Intel & ATI ??

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Seems like a good way to get decent onboard graphics for an Intel System. The price is certainly reasonable. I'm not seeing any reason to complain about it.

Mate it with a dual core something or other and I'll bet it would be a pretty nice little setup.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Hmmmm .... and the Register (or the Inq - I forget which) is saying there are strong rumours that Intel are going back into the graphics business ....... 2 + 2 =7?

Did Intel leave the graphics business? Last I checked, they had the highest share.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Mate it with a dual core something or other and I'll bet it would be a pretty nice little setup.
One of the systems we offer is a Pentium D 805 sitting on an Asus P5RD1-VM. The Asus board uses an ATI cheapset. It's quite a bargain for someone not gaming IMO.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
The quarter before last Intel suffered an earnings shortfall and blamed the result on not being able to ship enough chipsets—plenty of processors but not enough chipsets (yeah, seeing as Processors make far more money, I looked askance at that too...). Anyhoo, Intel announced a "strategic partnership" to use ATi chipsets circa the same time.

CougTek said:
...board uses an ATI cheapset.

You trying to tell us something?
:mrgrn:

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
sechs said:
Did Intel leave the graphics business? Last I checked, they had the highest share.

Hmmm ... well that dates your last check to around 1999 or maybe it was 2000 when those third-rate 8MB AGP Intel 740 cards were everywhere. Unless you count on-board chipset-embedded stuff, which ain't graphics market in my book, that's just part of the motherboard.

The rumour is, track record of ballising it up last time notwithstanding, that they are going back into the graphics market. Seems daft to me, surely there is no way they could start from scratch and match it with Nvidia and ATI ..... unless they were working with one of those firms, via partnership, buyout, or some such.

Or maybe it's just a rumour.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Pretty sneaky that. Defining the "graphics market" not to include the largest source of graphics logic.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Onboard video is no longer a separate market from the rest of the mainboard chipset. Chipsets from ATI, Intel, Nvidia and VIA all come with their own proprietary integrated graphics.

So I think Tea is right - desktop onboard video isn't part of what most people would call the "graphics market". Even if it was, the value would represent a tiny portion of the market as a whole.

On the other hand, laptops may have distinct graphics chips, which is sort of onboard ...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handriun said:
CougTek said:
...board uses an ATI cheapset.

You trying to tell us something?
:mrgrn:
Their SB450 sucks. Period. It's outdated and under-performing. With their above-average integrated graphics (average being Intel), it combines for a so-so solution. The average user won't feel the difference. Because the price is good, we use it.

Deadwood

What is this storage?
branded IGP's

I bought one of the cheapest laptops I could find in January, a Compaq Presario V2500 or something. It works well for normal tasks, including compiling. At any rate, when I saw the "Graphics by ATI" logo, I thought, "oh, maybe laptop graphics cards are a thing of the past, since this el-cheapo laptop has a Radeon IGP." Nope. Totally useless. Of course, I don't actually need a decent graphics card, but it would've been nice. Otherwise, I like the laptop. A nice bonus was the availability of high-capacity batteries. An aftermarket usb sound card and some serious gentoo linux install time later, and I'm a happy camper, or at least a productive worker.