question Junking traditional TV for streaming only

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
My cable TV has been supplied by my Apt complex. Well, as of Dec 31 they are not going to do that any more. My choices are to Stay conventional and buy into Comcast; Go for a Satellite service like DirectTV/Dish network; or go totally non conventional and subscribe to streaming services like Hulu/Netflix.

After researching the costs associated with Comcast/dish/DirectTV I'm really inclined to go to then non conventional route. I would like others experiences with streaming TV including which set-top boxes are preferred, user interfaces, services, etc. I've never even used Netflix so that will give you somewhere to start

Questions abound like the convieniance of the user interface of the different boxes out there like blue-ray players with apps compatibility; a PS3, set-top boxes like ROKU or even simply using a PC with Microsoft's media player.

I even wonder if I buy into a box/player, will it last long-term as the streaming services change over time or do I take a serious risk of being orphaned. Do I run the risk of rampant inflation of streaming costs as content suppliers demand more payment? What about avail of content long-term? Lots of questions and issues that require a crystal ball.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Netflix has a streaming only plan. Hulu has free and premium content. Both are priced at $7.99 a month. That's a good start.

Torrents are so disgustingly easy to work that some clients allow for scheduled downloads of new TV shows via RSS. If you want to make it safer from a legal standpoint, pay for BTguard or Seedbox. BTguard is $7 a month.

GoogleTV is blocked by most video services at the moment. I don't expect that to last; they just want some money from Google.

Honestly, I still think a PC attached to a TV is the right way to go, but others will suggest Xbox or PS3 systems. I think the PC has the highest level of flexibility to deal with whatever changes come. There's no sense in waiting for Roku or S*ny to update to support whatever the next new thing happens to be.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Is hulu only nbc content or more than that?
How do you get ABC/CBS/NBC/WB/SciFi? Most of those I could go online but when for instance I went online to look for streaming smallville episodes there wasn't much.

Stereodude

Not really a
What's wrong with an antenna, a HDHomerun, and a PC?

I don't see why I should pay Hulu or anyone else for what I can get with no monthly charge. OTA HD has better quality than any streaming option and you can remove / skip the commercials.

Mercutio

Hulu has content from all the major broadcast networks and most major movie studios. It has SciFi and Fox and ABC and CBS stuff, and Fox and Universal movies, among others. The problem is that premium content is weirdly inconsistent. So for example, Hulu Plus might have season 2 of Desperate Housewives or 24 but not Season 1.

Netflix, on the other hand, tends to have whole series from start to finish on streaming. Netflix also gets Starz and Showtime content at the same time it's airing on those channels, so Netflix subscribers can watch shows like Dexter basically the same day they're on TV.

Handruin

Administrator
I went the route of basic cable + Internet (since it was cheaper packaged) and spent my time streaming through netflix via xbox 360 (I have the streaming plus 1 disc and BR add-on). I've done this ever since netflix streaming was released on the xbox 360 as an integrated feature. Granted I pay the xbox live gold membership for playing games, so if you don't have an xbox 360, it might not be worth using just for netflix because of the added expense of a gold membership. I've heard (but cannot comment first hand) that the PS3 Netflix integration is nicer than the xbox 360, so if you wanted a bluray/netflix/gaming console, that may be an option to consider. There may also be a TV service for the xbox 360 down the road, but I think it's just rumors right now and no mention of pricing.

I also have netflix integrated into my Samsung bluray player (BD-P1600) which wasn't expensive when I bought it. The user interface isn't as nice and responsive as the xbox 360, but it's usable. i bought it for the BR player more than the integrated netflix and pandora...they're bonus features.

I've done much like Mercutio has pointed out for things like Dexter, but I don't recall them being quite so instantaneous in terms of releasing content in streaming. I watched season 1 & 2 of Dexter and had to get the BR version of season 3 because it wasn't out yet for streaming. I watched it a while ago and it's still not available for streaming season 3 nor is season 4 (I just checked). None the less I still like this better than cable, although I did just recently get FiOS.

With netflix and a basic cable subscription, I caught up on a lot of shows and watched some shows I never knew about. I felt the money was well worth spending on a subscription and I still do.

Mercutio

I really don't use Netflix streaming very often. I remember that Netflix offered me Season 4 episodes while season 4 was still airing, but I could be mistaken.

The main use I have for Netflix streaming is watching Documentaries that I don't think are worth putting in my regular queue.

ddrueding

Fixture
We have a computer hooked to the projector. We have a netflix subscription, combined with Bittorrent for stuff that doesn't air in the US. When we move I will likely get a basic cable subscription along with the data, a decent antenna and a HomerunHD.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I'm not seeing a way to junk everything to just stream. I see no real streaming of things like local news.

I looked at hulu vs. hulu+ and I find it strangely inconvenient for the paid version doesn't contain the stuff in the free version. so one has to look in both. When I look at set top boxes they are compatible with Hulu+ but not Hulu? I agree with Mercutio that even with both the offerings seem spotty.

Streaming Netflix does not seem to be very complete. A large amount of the programming only comes from shipping DVD's rather than allowing it to be streamed. The whole point of streaming is the immediacy and that appears to be missing for a lot of stuff.

I rather excluded torrenting for I don't want to have to plan my TV watching. The likelihood that I'll think about what I'm going to watch a day ahead so that it will be DL'ed and ready to watch when I want to watch it is unlikely. I just want to turn on the TV, make a choice and go in a rather mindless way.

Are there other services that do better? What I'm seeing is just not ready for prime-time yet? Is it that I'm just thinking of being an early adopter for I'm getting frustrated at the current choices.

Mercutio

You're missing torrents. Torrents complete everything but sports and local news. You should have other sources for news and I don't think sports should exist in the first place.

ddrueding

Fixture
One of the things I like most about torrenting is that it prevents me from burning hour after hour not watching anything in particular. I find a show I like, download all of them, and then watch them over the next months when I feel like them.

TVTorrents will even add your favorite shows to a list and inform you when new ones are out (about 4 hours after airing). They even output an RSS feed on shows that BT clients can monitor automatically, so the show is on your computer without any intervention as quickly as possible.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
One of the things I like most about torrenting is that it prevents me from burning hour after hour not watching anything in particular. I find a show I like, download all of them, and then watch them over the next months when I feel like them.

+1 I haven't had cable for years and I don't think I am missing anything. Between netflix, hulu torrents and just plain buying shows you like you get quality screen time without the filler.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
+1 I haven't had cable for years and I don't think I am missing anything. Between netflix, hulu torrents and just plain buying shows you like you get quality screen time without the filler.
Since you are not missing anything, how do you get local news and current sports? I don't see that any of streaming methods giving you those.

I can probably live without sports - not a particular sports fan. But no news? In my local area the local/regional newspapers subscriptions cost more than basic cable. I had junked those in favor of TV and internet web sites, several years ago

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Since you are not missing anything, how do you get local news and current sports? I don't see that any of streaming methods giving you those.

I can probably live without sports - not a particular sports fan. But no news? In my local area the local/regional newspapers subscriptions cost more than basic cable. I had junked those in favor of TV and internet web sites, several years ago

Is an antenna out of the question?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
First, yes the newspaper has a web-site but it is designed specifically to just give teasers (not any full story) to encourage paper subscriptions.

I have considered an antenna but the odds are poor. I'm roughly 50 miles from the major city with all the local stations and my Apt. is at the bottom of a large hill that blocks the way. People that I have talked to in the area say reception is poor (I am likely to only get one station or none). Never really needed to actually buy an indoor HDTV antenna but now that it may be necessary, I think it is likely a bad investment.

That being said, If I can get at least one major broadcaster then maybe it is enough.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Torrents sound like the way to go. No commercials, most of the time in either HD, or close.
I have a list of shows, check regularly, and use a separate server box for just that.
Then transfer to main machine over network. Torrents go through two different Virus software, and, are the downloading machine is running Peerblock, or it's current version of program.

You then have the choice to store, or delete.

The other thing I have is blockbuster and their unlimited DVD/Blurays by mail, with local exchange, 3 at a time. About 40 dollars, and, considering one movie trip is about that, it's a great investment.

News: Google, or some other form.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Well, I'm going to at least experiment with torrents and see if it matches my lifestyle. I'm also going to order the minimum Comcast to get local stations (i.e. news). At $12.95/month that isn't too excessive. I also ordered a cheap HDMI video card to use in an old P4 Dell that I wasn't using.

I wonder if or how often I'll run into the 250GB Comcast cap doing it this way?

Mercutio

I wonder if or how often I'll run into the 250GB Comcast cap doing it this way?

It depends a lot on how much stuff you feel you need. Personally a normal weekday for me is around 20GB. On a boring Sunday I might very well jump up to 50GB transferred. My router says I used 1391GB last month.

I'm probably a bit of an outlier though.

Mercutio

Does the Comcast limit only include downloaded data or is upload included as well?

Both. According to my students, they call and tell you even if you only went over by a tiny bit, like 3GB. Comcast says it only flags the top 10% of people who exceed the cap.

I'm not sure which is true, but there's a reason I'm not on consumer service.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Both. According to my students, they call and tell you even if you only went over by a tiny bit, like 3GB. Comcast says it only flags the top 10% of people who exceed the cap.

I'm not sure which is true, but there's a reason I'm not on consumer service.

In the first case, I can't believe I haven't been contacted yet. I generally seed torrents at 120-150 kBps for pretty much the entire month. That works out to ~303-380GB. This doesn't include any torrent downloads, or other web browsing.

Mercutio

The words 'digital hoarder' come to mind.

Well, yeah. But I've always been that.

timwhit, there may very well be a regional component? If they're going off top 10% for people who live in high-rises around the Loop you probably aren't even on their radar.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
timwhit, there may very well be a regional component? If they're going off top 10% for people who live in high-rises around the Loop you probably aren't even on their radar.

Let's hope it stays that way. How much extra does it cost to move to a business account with no real bandwidth limits?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I DL'ed and installed Vuze as my torrent program. It seemed to work fine and certainly had enough screens with changing numbers to attempt to keep my hypnotized watching them. Does it really matter what torrent client one uses?

All I can say is that The first torrent I decided to DL was 175GB (All the old Dr. Who episodes). It took a total of 3 days to get to 230GB at which I stopped it so I could continue using the web the rest of the month. I guess I'll finish it in January. If this is any sign of what is to come, then there definitely will be a problem. Long-term One can't use up the entire months allocation in 3 days without occasionally making an error. I am consistently impressed with the BW I'm getting from Comcast though.

I can confirm that Comcast counts uploads as well as downloads in their data cap! Even while torrenting my normal web activity was not impinged at all. Pages came up just as fast. Except that I already knew that I was torrenting, I would not have known it was running in the background.

On torrents, I had always thought that DL speed was supposed to be proportional to upload speed. I did not find that to be the case. As far as I can tell, the torrent's DL and UL bandwith usage depended totally upon the random peers and what they could take and give rather than any limitation by Comcast or upload BW. After the first day, I did arbitrarily cap my upload speed to 300KB/s because I didn't want the uploading to use up my all my data cap and placing that UL limit did not seem to affect how fast I DL'ed.

Mercutio

Let's hope it stays that way. How much extra does it cost to move to a business account with no real bandwidth limits?

I asked very specifically and was told in no uncertain terms: Comcast business customers have no bandwidth caps. I pay $115 a month, I think, but I have two tiers of service upgrades. $90 or $100 is what most of my customers pay.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I called Comcast and at a residence you can only get Business Class Internet or Phone service. So, if you want television you need to stay with a consumer television plan. This means that none of the package deals will apply.

Handruin

Administrator
I DL'ed and installed Vuze as my torrent program. It seemed to work fine and certainly had enough screens with changing numbers to attempt to keep my hypnotized watching them. Does it really matter what torrent client one uses?

I used to use the former version of Vuze (Azureus) before they integrated tons of (bloat) features. I haven't used it in several years, so things may have improved.

It's a matter of personal opinion and perhaps feature set, but I'm a minimalist and I like the speed, efficiency, and simplicity of utorrent. It has always worked fine for me and it has been very reliable and fast.

Handruin

Administrator
To timwhit and Mercutio, do you guys use any supplemental software or services to protect from getting nabbed/sued for your torrenting?