iPhone syndrome

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just a thought but I think it's kind of a moot issue as a case of some sort is pretty much required on them. Having exposed sharp edges of glass is a really bad idea imo as it is so easy to nick the edge and start a crack. Really should have made the metal surround a bit thicker and recessed the glass on both sides. I was really hoping they enabled gestures or some form of extended touch support on the back which would have been the whole reason for it but we got nothing but a liability.

Also holding back on os4 at the moment till the apps catch up but I have seen a few trickle in this week. If you are a happy user of backgrounder apparently it won't work in os4 so I hear so you can't even use that to help ease the transition a bit.

I have been on the road for the past three weeks and I will be out next week too so my most important app is tomtom and 1.4 is required for it to work on os4 but it won't import your settings from the old version and I am not sure what the extent of that means so I'm waiting on 1.4.1 which they say should be available soon(tm).

Handruin

Administrator
I'm being sarcastic. It's the same response Steve Jobs gave, which I linked to above and you commented on.

I appreciated your response, but couldn't get back in time to post that I enjoyed it before you had to explain it. :)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The antenna issues on the iPhone 4 seem like it should have been caught in testing which is pretty sad.

I was thinking about that too but if they all had covers on them to disguise them as 3GS then there's your answer. Quite an oversight either way.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why would a big corporation allow regular employees to set up Exchange sync on their personal phones in the first place?

Handruin

Administrator
I should also append that internal approval has to be granted first before they allow access for my account. Same is true for all other employees.

Handruin

Administrator
No, I bought the phone for my own enjoyment, not for work. Accessing work email on my phone at my own discretion makes my life easier and I can contribute more.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Are they paying for your phone? Because if that's what you're using the phone for, they should.

I find it convenient to be able to see my calendar in the morning and at lunch on my personal phone. I don't miss as many meetings that way.

Sol

Storage is cool
Why would a big corporation allow regular employees to set up Exchange sync on their personal phones in the first place?

Just curious, would you not let employees access their work email on a personal device, or would you just not let them do it via exchange?

At work we're pretty much allowed to access our work email (through google) on whatever we like, but that obviously lacks the potential to screw up an exchange server.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Most corporate policies probably prohibit it. But most of the workers find a way.

IT workers? I would expect that most large corps would have the systems locked down tight for the vast majority of employees.

Handruin

Administrator
My company's is locked down. Even if a user puts in the right info, you can' access it without someone enabling it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ours is wide-open; I even sent out links to the Google Apps help page about connecting their devices. I understand that corporate paranoia is out there, but I feel it hurts more than helps.

Handruin

Administrator
The paranoia depends on what you might have at stake. I don't know how large the company you work for is in comparison to mine, but I can understand my company's hesitation to allow everyone to connect all willy-nilly to the email system. Bringing down a corporate exchange system that manages 40K+ people would cause some problems to the business. I agree that there is overhead with having more process and security. There is a price to pay in efficiency.

Handruin

Administrator
I love fixes that are that easy! :) If the signal bars go down because the phone is held incorrectly (if there is even such a thing)...just rewrite the code which displays the bars so that they don't do that. lol

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I find it convenient to be able to see my calendar in the morning and at lunch on my personal phone. I don't miss as many meetings that way.

I opened my work email today on my phone and got a message saying: "The Exchange server requires that you enable security to continue synchronizing..."

Basically, they changed the Exchange security settings and I was forced to enter an unlock pin (8 characters, 1 number) in order to continue using Exchange Activesync. I found this very annoying, but thankfully so did a lot of other users. I found an Android app called LockPicker, it runs a service and disables to the need for an unlock pin. I'm really impressed with the Android community; I've basically found a fix for every problem I've had with my phone.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Android 2.2 is being pushed out over the air for the EVO now. I'm told that it breaks a few things, but fixes a memory leak and improves battery life somewhat.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yes I got it last night around 9PM ET.
Updated our two evos. Swype was cranky and needed to be uninstalled/reinstalled. The market still doesn't show all my downloaded apps in the downloads section, it only shows three of them.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
You are doing menu -> Settings -> System Updates -> HTC Software Update ?
It will be pushed OTA in waves but you should be able to do this to get it now.
I was doing it many times a day since the original leaked date of July 30th.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
And you apparently still have to use an app to do usb tethering.
Sprint has the usb tethering built in disabled unless you pay for the hotspot feature.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Install worked, but only 2 of my apps appear under downloads now. Although, from what I can tell they are still available under all apps. The couple I have tried still work as well.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
To fix the downloaded apps issue:
You can either download an app to refresh the cache. Or go to manage applications and under all applications, find the market app, clear the cache and then the data. Now open the market again and it will retrieve the data from google again.
Some are saying you can just wait it out and it will eventually sync. I don't agree.