Infiniband and 10Gb networking

Handruin

Administrator
I know I'm digging up an older thread but this is relevant to 10Gb networking. I read this article which discusses the pros and cons of using 10Gbase-T (RJ45) vs SFP+ Fiber and SFP+ DAC. I wasn't aware of how much more latency is involved with a 10Gbase-T implementation. Not that this has a huge impact to us homelab users but in a corp/enterprise implementation I can see very good reasons for SFP+ fiber for this alone, let alone the crosstalk and power saving benefits.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...benefits-of-deploying-sfp-fiber-vs-10gbase-t/

Quick highlights from the article:
Latency:
Mellanox-chart2.png

Power consumption:
Mellanox-chart3.png

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When I was looking in to Infiniband stuff, I saw a lot of guys ranting about how hot 10GbE kit was. I thought they might've been exaggerating, but that graph suggests otherwise. 5W/port is hotter than some x86 CPUs at this point.

I did finally hook up my cables for long enough to verify connectivity, but I'd seriously have to rearrange furniture and/or make holes in walls to get the cables I have to reach someplace I can actually use them. I figure that can be a project for when it's cold outside.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I did finally hook up my cables for long enough to verify connectivity, but I'd seriously have to rearrange furniture and/or make holes in walls to get the cables I have to reach someplace I can actually use them. I figure that can be a project for when it's cold outside.
It is cold outside now (around -15°C here, dropping down to -26°C during the night for the upcoming two nights).

Did you have time for that project? If not, now would be a good time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have yet to come up with a palatable arrangement of cables so that I can keep my big desktop in my bedroom closet but all my stuff at my desk. I can make it work but it's really ugly and I'll have to leave the closet door open, which I have in the past found to be problematic for pet-care/pet-desire-to-murder reasons.