iPhone syndrome

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
To fix the downloaded apps issue:
You can either download an app to refresh the cache. Or go to manage applications and under all applications, find the market app, clear the cache and then the data. Now open the market again and it will retrieve the data from google again.
Some are saying you can just wait it out and it will eventually sync. I don't agree.

I tried this, but it still only shows two apps.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Froyo (2.2) definitely feels faster so far. I really wish they would include a tabbed browser. The default browser still can only open 4 windows at a time which is quite limiting.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
We'll see if it fixes the random rebooting issue. My wife's evo was randomly rebooting in the middle of a call. I pulled the battery and it seems better but not 100%. Mine does reboot occasionally in my pocket.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Froyo (2.2) definitely feels faster so far. I really wish they would include a tabbed browser. The default browser still can only open 4 windows at a time which is quite limiting.

I changed my mind, Froyo no longer feels any faster to me. The whole phone seems to slow down massively at times and the only think that fixes it is restarting the whole phone. I've played with Advanced Task Killer which will kill various apps at interval and Fast Reboot which does some kind of partial reboot, but neither has completely fixed the problem. I've read that others have restored their phone to factory, which completely fixed the problem.

On the browser front I'm now using Dolphin HD, which has quite a few nice features such as: tabbed browsing, gestures, and addons. If you have an Android device it's worth trying out.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

This must be a limit of the HTC GUI overlay, the stock 2.1/2.2 browser gives 8 brower windows max.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I so want the ios forced autocorrect to go away. I was glad to see the win7 phones input stuff, looks like they put a lot of work in it.

The win7 phones keynote was a disaster though, very unpolished. It started late. The subtitles didn't really keep up and I think the subtitles had problems as there was about 10 minutes of "testing" messages, may be why it started late. At any rate a pretty rocky start to get over.

They were doing pretty good on the content and convergence of features and demoing how things tie into each other, looked pretty good. Then the guy totally wrecked it at the end with the announcement "copy/paste coming soon next year". I was so disgusted I closed the window then.

Handruin

Administrator
Is it actually customers getting tired, or is it RIM's CEO who is trying to speak for everyone else? This just sounds like normal competitive corporate banter.

Handruin

Administrator
I so want the ios forced autocorrect to go away. I was glad to see the win7 phones input stuff, looks like they put a lot of work in it.

The win7 phones keynote was a disaster though, very unpolished. It started late. The subtitles didn't really keep up and I think the subtitles had problems as there was about 10 minutes of "testing" messages, may be why it started late. At any rate a pretty rocky start to get over.

They were doing pretty good on the content and convergence of features and demoing how things tie into each other, looked pretty good. Then the guy totally wrecked it at the end with the announcement "copy/paste coming soon next year". I was so disgusted I closed the window then.

The auto correct works well for me in iOS. You can disable it, unless if I'm not understanding what you're saying?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Handy, he was responding to a direct attack from Jobs, who was trying to deflect attention from Apple's failure to meet sales targets.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't want it disabled, I want it to suggest but not force a change during typing. I like to get my thought down and then go back and proofread, I believe most people work this way. I do not want to proofread and find words that I did not type. If I don't make a change while typing just put the red underline under there and I will get back to it. winmobile7 nails this, I was pretty impressed at the keynote speed typing and correction portion.

Handruin

Administrator
I know he was, and he should rightfully be annoyed. Jobs is a tool and was starting drama. I'm not defending Jobs in any way, but why is Jim trying to speak for the masses?

Jim Balsillie said:
...we know that Adobe Flash support actually matters to customers who want a real web experience. We also know that while Apple's attempt to control the ecosystem and maintain a closed platform may be good for Apple, developers want more options and customers want to fully access the overwhelming majority of web sites that use Flash.

I know that I want Flash to go away. I don't find a flash-driven website to be a "real" web experience. Apple has gone back on their decision to allow for more development control, which was likely due to a lot of negative feedback and their initial poor decision.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't want it disabled, I want it to suggest but not force a change during typing. I like to get my thought down and then go back and proofread, I believe most people work this way. I do not want to proofread and find words that I did not type. If I don't make a change while typing just put the red underline under there and I will get back to it. winmobile7 nails this, I was pretty impressed at the keynote speed typing and correction portion.

I know what you mean now. The only way to stop an auto correct is to press the little black 'x' by the suggested word while typing which I know is somewhat of a pain if you're on a roll. I find the feature bittersweet because in more cases than not, it helps me finish a longer word by pressing the space key before I've finished typing a longer word.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah but you could have that without the forced autocorrect, these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead of space, just hit the suggested word for example. Not bad but still some room for improvement.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There is no instruction manual? Can't you find one on the interwebs?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Of course there is a manual, but there are so many features on this toy that I don't think it covers them all. My service call as been canceled this evening, so I'll have some spare time to swear at it while learning how to make a simple phone call. It's supposed to be a phone after all.

LunarMist

If you are having difficulty I would have no chance at all with the smarter phones. :pale:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
After completely ignoring the first rule when buying something new (RTFM), I've been able to make a call, setup a contact list, take a photo (that I won't keep) and configure it to communicate via my secured Wifi network. The GPS is absolutely off, pointing my current position at ~2Km of where I really am.

I guess I'll still not too old for smart phone. I'm almost disappointed.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Att just added to their prepaid plans to include smartphone plans. They have some more reasonable data rates than previous prepaid plans but the top one is still only 500mb. You can auto renew early though. Voice is either $2 a day or $.10 a minute. Kicker is you can even put an old iphone on the plan, or old blackberry, android whatever. I signed up and got free activation and free sim.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I would be kind of happy to have an iOS virtual machine today as I troubleshoot calendar sync issues on a phone I don't own or physical access to.

In fact, I bet a lot of people would be happy to get one of those.
So I'm going to try to make one following these directions.

Also, Apple can kiss the darkest, hairiest part of my ass for not having something for us to use in the first place.

Handruin

Administrator
I tried creating a VM over a year ago and never had any good success with it. The performance was awful. Where are you getting your OS X software from in order to get it updated to the latest?

LunarMist

Maybe Merc. was repairing or upgrading somebody's computer. Why is that so surprising?

Handruin

Administrator
Why would a person who wrote "Also, Apple can kiss the darkest, hairiest part of my ass for not having something for us to use in the first place. " buy anything from them?