IntelliMouse Optical: Need Another

Piyono

Storage is cool
As far as cursor lag is concerned, you don't have to go to a wireless mouse to find it; just sit down at a Mac— they have it built-in... free! It's possibly the most frustrating part about interfacing with Macs. The infuriating thing is that the mouse preferences panel offers only one control, sensitivity. Factors like acceleration & deceleration curves, response curves and so forth are all fixed. Sure ain't 'sensitive' to my needs! Maybe Mac users like this "soft mouse" feel but mouse lag drives me positively *up the wall*. Of course, we're talking about the same company that was shipping one-button mice until only a few months ago.

On the bright side, there are a few third-party apps that hijack the mouse driver and offer more control, so all hope is not lost if I decide to get a MacBook in the fall.

Piyono

Piyono

Storage is cool
Here we go again

Less than two years has passed since I replaced the switches in this rodent and they are already misfiring. Clearly mine is not a reliable sample set but it would seem that the part with the MS-specific part number was rated for three times the cycles as the generic part. Either that or I've been using the mouse three times as much.

New mouse or replacement switch hunt? Decisions, decisions.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've never, not once in over 20 years, had a Logitech actually fail.
Give it to my Mom, she'll wear it out. She has destroyed every mouse she's ever used. The buttons just stop working, or will stick electrically. She's killed both Microsoft mice, and Logitech mice.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have, but it was out of a large sample (at the game center). For the 20 machines over 3 years of being used for gaming 12 hours a day, I replaced about 100 keyboards and 4 mice. MX500/MX510, for the record.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Newegg has 'em pretty cheap.

Yeah... I'm in Israel. I'd have to find a mule and right now I can't think of anyone coming in from the states. My sister is coming from Toronto but my supplier no longer sells the Intellimouse Optical and there's no way in heaven I'm buying a retail-packaged mouse so I'll have to think of some other way to get one.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yeah... I'm in Israel. I'd have to find a mule and right now I can't think of anyone coming in from the states. My sister is coming from Toronto but my supplier no longer sells the Intellimouse Optical and there's no way in heaven I'm buying a retail-packaged mouse so I'll have to think of some other way to get one.

Could you have a friend or family member ship it to you? I have no idea what that would cost. I shipped a box to Australia once, which wasn't very cheap. I also don't know how customs works between Canada/USA/Israel.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Could you have a friend or family member ship it to you? I have no idea what that would cost. I shipped a box to Australia once, which wasn't very cheap. I also don't know how customs works between Canada/USA/Israel.

The best way to get stuff over here is the buddy courier system, i.e. I have a parcel shipped to a friend in the States or Canada who's coming to Israel and they bring it here for me.

That said, one of my Israeli suppliers has the mouse for the equivalent of about $19— same price for white *and* black. Only problem is that they have a fixed delivery charge of 35nis (about $10), which doesn't make small orders practical.

Piyono

Storage is cool
OK, found the micro switches on eBay (item number 130184547565). Hopefully the seller will ship to J-lem. In the meantime I swapped the left- and right-click switches so that I can continue more-or-less using the mouse.

Call me crazy but I really like the idea of repairing my old shit instead of buying new stuff, even if it's something as little as a mouse. Why create waste out of something that is still usable?