Laptop with Warranty and RS-232

ddrueding

Fixture
I know there are USB-> Serial adapters, and they all suck. This company won't support their product if I use one, either. I really want it to be new with warranty, and of course cheap is good.

I've already checked Dell and Lenovo, and even Dell Refurbs don't have serial any more.

The vendor recommends a Dell Latitude D630, which hasn't been in their refurb section for ages.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have used a few different serial to USB adapters for differnet applications and they all worked well. Mostly Cisco and HAM radio equipment.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
This company won't support their product if I use one, either. I really want it to be new with warranty, and of course cheap is good.

More to the question, I don't know of a new laptop with one.

That company should expect to keep losing customers to other vendors who understand that technology progresses. Than again, maybe you can provide support to all of those you need it. :D

ddrueding

Fixture
What they are actually trying to do is get us to upgrade our equipment. Of course, the new equipment is identical to the old (except it has USB), and a $45k+ price tag.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
By warranty U mean, manufacturers? A laptop in production current, available for sale as new, as opposed to refurb./discontinued models?

And a Express card >rs232 adapter is unacceptable, u've tried those?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Knock, knock...does it require a DE-9 connector (DB9)...9pin?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I know there are USB-> Serial adapters, and they all suck. This company won't support their product if I use one, either. I really want it to be new with warranty, and of course cheap is good.

Define 'cheap' as a range, please.

Can it be a new laptop, but discontinued model, foregoing the manufacturers warranty...if it's really 'cheap'?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
alright dd's apparently preoccupied, I'll come back later to see the replies :)

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry, out for dinner. Under $1700 would be good, under $900 would be awesome. I haven't tried the Expresscard adapters, though that is a good thought. Keep in mind though that I really want a supported configuration, which I believe requires a non-adaptered DB9 port.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry, out for dinner. Under $1700 would be good, under $900 would be awesome. I haven't tried the Expresscard adapters, though that is a good thought. Keep in mind though that I really want a supported configuration, which I believe requires a non-adaptered DB9 port.

Well since ur going with old antiquated i/o, thought I should ask, cause originally like parallel (or scsi connectors for Mac :p ) they were all 25pin. Lots of older scientific/instrument equip still use that craptastic old 25pin config.

Umm, don't know if it's internally just a USB to serial port adaptation or has the real UART controller inside, I"m just not knowledgeable enough on those things...so you would be wise to call tech support, and get a definitive answer b4 u purchase such a laptop.

Google is ur friend :D... or, I don't get paid enough for these simple searches on dialup...how bout as a reward, paying for 2yrs of 3G modem data plan for my laptop :p?

Verizon's new Pre or Pixi smartphone deal (cause they got's tons of unsold product in Palm's inventory) will cost me only $30-50 for the phone, and I get free Wi-Fi hotspot (means I can use the phone as an web access point), in the deal...but the min service plan is $30/mo for 450min...now does that count for the usage of the teethered data device (laptop) usage, including the 450min talk time, or is it separate? Can I make & receive simultaneous voice & data, so I can drop my land line#? If so, then it's an addtional $40/mo for the smartphone data plan... ie. $70/mo, which is better than paying and additional $40 for tethering data plan, but still too much 4 me :).

But I digress,

Dell 5500 (only one on their site I can see) has a 9pin connector on it's side panel, right next to the VGA 15pin connector. Click on 'Tech Specs' tab, and U can scroll down the page for list of ports which does state "serial". But, d/l the pdf of specs on the 5500 & 5400 and in ports section, it does not list 'serial'. Call an verify.

Latitude E5500 - Laptop | Dell

^click on images/features pix to see ports on one side.

Accessories on Dell's site:

STARTECH.COM 2-Port Native ExpressCard RS232 Serial Adapter Card with 16952 UART : Networking | Dell

This 2 Port ExpressCard-based Serial Card lets you add 2 RS232 serial ports to your laptop or ExpressCard equipped desktop computer, using an available ExpressCard slot.Featuring 128-byte FIFO communication, and a high performance 16C950 UART, the ExpressCard Serial Adapter card offers up to 460Kbps data transfer rates, which ensures peak communication with your serial peripheral devices.The serial card is designed based on a single-chip architecture (as opposed to cards that use a "bridge chip"), providing native PCI Express communication for greater performance and reliability, as well as reduced power consumption and CPU load.Compatible with ExpressCard 34mm and ExpressCard 54mm card slots, the 2 Port Serial ExpressCard includes a slot spacer for greater security while installed in 54mm slots.

Manufacturer Part# : EC2S952
Dell Part# : A3112714
^currently out of stock :)

From this thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2256905/posts

^they mention Thinkpad T43/42's, which can still be bought 'new' apparently, though long discontinued I believe.

via these search terms: laptop built in serial I/O port

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Dell lists the Lat. e5500 starting @$1100, but Google Shopping shows retailers selling it 4 almost 1/2 that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That sucks, it does seem like the Latitudes I have used for many years no longer have a serial port on them. I have a lot of apps that were rather picky about the serial port too but we got all that worked out, mostly it was just finding the right driver for the USB adapter chipsets.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There was a thread on Slashdot a few months back complaining about the lack of serial ports on modern hardware, but honestly, they're only used for specialized applications at this point, and that space is better spent on more USB ports or display outputs or something.

The only other input I have is that the one time I tried an Expresscard Parallel Port solution, it was essentially USB, and the hardware dongle I had would not work with it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm a bit stunned that Udaman seems to know what a UART is. :eek:

For the record, 25-pin serial connectors were supplied on the IBM PC, but were replaced with 9-pin connectors on the IBM AT. IBM (and just about everybody else) only ever implemented 8 signals + ground, so there is no functional difference between the two when you're connecting anything to a PC.

As Howell says, USB-serial adaptors can work just fine. The ones I'm familiar with are proprietary, but I notice that units based on the Prolific PL2303 chip are recommended for some RS232 devices - you just need to get your hands on the right driver.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The vendor recommends a Dell Latitude D630, which hasn't been in their refurb section for ages.

I just came into possession of a used D620 if you're interested in a previously owned solution.

For what it's worth, I've used a cheap little no-name USB/Serial adapter for Cisco/Redback gear on my Inspiron laptop and Vostro desktop. Works well in XP with the right drivers - surprisingly, the thing is plug n play in Fedora12.