KVM suggestions

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
I'm building a new PC soon, and my old PC will still be around, although it's components will be pared down a bit. I'll likely turn my old PC into a file server, and who knows what else (space warmer and jukebox, perhaps). My new PC will run with a LCD and 19" CRT. I'd like to be able to toggle the CRT, keyboard, and mouse between the two PCs. Since my mouse plugs into my keyboard, with USB extension cables I can simply plug/unplug a single USB cable to switch the keyboard mouse over if I want to keep things cheap. But toggling over the monitor is harder. It looks like I can get a cheapo D-sub 2-computer KVM for $20. Are these things decent? I remember running a really cheap KVM back in ~1999 and the picture quality was horrible and the PS2 mouse frequently was dropped.

The other option, I suppose, is to run VNC which I'm more than satisfied to do if I'm only playing with the old PC now and then. From back in my dual computer days (again, ~1999) and with the setup at school that I ran in 2003-5, VNC was pretty slow but managable.

ddrueding

Fixture
Depending on your LCD, it may have a VGA and a DVI port on the back. If it does, you can switch between the sources with a button on the front. If you won't be switching much, this plus your USB switch would be the easiest/cheapest way to do it.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Great thought, DD! I just took the LCD off auto-source, and now I can just flick a button on the front to switch between digital (soon to be new PC) and analog (will soon be my old PC). Now I just need to rig up two USB extension cables and place their ends conveniently on my desk, and I'll be able to switch my keyboard and mouse between the two PCs. And all for zero money!

Sol

Storage is cool
I did a similar thing a while back but invested in a cheap KVM for the keyboard and mouse.
I guess it depends on how much your switching but if you take the monitor out of the equation then a serviceable KVM really does cost very little.