Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxtor

• Samsung

• Total voters

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
We are moving to the next generation motherboards (Intel 915/925) and was wondering what hard drive to use.

Bozo :mrgrn:

ddrueding

Fixture
Ever since getting strong reccomendations here and elsewhere, Samsung has been my drive of choice. Especially now that my Raptors are beginning to drop like flys :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I use Samsungs for "normal" use and Hitachis for the bigger drives my file servers need. I've RMA'd two Samsungs out of the maybe 300 drives I've sold, one DOA and one that had bad sectors.

My one and only complaint about Samsung is that they don't make big drives.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
They are well and truly due for a new model, Merc. I just checked their website, nothing on the horizon yet. But 160GB is their limit now and we will need a bigger drive within the next few months. So, if I am any guess, will the majority of other places.

The good news is that it seems to be samsung's habit to announce a drive only when they are ready to actually start production. Typical lag time between announcement and product on my shelf seems to be just a month or two. So if they debut, say, a 240GB drive early next month, we will have stock just after summer.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Samsung all the way. Ok, I've got one 250GB Maxtor, but that's just because Samsung hasn't come out with a bigger drive yet.
No faulty Samsung drives here, yet.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't own any now, but I plan on buying a couple of samsung 160GB drives for my next PC.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
One more vote for Samsung. Just make sure you get SATA drives as those 915/925-boards have only one PATA channel.

Cheers,

Jan

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I actually voted for Seagate. I like them for their pioneering AAM, S-ATA, and NCQ. Plus I've been happy with every seagate I've purchased. However I also like Hitachi and Samsung drives, really anything but WD. Who voted for WD anyway?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Buck said:
I would have picked WD for their innovations, but I picked Samsung instead because of their reliability.

WD was the 1st to make a 10k ATA drive, however the drive is P-ATA based but only sold with a S-ATA connection. Seems like marketting BS(this unit is too fast or too new for P-ATA). Wish they would have released a P-ATA unit. WD was the last HDD maker to implement thermal sensors, AAM, and FDB. So, while they have one credit to them, they have many against.

Mercutio

But hey, give them credit for the fairly simple RMA process you'll no doubt become familiar with over the life of your Western Digital product.

Which will probably be about 13 months, unless you breathe on it or look at it funny or allow the drive to run for more than five consecutive minutes.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:
Buck said:
I would have picked WD for their innovations, but I picked Samsung instead because of their reliability.

WD was the 1st to make a 10k ATA drive, however the drive is P-ATA based but only sold with a S-ATA connection. Seems like marketting BS(this unit is too fast or too new for P-ATA). Wish they would have released a P-ATA unit. WD was the last HDD maker to implement thermal sensors, AAM, and FDB. So, while they have one credit to them, they have many against.

They were the first to ship drives using ATA-5, the first to market with 20, 30, and 40 GBs per platter. They were also the first to market with 8 MB cache ATA drives. Also, this P-ATA to S-ATA is just a personal preference, because obviously there is no performance difference.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
But hey, give them credit for the fairly simple RMA process you'll no doubt become familiar with over the life of your Western Digital product.

Which will probably be about 13 months, unless you breathe on it or look at it funny or allow the drive to run for more than five consecutive minutes.

I have 8 of an original batch of 25 Raptors sitting on the shelf waiting for RMA. Can I put in a negative vote for them?

Mercutio

As a Founding Member of the WD Should Collectively Rot in a Turkish Prison (WDSCRiaTP) club, I'd just like to say this, for my own immense personal satisfaction as well as for public record:

I told you so!

Personally, I think a WD representative should be made available to apologize for their products. Someone who thinks WD makes the best drives can only be said to have an exceedingly low opinion of hard drives.

freeborn

ddrueding said:
Mercutio said:

I have 8 of an original batch of 25 Raptors sitting on the shelf waiting for RMA. Can I put in a negative vote for them?

Hmmm.... Could it be the salt air :) ?

Oh! I know, you didn't handle them with rubber gloves and have every stray electron around you locked down.

Or did you give them a cross look?

Free

P.S. I tend to be taken literally so to be clear this post is a joke not belittling you.

Mercutio

I'll bet he forgot the "Sacrifice a goat on an altar of virgin bones in the anti-light of a new moon" step in the installation process.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
On a more serious note, Daveid, that is a horrifying failure rate.

It's lucky for me that Western Digital (stupidly) didn't make the drive available in PATA. Because of the extra cost, complexity and inconvenience of SATA, I never got around to selling any Raptors, nor to buying one for myself. And I was thinking about it for quite a while.

Lucky me!

ddrueding

Fixture
:mrgrn: Yes, I will accept all the "I told you so"s now....the ones that come most quickly to mind are Mercutio and Tea, but there were others. I find it really amazing that the systems that have been swapped with 120GB/8MB Samsung SATA drives have no performance decrease at all.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
Better hurry on those RMAs, too. Last time I looked, WD's Bulk RMA tool only had space for 8 drives.

Done and done. I am now open to suggestions on what to do with them when they come back.

Mercutio

Ebay. Newish Hard disks frequently exceed their retail price on Ebay.
Or give them away in contests or something.

I can't imagine anyone here would want them.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
So is anyone going to fess up to having voted for Western Digital?

I've got my billy-club ready.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmm. Our 'autorized vender' does not handle Samsung. Guess I'll use Hitachi or Seagate.
Sure hope all those Raptors I bought last year don't start to die.............

Bozo :mrgrn:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am liking Western Digital, with the exception of one 74 Raptor I havn't bought drives from them in about a year and a half though, which seems to be where the problems are. Still have lots of their drives around. The WD740GD is quiet, I can't hear it's idle in an Antec Sonata and the seaks are audible but subdued.

Put together an array of the Samsung SP1614N drives recently and was impressed with the noise level being so quiet, they run cool too. They replaced an array of eight WD600AB's that were problem free but starting to get super loud.

Started a foray into some really big drives lately with the Seagate 7200.8 PATA 300Gig's. Runs kindof hot, seems hotter than the Raptor. Have some 160Gig 7200.7 SATA II w/NCQ on the way too, makes me wish we had something here with ICH6.

Our Dell laptops seem to be IBM IC25N's almost exclusively.

In short I wouldn't tie myself down to any brand loyalty, do the research and get what seems to do the best at the moment.

RWIndiana

OKAY OKAY, I CONFESS!!

So I felt sorry for WD. I ask forgiveness for being sympathetic. I'm ready for my punishment.

I knew I would get a good chuckle out of it eventually too. :D

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
ddrueding said:
RWIndiana said:
OKAY OKAY, I CONFESS!!

Bartender! Nothing but Coors Light for our friend RW until he realizes the evil of his ways...

How could you use the phrase friend and Coors Light in the same context? I wouldn't even serve Coors Light to my enemies!

Don't worry RW, I'm with you on the WD stuff. I've seen Buck work with them for years, and he has never had the amount of problems that others on this site have encountered. The only reason he switched to Samsung is because they're a little bit more reliable for him, but in particular because they're quieter. You have to remember, that as much as Buck drinks, he's always dropping drives, and it seems that Samsungs are easier to hold on to, so they last longer.

Handruin

Administrator
I do have to ask...if ya'll hate WD so much...why did you donate two of them to me? Should I be reading into this a little more? :D

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I voted for Seagate because between Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi and Maxtor it is the only brand I have used that has been trouble-free. I have not seen any Samsungs drives for sale in the US excepting some on-line stores (OEM?).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't vote. I've owned many WDs, Maxtors, Quantums, one IBM and most recently, one Seagate. None, repeat none, have failed. So I don't know what to say. I'll just go with the great seers here, and buy a Samsung next time. Or a Hitachi if I need the capacity.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't vote either because I've had a mix of experiences through the years. I've had a couple WD's fail, and a maxtor. At the same time, I still have my WD expert 18GB drive that is still running (though one could argue it wasn't actually made by WD at the time) after several years of use.

I didn't vote for samsung since I've not owned any of their drives. However, I do plan to give them a try.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
No vote from me either. My sampling size is not significant enought to matter.

That said, I've had decent luck with most of the brands. My PC is currently running a Seagate X-15 Mark I, Samsung, and a Maxtor with a WD in an external enclosure. My wife's PC is fine with it's 36GB Atlas 10K II.

The old Deskstar 22GXPs I used for a long time are still alive and in use by a friend.

My next drive(s) will likely be Seagate or Hitachi, though, as the only thing on my build horizon right now is a media server. Max capacity will be the deciding factor. But I've no idea when I'll get around to working on it.