case1.jpg

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kharper/case2.jpg

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kharper/case3.jpg

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kharper/case4.jpg

Clocker

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, good luck to your grandma. Mine is in as well, right now. They thought she had a stroke, because she was behaving so oddly, and treated her for that for two weeks before someone realized that she had actually broken her back and maybe needed a little pain medication...

Hospitals frighten me.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll tell Na-Na you all said Hi and get well soon! However, she probably doesn't even remember who I am anymore (Alzheimers).

Does my paint-job suck that bad? Maybe I should get a new case after all.... :p

C

SteveC

Storage is cool
The case came out very good! What did you do to make sure the paint didn't get into the drives, and what did you paint it with?

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
Hope your grandma gets well!

The paint job turned out good, thanks for posting pictures. The components looked like they have a nice texture to them now. :)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Grammy is looking better although she is out of it a lot.

I took the face-plates and dust guards off the drives to paint them...not hard at all really. The tricky part was pulling out the optical drive trays so I could remove the face-plates.I'm afraid the wimpy ass tray motor on my Liteon CDRW does not like to retract all the way on it's own now. I have to give it some help to close. Not sure why...maybe because I cleaned off the tray with mineral spirits (can't see why that would make a diff).

These newer Liteons have really weak tray motors I've read on the net. THe open and close really slow. Now my closes REALLY slow. Opening is fine though...

C