I'm going to be a dad...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Very exciting news, indeed! I'm very happy for you!

Our little guy is expected to show up on November 30th! :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You better love the mother for real, because she'll be part of your life forever now (in your bedroom or your paycheck).

One head closer to the 7 billion mark. Congratulations.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Congratulations! :beer: If he shows up exactly on November 30 (my birthday) name him after me if it's a boy. :mrgrn:

And congratulations Chewy! :beer:

Thanks! His name is going to be Brendan.

Chewy...are you guys working on any names yet?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
You better love the mother for real, because she'll be part of your life forever now (in your bedroom or your paycheck).

One head closer to the 7 billion mark. Congratulations.

LOL Coug, always looking on the bright side.

Congrats chewy!

I'm with Coug...again, oh no, how can this be...heh, maybe we can get Coug to put everyone on 'ignore' then, lol.

Umm, Sorry for the pessimism, but this is the woman Chewy, what only how many months ago just started dating...and I think the TomKat analogy applies, falling in love so quickly like those two did I wonder how long it will last, and how many 'accidental' (so Chewy, was this a planned pregnancy, and if not...kids these days, still haven't a clue about responsible sex....sheeeesh, what a conservative/prudish society(ies) ?) children come into this world by parents who haven't really thought about it in a mature manner, just giving into the urge/lust factor of love. I would never allow any woman to get pregnant by my DNA...and it won't be by 'accident', until I had been married or in a 24/7 living arrangement for a minimum of at least one year of a commited managimous relationship. I mean look at DD, he's in love one month with one woman, then the next he's in love with yet another woman that he's thinking of marrying and worse thinking of children when the responsible adult parent does a financial anaylsis of income required for at minimum of paying for that child, including medical insurance instead of relying on the goverment to go into bankrupcy paying for these children's medical costs until age 18, and then consider in 20yrs time, if you haven't invested your funds correctly, you'll not be able to send them to a decent university as even right now, the world is becoming every more exceedingly competitive, with Chinese youth, under such pressure to succeed academically in high school, that the suicide rate is going up dramatically in the last few years.

Yeah, it's a downer post, so whine away at me. I tend to be a reality focused person--- not a fantasy reality distortion of "feel good":cyclops: politics, maybe only the ranting upset Tannin understands that kind of logic :(

Btw, Handy's put up some cool new smilies I see.

I'm just thinking of how Chewy seems to have jumped into this, not thinking logically, but rather purely on an 'emotional' level---not a higher percentage gamble in the long term marriage stakes, IMHO. FS did that, if you read his threads on SR's B&G, and FS was obviously bitter for the experience.

I mean, look at Brit-e-No Spears, popped out two babies in what 2yrs, and there after the emotional high of love wears off, a quicky divorce. So, you're all saying you wouldn't have advised Chewy to think this out, and wait until after having been married for a year before getting into this mess...raising children is a long, long term commitment, IMHO. I should be very, very seriously considered before accepting this responsibility. You're not just saving a pet from the pound, this is a human life you're talking about. One of the most demanding jobs there is. Chewy's S/O is going to quit her job, and become a housewife on Chewy's current income; this has been well thought out, or is it pure emotionalism at work. Very irresponsible if pure emotionalism/sex is at the heart of this life...all too many children being brought into this world on that basis...sorry, I have to agree with Coug on this one.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
udaman,
I think we covered the negatives in another thread.
In this case what's done is done.
And the reality of it will teach him more than your post ever will.

Congrats to Clocker as well.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You're not just saving a pet from the pound, this is a human life you're talking about. One of the most demanding jobs there is.
You're right and I agree 100% with everything in your post, but as Will said what's done is done. For what it's worth, I'd trust anyone on this forum to raise an unplanned child more than I would trust most of the general population to raise a planned one.

I would never allow any woman to get pregnant by my DNA...and it won't be by 'accident', until I had been married or in a 24/7 living arrangement for a minimum of at least one year of a commited managimous relationship.
In my case it would be more like never, period. Probably in your case as well never would make more sense. After all, you're older than me, and even in my case I'm a bit too old to play house. I'm figuring going by your one year minimum, which would actually be closer to five in my case given how long it takes me to get really attached to someone, that would put me around 50 when the kid(s) was born. Now chasing after kids in my 50s is not something I'd look forward to, not to mention being well into my 70s by the time they finished grad school. Granted, given family longevity I'd probably be around until the kids were in their 40s at least, but I could go before they even finish school. Not fair to them. Don't even get me started on these bozos who get artificially pregnant in their 60s. Will they even recognize their kids by the time they become adults? Oh, and how is it possible for people to be head over heels in love knowing each other only a few months like Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes? Never understood that one either. I need a really long history with a person to even like them well, never mind love them.

Don't mean to disrupt the celebratory atmosphere Chewy. I hope it all works out for you. Just addressing some of udaman's comments which I happen to agree with.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Chewy...are you guys working on any names yet?

Funny enough, yes. We spent about 5hrs on Sun looking at names. Nothing definite yet though.

Udaman, I don't think any sane person would bring a child into the world today, yet we (as a society) continue to do so... The pregnancy wasn't planned, but neither are 87% of them out there are. The strange thing is, Udaman I agree with you 100%, but things don't always work out to plan...

Clocker, congratulations to you as well. :thumbright:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!

After 9.5 years of marriage I'm now happy to say my spouse has a higher salary than I. So I guess she'll be my boy's mama and my sugar-mama now. :)

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Do_it_for_the_kids.gif