Linux distro join forces : United Linux

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I came accross a link leading me here. I hope it will end up on something tangible, as division is what's holding Linux back.
Linux Industry leaders Caldera International, Inc. (Nasdaq: CALD), Conectiva S.A., SuSE Linux AG, and Turbolinux, Inc., today announced the organization of UnitedLinux, a new initiative that will streamline Linux development and certification around a global, uniform distribution of Linux designed for business. UnitedLinux addresses enterprise customers' need for a standard, business-focused Linux distribution that is certified to work across hardware and software platforms, accelerating the adoption of Linux in the enterprise. Under terms of the agreement, the four companies will collaborate on the development of one common core Linux operating environment, called UnitedLinux software. The four partners will each bundle value added products and services with the UnitedLinux operating system and the resulting offering will be marketed and sold by each of the four partners under their own brands.
Apparently, this union is fairly recent as all the news on that web site date from yesterday. Maybe I should have posted it on the front page then. Oh, whatever.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The really evil words in all this are "Per Seat License". That doesn't sound like any Linux I'd want to use.

I'll be sticking to RedHat (the major distro not involved in all this).

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I didn't like the fact that the final product will be branded again under the respective names of the 4 producers...

It would be cool to have a unique brand-name... anyway sounds cool and it will definitely speed up the Linux development...

Coug: post it on the front too!