Intel D101GGC motherboard always put CPU at 100%.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a problem I've so far been unable to resolve. A crappy Gateway box in which is nesting an Intel D101GGC motherboard (ATI Xpress 200 chipset). The computer is slow as a snail. One process, only dubbed "System", is using 100% of the processor. I cannot shut down the process.

I tried to change the procesor, the power supply and do a whole new Windows installation on another hard drive : same problem. The computer is slow even during POST. I haven't seen anything in the BIOS that can do this. I even disabled the integrated audio and LAN to no avail. I also replaced the RAM.

Except for throwing it in front of a bus, what's left to do with this? BIOS upgrade? Doubtful.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
When you did the new OS did you use the same drivers?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There are not even any driver installed yet and the "System" process already takes 100% of the CPU time. There were unknown versions of the chipset drivers installed on the original installation.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Use the same install media then? Try another disk or another OS?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The media used for the second installation certainly wasn't the same as the one used in the original installation. I can try another OS, but ultimately I'll have to find a way to make Windows XP Home work because that's what's on the sticker glued on the box. IMO, trying another OS won't change anything because the machine is slow even during POST, well before the OS loads.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I did remove the heatsink, clean the thermal interface, reapply thermal compound and reinstall the heatsink. No improvement.

Then, I chose the bus solution.

Handruin

Administrator
What about trying something like process explorer to see if it will break down whatever might be inside that generic "System" process. Assuming you didn't damage the bus...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe MS has the Winternals utility to look into the 'system' process and let you know whats going on.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you reset the CMOS by pulling the battery/using a jumper yet?

I take it there's no "throttling" setting in the BIOS? What sort of temperatures/voltages are reported in the BIOS?