Laptop Coolers?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a client who likes using her laptop on her lap for extended periods. Now that it's getting warmer, she's having a problem with it cooking up her legs.

I'm generally clueless when it comes to laptop accessories. I have seen laptop coolers online in the past, but don't know what they'd do, other than act as a buffer and, in those models so equipped, run some air past the computer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

ddrueding

Fixture
You pretty much have their purpose down. It's a hard surface that has a fan or two in it. IMHO, the fans are a gimmick that manages to drain your battery (they run off USB power). So tell her just to get a book or cookie sheet (what I use) and use it a buffer. Most importantly it will make sure the air vents below the laptop aren't obstructed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I run FAH on my work laptop and it gets pretty warm. Borderline hot. So I don't fry the machine I use this laptop cooler. Air is drawn in over the top of the cooler/bottom of the laptop and is vented out the back. It's only $13 and I've noticed a distinct drop in temps on my keyboard and over other areas where the chassis temp rises. I've not used it in my lap, though.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Would it be a good idea to open up the laptop and clean any heatsinks/fans?

I've never pulled mine apart so I don't know how to do it. Advice? Dell Inspiron 6400.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Get one of these and use it as a little desk for writing too:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=5-24|PageID=1096|Level=2-3|Link=PI|special=search|ID=SearchClicked|i=1

I use a pillow sometimes but thats bad as it blocks vents.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Please stop telling people about laptop coolers! I really want to admit somebody in the next few years with partial-thickness burns on the thighs and have to explain this to my attending/consultant. And I'm still waiting to see an electrocution after a Peltier cooled-overclock goes horribly wrong.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've actually had to deal with people who do stupid things like use their laptops on high-pile carpet (laying on the floor) or on their laps, on top of their blankets in bed. If they buy particularly retarded bottom-venting laptops, just doing that is enough to kill the whole computer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
He must have replaced an anesthesist. Apparently, the stuff they play with is quite strong and the emanations they inhale, even in small quantities, make them crazy. Many are also drug addicts (according to Andy himself).

Adcadet

Storage Freak
He must have replaced an anesthesist. Apparently, the stuff they play with is quite strong and the emanations they inhale, even in small quantities, make them crazy. Many are also drug addicts (according to Andy himself).
Naw, I'm doing Internal Medicine, at least for the next 3 years. After that it's likely cardiology, or maybe pulmonary/critical care. And anesthesiologists are crazy before they begin training, and in fact, it's a prerequisite. Especially if you're talking about the more European-style anesthesiologists, the ones that are the super-doctors much more so than the US versions due to differences in practice patterns and how different duties are split up between different docs. If I were in Europe I might very well have gone the anesthesiology route, whereas it was only a passing interest for me here in the US.

Anyway, I figure if there's a great and previously unreported case series of laptop scaldings I might see it in my new gig.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
So, this appears to be a work laptop that she uses while at home and on the road. When at home, it's plugged-in, and she is generally using it on a sofa. She probably wouldn't take a cooler on the road. While at home, she said that she sometimes uses a throw pillow, but it doesn't seem to work out well.

I had found this one here via Amazon:
http://www.eforcity.com/pothxxnbfan2.html

There's a slightly more wizbang model with a media reader. I'll present all of them and let her choose, although I think that Fushigi's option is a pretty good choice.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Would it be a good idea to open up the laptop and clean any heatsinks/fans?

I've never pulled mine apart so I don't know how to do it. Advice? Dell Inspiron 6400.

Bump. Anyone? Easy to do? Void warranty?

Mercutio

My experiences working on Inspirons lead me to tell you this:
Once you take it apart you will never get it to fit back the way it was. This is not a problem with Latitudes, or even with other laptops in general. Most Inspirons, though, seem to need a prying tool to aid in disassembly, and invariably you'll break a tab off or something while you figure that out.

The other thing that I know is that the Inspirons I've done fan maintenance on, I've had to remove literally every other part from the chassis to get to the fan so I could oil it or replace it.

I've only worked on maybe eight or ten Inspirons but I groan every time someone brings me one.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Yep. My Latitude D800 from work will turn three years old in September; I'll get to replace it with a new laptop then (we buy a 3 year Gold warranty and can replace the machines after the warranty expires). It's been a good machine and has only suffered a failed (Hitachi) hard drive during it's life.

Every notebook I get has the HD fail at some point around 12-15 months. The replacement drive, though, never fails; my old laptop's replacement drive is still going after 5 years.

Latitudes get the engineering dollars and Inspirons get the leftovers. I'm convinced of that.

Stereodude

Not really a
If you guys think PC laptops get hot use a Apple notebook. Those things will burn you. Apparently uncle Steve put form way ahead of function.

Mercutio

Apple's notebooks are made by Asus.
Asus notebooks don't seem to get hot. No idea what's going on there.

Also, Latitudes and Inspirons are made by different companies.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Latitudes get the engineering dollars and Inspirons get the leftovers. I'm convinced of that.
After using an Inspiron that I bought and Latitude that my work/school provided, side-by-side for 2 years, I'm convinced of exactly what you say. Not that there aren't some good Inspirons at good prices. But the construction and engineering on the Latitudes seem a big step up. Next time I'm buying a laptop with m own money I'll look at both, but if I can't get an Inspiron for a lot cheaper I'll pay up for a Latitude. Or just get an IBM/Lenovo.

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
FWIW I can agree on the Latitude/Inspiron comments above. My work laptop is an Inspiron and my b/f's work laptop is a Latitude. The Latitude is the superior machine and lesss flimsy when it comes to taking it apart.

Regarding disassembly of the Inspiron, Merc is absolutely right. The disassembly is not a smooth process by any means. Mine was running terribly because it was running hot and the fan would never go off. I finally decided that I would risk taking it a part to get all the dust out of it. I am amazed that I did not break anything when I took it apart. It made the most awful cracking and popping noises and I had to pry at it from all angles. I have taken apart several gateway laptops, a latitude and an alienware and the Inspiron was by far the worst.

In the end I was better off for doing it (no more heat problems) but I am in no hurry to do it again.... ever.

Now, regarding the laptop coolers... I have a question about that as well. Does anyone know if any of them fit well with a 17" widescreen laptop? The b/f has an alienware that has heat issues even after it has been cleaned. It is less than a year old and I know the heat issues will lessen its lifespan.

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering the hardware Alienware is notorious for putting in their laptops, heat issues are likely to happen regardless. The only thing they are efficient about is converting their battery to heat as quickly as possible.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
That is the best idea. From what I have seen the T series Lenovo are better than anything Dell makes.
Last I looked, which was years ago, the IBM's were a lot more expensive than the Dells. But after playing with a few friend's machines, I have a vague understanding of why that is.

Mercutio

AD, here's the ultimate IBM testimonial:

I stepped on one. Full weight, on the not-screen side.
The damned thing did not break. It wasn't even DAMAGED.

I've seen coffee spilled in them. It all went out the bottom of the unit, no harm done, other than needing a keyboard cleaning.

The inertial sensor they have on the HDD? Works beautifully.

They have smallish screens and crummy graphics chipsets, but nothing is as beautiful as 5lb. dual core notebook that has five hours of battery life. If my T60 had boobs I might not completely hate my life.

ddrueding

Fixture
There was a time when I would have wanted one, but they might have well gotten rid of the battery altogether and just required constant AC.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Last I looked they still were much more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Won't you be a doctor making boatloads in only a few years after you complete your residency? You need to upgrade your lifestyle, the money will be there soon enough.

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
I would love to hear justification from ANYONE for buying a "portable" computer with an eight to ten minute battery life.

We really have no room for another desktop. Desktop means another desk and another monitor. Therefore, although the 17" Alienware is a bit bulky, it is only meant to be portable enough to be at point A or point B in the same house. Since we both play games he wanted something that could handle his games but not take up a whole corner of the house. Battery life is not a huge issue since it can be plugged in. Although I prefer my desktop, I can why he wanted something smaller. No matter what way you look at it, a big laptop is still more portable than a monitor and a pc tower. Besides, I merely asked about cooling it and didn't expect to have to justify the having it. :razz:

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
You guys just fill me with joy and happiness about Dell :)

The Inspiron was about $1 000 cheaper than the Latitude. That did influence my decision. As for HP/IBM/Lenovo/Toshiba, I looked, but no one other than Dell was shipping Core 2 Duo's when I purchased. Lot's of Core Duo's, but no Core 2's, and nobody from IBM/Toh et. al wanted to tell me when Core 2's would ship (this was last Sept/Oct), so Dell it was.

I'll have a go at opening it up later. Thanks for the advice.