Java 7 released.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Version 1.7.0.1 has been released. Is it ready for primetime this time?

Not unless you're a developer.

Why is Java SE 7 not yet available on java.com?

The new release of Java is first made available to the developers to ensure no major problems are found before we make it available on the java.com website for end users to download the latest version. If you are interested in trying Java SE 7 it can be downloaded from Oracle.com

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Java 7 update 2 is out (as well as Java 6 update 30). Is it finally ready for primetime or is it still a developper toy? Chewbacca wrote that the terrible bug should be dealt with by update 2. Well, is it?

Handruin

Administrator
The bugs in their bug tracking database specific to that issue Chewy mentioned (7044738, 7068051) are marked as fixed and verified and are listed in the 7u2 bugfix list.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So it's a go? Great, so I'll install it on my systems. If it crash, I'll just blame it on you (because someone other than me has to take the blame). I'll be sure to try it first on production machines and not to take backups prior to the installation, like usual.

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like a good plan. I'll be sure to accept your blame.

images

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I just like bigger numbers.

Also, most of the computers I setup aren't touched by a technician for many years after they are first configured. It doesn't matter if nothing uses Java 7 now. In two or three years, it might be another story. I'm not sure the Java update will update the platform from Java 6 to Java 7, but I'm pretty sure that if I install Java 7 right now, it will complain about installing updates for the seventh version later on, so there's an odd chance my customers will have a recent version of Java in the upcoming years. Otherwise, only those who will have screwed their systems and will call me to fix it will have an up-to-date Java engine.

Handruin

Administrator
Regardless of ver 6 or ver 7, the updater will complain of incremental updates until the end of time unless you configure it to not notify your user. Unless you think they actually need Java, I wouldn't even bother putting the JRE on a computer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's preferable if it's there anyway, be it only for not receiving the "Java required" message that pops in LibreOffice when it's not installed. Average users tend to have panic attacks when windows pop up with error messages they don't understand (which they never do).