Is there a way to shut up Jason for a while?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Hi,

Like a bunch of you, I'm fed up of Jason's omnipresent (or invasion) of Storagereview forum. It's well passed the "if you don't like it, just don't read it" stage. It's not possible anymore to avoid his posts : THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!

If I want to read CNN news, I'll go at www.cnn.com, but I don't want it on SR. He used to limit his annoying omnipresence to the B&G forum, but now he is everywhere.

I sympathize with the fact that he is jobless and that he feels lonely, but my patience has its limits and now he reached it. I'm fed up, saturated, I'm done, I'm tired and I'm sick of his +20 posts/day - 7 days/week. I dream of a server with an uptime comparable to his own, but I'm starting to make nightmares about his rave of meanless messages on SR forum. I'm at the point where I only wish to tell him to shut up everytime I stumble on one of his "contributions".

Enough is enough.

Am I alone to think like that?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The post that was the last straw for me is in this thread :
Damit, the stupid message:

You cannot make another post so soon after your last, please try again in a short while

Needs to go away. I can think and type much quicker than that message gives me time for...

Davin/Eugene/Whoever... Please remove the time limit between posts, you guys know I'm not a spamer, but I do type very quick and I can post more often than once per minute...
That's it. I have enough of it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Like no one here has ever sustained 20 posts a day for awhile. :p

I'm frustrated by Jason, too. It sort-of goes against my grain to trash-talk another SR member publicly, but frankly, he knows a lot of people are annoyed by his posting CNN headlines and, well, omnipresence. My read is that he's posting new topics either because he's bored and finds some amount of excitement (a la the days after Sept. 11) in the controversial opinions he expresses - I note, carefully, that Jason doesn't pick fights. Rather, he tends to present topics that encourage others to disagree. Lately, however, even the CNN posts haven't gotten a nibble. In short, SR's B&G died.

How to make him stop:

Has anyone e-mailed him and let him know that his behavior is bothersome?
How about a "We, the undersigned" petition suggesting some alternatives to his present behavior while exploring some of the consequences of his continuous posting?

By the way, Jason's current SR statistics are 1685 posts - 23.7 per day and 8.78% of the total posts on SR (In contrast, Tannin and myself probably represent a quarter of the posts on SF, with the "founders" probably making up another third, but that's with only 30 or so regulars, while Jason's volume of posts probably exceeds the bottom 90% of participants on SR's forums).

Any other ideas? Seriously?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Privately, to myself(whoops not anymore) I refer to it as Jason's news regurgitation service.

I think a kindly worded message to Jason and CCed to webmaster@SR would be the first step. If all the annoyed people did this, the volume would be too big not to notice, if not for Jason then Eugene.

PS. While the sheer volume makes me wonder if he has any friends in the real world to talk about this stuff with; it generally doesn't bother me.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
CougTek said:
Am I alone to think like that?

Nope. You've just quoted my own feelings word-for-word. My own personal method of avoiding his posts has simply been to not visit SR any more. I know this equates to "cutting off your hand to be free of a hangnail", and probably isn't the solution for anyone else.

--Steve

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .... I feel torn two ways on this.

On the one hand, that endless barrage of CNN and Fox News reposts bores me stupid and means that I don't visit SR's Bar and Grille very often anymore. I think a lot of people, like Steve and me, have voted with their feet and tend to avoid both the SR B&G and Jason's threads these days. So, yes, I agree.

On the other hand, there are two considerations. First, Jason is a nice guy. I can't remember the number of times I've crossed swords with him, often in political threads where we both have very different and very strong opinions. Sometimes the discussion has got pretty darn heated, and yet never even once has he stooped to personal abuse or insult. I can pour a bath of acid over Jason in a thread, and no matter how stupid I've tried to make him look, he responds in a civilised and decent way, and we can still share a joke immediately afterwards. He is, in other words, a true gentleman.

Second, some of his threads are excellent. Sure, he starts a lot of rubbish threads, but he starts a lot of good ones too. Here is a recent example - http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1404 - not a thread Jason started, but notice the way his contribution kick-started an interesting and valuable discussion.

And then I log into the SR Bar and Grille and see five more of Jason's rubbish threads and change my mind again ....

Sigh.

Mercutio has a job now, so it must be Jason's turn next. After that, things will return to normal.

Mercutio

Pbbbbbt.

It's not that I was looking for a job, specifically, but more that I want a steady paycheck. Something I wasn't getting. Making $2000 in four days then not working for a month isn't exactly a stable way to live (but then, Tannin probably remembers the early days of his shop).

... and yes, I probably do post nearly as frequently as Jason. Tannin/Tea is just looking for me to have less free time so his can get the highest post count again. :p

Perhaps the return of OT:police or OT:poletzei to smack Jason's thread would send the appropriate message as well.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Stereodude said:
Leave it to the French to be the rude ones. :p

Stereodude
First, I'm not French, I'm Québécois. You speak english, are you British?

About me being rude, well, if I don't express my opinion, no one else will. Besides, in real life, I take it as a compliment to be called "rude".

I agree that Jason is probably a nice guy, but the effects of his "rubbish threads" are still there. As many of you know, I'm not very good in public relations, so I just raise the problem, hoping someone will find a solution. But I think we have to act or else things won't go better.

Mercutio

Perhaps you could take up as OT:Gendarmes (is that spelled properly? Probably not. Close enough)?

I don't see anyone putting forward any better ideas. We should start crafting an e-mail.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Mercutio said:
Perhaps you could take up as OT:Gendarmes (is that spelled properly? Probably not. Close enough)?
Gendarme is spelled correctly, but the "gendarmes" only exist in "La France". Here they are called "policiers" (policemen).

Who writes the e-mail? (looking at others)

Stereodude

Not really a
CougTek said:
Stereodude said:
Leave it to the French to be the rude ones. :p

Stereodude
First, I'm not French, I'm Québécois. You speak english, are you British?

About me being rude, well, if I don't express my opinion, no one else will. Besides, in real life, I take it as a compliment to be called "rude".
Well we now know that the Québécois are rude and in addition to that are unable to take a joke. Did you miss the :p at the end of the post? Lighten up.

Stereodude

CougTek

Serial computer killer
If it wasn't of the risk of draw him over here, I would simply send him an e-mail with the URL of this thread. But some might think it would be a bit rude....

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It would be rude. But better than sending a petition, at least. An email from one single individual is bad enough, a petition arriving out of the blue would be quite horrible. And one should never say something as part of a group that one is not willing to say as a single individual. This is a basic matter of interegrity and moral courage.

Posting in public might be better, if it's desired to do anything at all, rather than just wait until Jason gets a job and the matter blows over all by itself.

And what does Eugene think about it? It's his website, after all.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I wouldn't mind to post a thread on SR to ask Jason to slow down for the good of everyone, but I would need other members to show that they agree about my complain. Or else it won't have any effect else than open a flame between me an Jason.

I don't know what Eugene thinks about it. I suspect he doesn't mind since he did nothing so far (AFAIK). Maybe if he would receive several complains from his senior members, he would let us know what's his position regarding Jason "CNN" Knight.

James

Storage is cool
I suggest some e-mails to him first, then a forum posting. It's the most polite way to proceed.

I'll send him an e-mail now. Anyone else?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Thank you James. It's nice from you to volunteer like that.

I don't have the touch with people so I don't think an e-mail from me would be very effective.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
He should read it, it's his MSN messenger address.

I can always send him a word via Messenger to tell him to look at his hotmail account.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Leave him alone....!!!!!

Guys:
Storage review can provide a great crutch, in bad times, by being able to post quite a bit, and, have all of you as unpaid shrinks, and, a great support group.

Besides, after all the lame, stupid idiots we had posting there, perhaps he will drive a few of them of the map, or, at least, provide intresting topics.

Let time solve the problem...
Please

He's way to nice a guy to bang with a petition, or something like that.

Besides, Tannin, and myself, along with Eric, should all know how valuable being able to post a lot can be...

gs

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I kinda agree with Santilli on this one. Jason can be very helpful. But on the other hand he can be a bit much at times. I think that he has gotten the hint from a few members asking him to subside with the news postings. It's not like they are all crap though, some of the news posts are quite interesting.

I agree that a petition is a bad idea, make the hints subtle. He will get the picture eventually.

James

Storage is cool
If Jason wants help with things, he should post to that effect (or e-mail someone). I don't see how cluttering up SR with news postings is theraputic.

Mercutio

Greg. Tannin: Are you suggesting that there's thereputic value in Jason posting his CNN topics or more-than-once-a-minute two-line replies to every other topic on SR? 'Cause I don't see it.

The commonality between Tannin, Santillii (and I'll include myself as well) is that we post about our personal lives and past experiences. Usually in long, long posts. Eric, on the other hand, made 6200 posts, of which maybe a few dozen were OT prior to the introduction of the Bar and Grille.

Neither of these types fits Jason's mold, which is, in reality, to post all the time, to every thread in Bar and Grille (and, on rarer days, to the Computing forum as well), with little regard for the content of his posts (the "more than once a minute" syndrome... maybe if someone made the comment that the length of time one spends in posting should be more like the time one spends, um, with a woman or something)..

Incidently, an e-mail address Jason does read is jehh_at_vzavenue.net, although he never responded to the last e-mail I sent him there. I'll also say that I feel very badly that I have corresponded with Jason since the formation of this site without revealing its existence to him; shaken of his Headline News posting and poor spelling, he's been an decent member of SR (does anyone remember k-tech prior to 9/11 and the B&G? Totally different person).

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Jason knows all about Storage Forum. He was one of the 18 or so people I included in my original mail-out in early January, and between the four or five mails I sent and the various replies and discussions arising, he would have had at least a dozen different ones. He didn't reply to any of them, and eventually I took his name off the list. (Not that this is actually relevant to anything.)

Mercutio

Respectfully, Tannin, those e-mails were kind-of a mess. I don't think I ever got more than half of them.

Was anything mailed to Jason after the formal creation of Storageforum?

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Respectfully, Tannin, those e-mails were kind-of a mess. I don't think I ever got more than half of them.

Was anything mailed to Jason after the formal creation of Storageforum?

Funny enough, this was the exact reason why I created a forum in the first place. I was having a hard time following the e-mail chain.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Emailing 15 different ways is always a mess. But the reason you never got half of them, Mercutio, is that your ISP's brainless mail server kept spitting them back at me. :-? (I probably still have the "I don't like this host" messages somewhere.) There were never any error messages from Jason's mailbox. He had the opportunity if he wanted it.

But yes Doug, the forum was much better.

James

Storage is cool
I still reckon a polite e-mail is in order. I feel there's a world of difference between venting about personal problems and having an opinion (and then posting) on everything.

Like I said elsewhere, at the moment any posting on SR effectively becomes a conversation with Jason.

Mercutio

Tannin said:
Emailing 15 different ways is always a mess. But the reason you never got half of them, Mercutio, is that your ISP's brainless mail server kept spitting them back at me

My email service provider is just picky about its friends. Evidently, Aussies who send messages to 20 peopel at a time don't qualify. :p

If it makes you feel better, most of the messages between Clipton and myself don't get where they're going either

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
[quote="Mercutio
If it makes you feel better, most of the messages between Clipton and myself don't get where they're going either[/quote]

Tweeeet! Grammer police (insert the funny sound that european police cars make.na ner, na ner, na ner): Incorrect usage of the word "myself".
The phrase should be "me and Cliptin". Oh and THE NAME IS CLIPTIN. This incorrect usage of "myself" was made popular by democratic politicianstrying to sound potificatious. No matter how hard Sesame Street tried to combate it, the big hand was too much. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.