i5 dropped today

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
By the way, all my GA-x48-DQ6 ultra durable (The MB I had standardized upon) motherboards are showing MB instability with random reboots and the inability to use more than a single stick of RAM (They used to use 4 sticks). I really expected these to last much longer.

RMA time! :idea:

Too late.:x

You've had them for more than 3 years?

no, but I thought the warranty was 1Y.

I finally just got tired with the problems. So I contacted Gigabyte with the worst MB. After answering all their diagnostic questions they are going to give me an RMA (within 2 days). They also want me to RMA the Processor, The RAM, and the Power supply. Everything isl still under warranty and I can do this all at the same time for just the cost of shipping, but this is ridiculously inefficient diagnostics when, by far the most likely candidate is the motherboard. It seems to me, they want to blame everyone else with the recognition that is may their problem too.

Handruin

Administrator
Wait, so you have to send Gigabyte the RAM, CPU, and power supply or do you have to send each of those back to their respective companies?

Stereodude

Not really a
I'd try all the old stuff with the new motherboard you get from Gigabyte and file their idea of RMA'ing everything in the garbage can. I would Memtest86+ / Goldmemory the heck out of the system though. FWIW, I've found that Goldmemory is more effective than Memtest86+ at finding bad RAM though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I already did file their recommendation in the circular file, instantaneously as they were recommending it. It made no sense. The tech had no clue, so he blanket recommended replacement of everything as the cure all. I really told you folks here because it says something about Gigabyte's tech support, not because I believed a word. Unfortunately you gotta go through their diagnostic process to get the RMA.

Now the real issue will be what to do if the problem remains when the board gets back. I am not a believer in their MB testing process (I've had bad experiences previously) and if it doesn't find anything wrong then they just ship it back and you are stuck with the same problem. Then you don't know if it is that their testing sucks (which is my odds on favorite likelihood)or if there is some other problem somewhere else that makes the blanket RMA seem to make more sense.

P.S. it is not the RAM. I've previously swapped out the RAM with a different (Gigabyte certified) brand to no effect.

ddrueding

Fixture
80% of my "flaky" issues have been PSUs. I always buy Seasonic or Antec and have a spare lying around. Have you tried swapping it?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It could theoretically be a PS problem. However, I trust my PC Power and Cooling 750W PS's a whole lot more than the Gigabyte MB's. While I don't have any spares, I can painfully swap one from another system.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I did send the MB back and Gigabyte sent me a new one that seems to work fine.

That of course destroyed my inertia so when it got back, I replaced my 9 small HD's with two 1.5's; then I reinstalled everything from scratch and the system seems to be totally stable.