Kubuntu supports 16:10 format, great!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
KDE looks great on the DVI input of my Dell 2005FPW. We are planning to start bundling a yet-to-be-decided Linux distro with some of our cheapo computer systems at the shop. Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 will officially launch in June. Juging by its Flight 7 release (kinda like a beta 7), it will probably be the one we'll choose.

Typing this post, I've found out that there is a keyboard layout issue in their French canadian implementation. I think what they call French canadian is in fact Canadian multilingue, which is significantly different. I don't know where to find the keys to type [ and ] for instance. And the place where I normally find ' puts < instance. So sorry for any possible typing mistake that might appear in my future posts.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nice excuse, Coug ;)

If you guys would just make up your mind on the languages and choose english, this wouldn't be a problem :mrgrn:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My honeymoon with Kubuntu was short. Konqueror's rendering sucks, so I tried to install Firefox. I went to mozilla.com and downloaded the tar.gz file. I extracted it with Ark without problem. Then I tried to fire it up. There seems to be only two executable files inthe Firefox directory : Firefox.? and run-mozilla.sh. I tried both : no result. Then I went to the terminal and chmod +x both, then tried to launch them. Again, nothing.

Then I made more ventilation on my tower and rebooted in Windows.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Oh and I found where to fix the keyboard layout issue and that was all fine at the end, except that my Linux journey ended only half-an-hour later due to the Firefox screw up.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Back in Linux...and on Firefox. I went to the Add/Remove programs windows and selected Firefox to be installed. Done. I have my favorite browser now. It was too simple for me to think about it I guess.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think Ubuntu is more polished than Kubuntu. I used to like KDE much better than Gnome but I 'm fine with Gnome now.

Sol

Storage is cool
After a couple of attempts to use Debian based distros I think I finally "think Debian" enough to be able to do it.
For example your firefox problem should have been solved by, instead of even going to the firefox site, just using apt or synaptic. "sudo apt-get install firefox" for example would have worked.

After searching arround for a decent bittorrent program I could install on debian for about an hour before realising that "apt-get install bittornado" would have worked just fine, I finally got the whole concept of why debian (and Ubuntu/Kubuntu) is so cool...

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I too made the mistake of installing from the firefox website when I first got Debian. It took a bit to start thinking the "Debian way." As Coug implied, some (some) things in Linux are just so simple that they are easily overlooked.

I recommend Kubuntu based on what I've heard about the Ubuntu distro as a whole, although I would certainly try to make it more secure than the default. That's why I like Debian. Also, one should definitely check out Kanotix if Debian-based distros are being considered.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
RWIndiana said:
Also, one should definitely check out Kanotix if Debian-based distros are being considered.

Calling anything based on Debian-Sid "rock-solid" is engaging in a bit too much hyperbole for me to take it seriously.

Sol

Storage is cool
I've never had any stability problems with Debian or it's derivatives. I've had no end of configuration issues trying to get X running on a TV but the only time I've ever seen it crash was when I accidently unpluged a network card whilst it was running...

Fedora on the other hand finishes booting from a clean install only about half the time in my experience... I'm sure you can get the percentage higher with a bit of work but I think I'll just stick with Debian...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My experience with Ubuntu, the couple times I've tried it, has been dismal, but the only problems I've had with Fedora have come from corrupted ISO downloads.

Maybe it's what you're used to.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Howell said:
Calling anything based on Debian-Sid "rock-solid" is engaging in a bit too much hyperbole for me to take it seriously.

. . . pretty sure I didn't say that, but I could be wrong (maybe you were referring to someone else). Anyway, I do think Debian Sid is far more stable than some other distros. I have never had any issues at all, except with installing new packages where one needs to be careful and watch what's going on. Ubuntu is also based on Sid.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Version 6.06 is now officially out. It is the first Ubuntu/Kubuntu version to ship with the extra long support (3 years desktop / 5 year server).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I can't find a way to make this Linksys wireless toy work on the Kubuntu box. We will start installing Kubuntu on all our systems next week for customers who don't want to pay for a legit Windows copy. In the meanwhile, I installed Kubuntu on a system in the front of the store where no wire goes and hoped I could connect it wirelessly to the web.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
I can't find a way to make this Linksys wireless toy work on the Kubuntu box. We will start installing Kubuntu on all our systems next week for customers who don't want to pay for a legit Windows copy. In the meanwhile, I installed Kubuntu on a system in the front of the store where no wire goes and hoped I could connect it wirelessly to the web.

I had no problem at all using this Hawking Technologies HWU54D Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter.

In fact, I spent a day working with ndiswrapper before I realized it was already working. This was before 6.06 went final so things might have changed.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The only network card detected by Kubuntu is the one integrated on the motherboard. I've found a driver for the USB wireless network toy, but it looks like something I'll have to compile in order to make it work. When will click and run arrive on Linux?