JRE 1.4.1_02 released.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And you can download it from here. I haven't notice much difference from 1.3 to 1.4.1. In fact, I don't notice Java much at all on my systems. But hey, better Sun's Java than Microsoft JVM, hein?

Java is a language I should learn. Even if it would be just for the kicks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You install java?
Voluntarily?

I've been known to install it long enough to run housecall.antivirus.com and uninstall it when it finishes.
Nothing quite so annoying as realizing the reason you can't cap video is the dumbas java spinning icon on the last web page you visited.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i prefer microsofts Java VM... but i install the SDK/JDK after every reformat... really, I havent noticed any problems since 1.2... all my programs I've written will probably run on 1.1 or better.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
There must be something about the letters "Java". Both Java and JavaScript suck hard. Coincidence? I think not. Almost as bad as those abominations called Real and Flash.

The Grammar Police

Learning Storage Performance
Steady on there, my man. Nothing in the software world is as bad as that. Pour yourself a stiff brandy and calm down a little. Then sit back, relax, and settle back to watch the hordes of people posting in this thread to say that, yes, there is in fact some worse software than Flash or even Realplayer, and that they just happen to have a short list handy - probably in Top Ten format.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
java is good... i prefer it to C+ in a lot of situations when im programming applications (i dont do very many applets)

java script is also very useful in the web world, I am guess \ing to say you base your poor opinions of each becasue of the way some people have misused both. It's not the language that sucks, it's the people abusing it. you should make a clearer distinction...

now realplayer on the otherhand... just sucks...

honold

Storage is cool
javascript has no relation w/java. none. nada.

also, java sucks. see my rants on storagereview's forums for details :)

honold

Storage is cool
double bit CRC error said:
what's your point? no one said Java was perfect.. it has it's uses.

what is YOUR point? i was mounting a case against java in light of people considering it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Java's good for some things, c++ for others... and of course scripting languages for yet more uses... there's a reason why Java is popular, and that's because it fills a niche (cross-platform language for both applications and applets) better than anything else.

But as the Sun memo stated very clearly, the language has its costs. Namely, for applications, it is slower and uses more memory than c++ or comparative languages. However, C++ compiled on one system will not run on another system of a different type... Java will.

Once you understand why Java was made and the reasons why and why not to use it you will see that it's a pretty decent language that accomplishes tasks that no other language can.

honold

Storage is cool
my company's clustering software runs on win32, freebsd, and linux and all shares the same c++ codebase. 99% of it is platform independent, and the stuff that isn't is just very light. service vs daemon was the 'biggest' thing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
honold said:
I was mounting a case against java in light of people considering it.
Honold, what are you trying to do here? You think that because this language doesn't fit your particular needs that no one should waste time using it?

For what it's worth, you are certainly a better programmer than I am. However, I know that millions of people use Java to develop their applications and you won't make me believe that every single one of them doesn't know what they are doing. If your little own self cannot find a use for Java, I know many others that do. Like Blakerwry wrote, Java has its advantages. Denying it is futile and shows a lack of perspective IMO.

If it wasn't better than other languages at certain things, it would simply disapear. Since it's still here, well...pointless debate.

honold

Storage is cool
i guess i should make a note not to make a dissenting opinion about anything on this board unless it's a popular-to-rip-on tech company like ecs or microsoft.

really, debating against debate? wtf?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I wouldn't mind if you were saying "Java isn't good for this" or "Java isn't the most appropriate tool for that". But "Java sucks, period", I mean, come on. None of the companies/softwares I dislike can rationally be described as "sucks, period". If they are famous and widespread, it's because they answered a certain market need. Same goes for Java.

I thought the most irritant speed problems were tackled with 1.3 compared with 1.1. It still isn't on par with C++ and probably cannot be, but now at version 1.4.x, there certainly have been improvements over the poor optimization of version 1.1 and earlier. At least, that is what I would logically guess.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
honold said:
i guess i should make a note not to make a dissenting opinion about anything on this board unless it's a popular-to-rip-on tech company like ecs or microsoft.

really, debating against debate? wtf?

Yeah, it's funny like that. Bash MS and a fun time is had by all. Stick up for MS or bash Java and you get lectured on your bad form...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think MS has really helped the PC industry, of course without MS some other company with a more moral standpoint might have done the same thing that MS has done.

honold

Storage is cool
i think it actually can be as simple as 'it sucks'

if two cars cost 30 grand and look the same but one is faster and has better resale value, you can certainly argue that the first one isn't useless - it does get you from point a to point b. in light of the competition, however, it still sucks. it would be foolish to not consider the competition's merits.

i'm not buying the cross-platform bit because it just doesn't work like that. faster prototyping and garbage collection to compensate for poor speed and inflexibility? there are plenty of other languages that do that.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The diference is more like the difference between a 4 door sedan and a 2 seater convertable...

They are 2 different monsters.

cross-platform just doesn't work like what?

it's very important for applets to be cross platform... but it's also nice when applications can run in linux the same as they do in windows... without having to get seperate source or recompile the code from the author...

honold

Storage is cool
the java 'write once, run everywhere' propaganda is bs

there are innumerable, crucial parts of the language that are os-specific. you'll notice most actual java APPLICATIONS have multiple versions for different oses. that's why. it goes about as far as 'hello world' in terms of flying anywhere. once you add networking and a ui the os-specific releases tend to show up :(

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
It's up to the programmer to take the time to do it right.

If cross-platform programming is important to what they're writing then it *can* be accomplished...

of course they can program something that will only run under a specific OS... the point is that if they're interested they can break that barrier...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
it's very important for applets to be cross platform... but it's also nice when applications can run in linux the same as they do in windows... without having to get seperate source or recompile the code from the author...

I would rather get the c source code and compile it on my system fresh and optimized instead of using a buggy, bloated, proprietary interpreter that is like running a program on top of another program.

I think MS has really helped the PC industry, of course without MS some other company with a more moral standpoint might have done the same thing that MS has done.

And if it had been Sun? They have been trying to dominate the Internet and corporate networks for years; they just haven't been able to make it happen. Java was supposed to be Sun's baby that obviated the need for other languages and would allow Sun to replace MS' dominance with their own. Too bad both Kim Polese and the technical merits of the language itself were both overhyped. Strange, but I still get a kick out of how Wintel and Lintel came in and double-teamed Sun out of mucho market share in the server market with their overpriced proprietary hardware.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
e_dawg said:
blakerwry said:

I would rather get the c source code and compile it on my system fresh and optimized instead of using a buggy, bloated, proprietary interpreter that is like running a program on top of another program.

And if it had been Sun? They have been trying to dominate the Internet and corporate networks for years; they just haven't been able to make it happen. Java was supposed to be Sun's baby that obviated the need for other languages and would allow Sun to replace MS' dominance with their own. Too bad both Kim Polese and the technical merits of the language itself were both overhyped. Strange, but I still get a kick out of how Wintel and Lintel came in and double-teamed Sun out of mucho market share in the server market with their overpriced proprietary hardware.

Source ain't always free e_dawg.... I really dont care to argue the MS debate or even a Sun debate here... start another thread and maybe I'll throw in my $0.02(probably not)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I really dont care to argue the MS debate or even a Sun debate here... start another thread and maybe I'll throw in my $0.02(probably not)

No thanks! That's an exercise in futility if there ever was one... :)

honold

Storage is cool
we only support java 1.3.1 through our api as well because of bugs