Large TFT recommendations

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Is it worth looking at a large TFT screen yet?

I have an Acer AL1922 19 inch unit which is excellent for a 19, but am wondering if the bigger ones have (a) the picture quality and (b) the value yet. Requirements:

* Decent aspect ratio: none of this so-called "wide screen" crap that is only good for watching movies.
* Compatible with my Thinkpad: available resolutions seem to be: 1280 x 1024 (current), 1600 x 1200, and 2048 x 1536. I imagine that if I get a screen that doesn't do one of those settings it will be useless to me.
* Half-reasonable cost. Now that I'm spending money on camera gear like it was water, the money I spend on othr things matters more than it used to.

Purpose: picture viewing and editing. I can't imagine that any of the other things I do (post here, accounts, text editing, web page design) will be any problem. It's all about displaying 3504 x 2236 resolution pictures a bit closer to their potential. Games and movies are completely irrelevant to me.

Is there anything around in the 22 or 24 inch sort of range that I should take a look at? Or wait a while longer.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm happy with the Dell 2405 (24" widescreen at 1920*1200).

I don't believe there's any screens out there that are 4:3 ratio, beyond 21" and UXGA. All the rest are widescreen.

Of course if money is flowing like water the 30" Apple can be considered, however it cannot be run from a StinkPad (needs a dual-link DVI connection). 2560 x 1600.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The Dell 2001FP is still one great monitor and it fits all your criteria. The Dell 2405FPW is a better monitor but is widescreen and signifigently more $$$

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
The Samsung 214T (21.3") and 244T (24") are the two tempting me right now.

Both are PVA type screens which seem to have the highest picture quality among LCD's. The 214t has 8ms response time, the 244t 10ms.

They just hit the market so the pricing would likely be on the high side.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is probably too expensive, but Eizo Coloredeggs look good. If my system ever gets straightened out, I'll let you know....

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
CougTek said:
I've very satisfied with my Dell 2005FPW. I don't know if it works in the southern hemisphere though.

Yeah it does, but upside down. we have to stand on our heads to read them properly :)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .... I refulse to buy Dell on principle, and the Samsungs are (if I remember correctly) so-called "wide screen" models (a fancy name for "shallow picture with lots of wasted space on either side"). I don't want to spring for an Ezio (I have that Canon 500mm F/4 to save up for, remember?) .... so maybe I'd be best advised to just wait a while. Or find out who the OEM is for the one Dell badge as the 2001FP.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Tannin said:
so maybe I'd be best advised to just wait a while. Or find out who the OEM is for the one Dell badge as the 2001FP.
It uses an LG panel but is manufactured by Benq. Benq also manufactures the 2405 (which uses the Samsung panel).

It looks like they have a LG manufactured 2006WFP in the works now too.

http://tco.networks.nu/index_publicsearch.htm

e_dawg

Storage Freak
At one point, Samsung manufactured Dell's LCD's. In fact, a few Dell LCD's were physically identical to Samsung LCD's. They didn't even bother to repackage the panels.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
I have Dell's 2005FPW 20-inch wide-screen. Looks great. No problems yet. Only complaint it the PIP doesn't work with two inputs other than S-video.