KaZaA Lite sites all down

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
www.kazaalite.tk has been shut down
www.kazaalite243.com and www.kazaalitesite.com now both lead to Google.

Is it the end of KaZaA lite? I'm quite pissed about this, since I find it totally unacceptable to have as only solution to resort to the regular KaZaA which installs shitty spyware applications that should be illegal IMO. I still don't understand why no one is suing KaZaA and why we let KaZaA lite being attacked by the obviously evil entity.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've noticed that almost all Kazaa Lite machines share the Kazaa Lite installer. So oddly enough, one of the best places to look for it is on Fasttrack.

Also, you could try running GiFT with the FastTrack plug-in. Not as nice as Kazaa Lite but miles better than Kazaa or Grokster.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The main reason I'm pissed about the vanishing of Kazaalite sites was that they had started to offer as a free download a version of NOD32 (that only scans with all the latest updates, but which cannot be updated). I used it once a week and every now and then on customers' systems when I suspected there was something wrong.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Say this on DietK, dated of December 6th :
Source:PeerGuardian Forums

Speaking with RatFaced, one of the Kazaa Lite forum moderators today and our contact at K-Lite, I have uncovered news that the Kazaa Lite K++ project has been shut down by Sharman Networks on grounds of copyright infringement.
The project, which had been set up to block spy and ad ware within the Kazaa Media Desktop Program has achieved notoriety within the P2p world through its simplistic approach and success in reverse engineering the Kazaa application.

However, the program infringed on the copyright of Sharman Networks, the company that now own and program the Kazaa Media Desktop application, after the purchase of the code and copyright in 2002. The FastTrack (Kazaa) network is financed through advertising systems, which Kazaa Lite K++ does not include, and so was seen as a threat by the owners.

Sharman have threatened legal action, and ordered that the offending content be removed from the official Kazaa Lite sites, including http://www.kazaalite.tk/ which now contains no reference to the existance of the application.

RatFaced said that the decision was “Ironic, that Kazaa is complaining about copyright issues, especially as K-Lite ++ stands for everything that Kazaa CLAIMS to stand for... but fails to deliver.”

We will perhaps never see Kazaa Lite again, but we can hope that users will remain aware of the spyware that is hidden inside the Kazaa application, which is used to finance the creation of the software.

eMule and WinMX offer spyware-free alternatives to Kazaa.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had pretty good luck with googling for "Kazaa Lite Resurection". I
I've also seen older versions on the eDonkey network and on torrent sites like suprnova.

Not that I ever go there or use horrible, bad, evil programs liek that. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
I find it odd that this topic was dredged up after lying dormant for 9 months. moirone, please respond to this topic again.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the info about Kazaa Lite Resurrection. I've started to use eDonkey lately, but I prefer the old Kazaa Lite. I'll try the latest version.

Anyone knows what's Clean Kazaa Media Desktop? I figure it's the standard Kazaa Media Desktop minus the adware, but I'm not sure.

moirone

What is this storage?
Clean Kazaa Media Desktop is...

Clean Kazaa Media Desktop (also known as CleanKMD) is the standard Kazaa Media Desktop 2.6.0 without the SPYware and ADware.