Lite-On burner overclock up to 48X!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You can find the whole "how-to" at CDR-Info. Here a copy/paste of how to do it :
  • LiteOn LTR-32125W, LTR-40125S users can "overclock" their recorders to the latest LTR- 48125W model with a simple firmware upgrade. The exact procedure is posted below for anyone who wish to try it. This can void your warranty so do it at your own risk!

a) Download the VS01 or a newer VS02 firmware
    b) Download the mktflash firmware updater
    c) Boot in plain DOS and make sure no CD-ROM drives are loaded
    d) Type mtkflash "x" w /b vs01.bin

where "x" is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
    2: Primary slave
    3: Secondary master
    4: Secondary slave

The firmware updater will flash the new firmware to the recorder. It will take sometime
    to finish, turn power off and after switch power back you have a brand new 48x recorder, with Mt. Rainier supported. Read here our test results: http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5248

In case you wish to downgrade you drive to its original state, here you can find previous firmware (just replace the vs01.bin with the name of the new firmware).
I didn't bother to duplicate the hyperlink in the text above. Go to their web site if you want to read more.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thx Coug! Where can I get this new Firmware? It didn't jump right out at me on the Liteon site....

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Apparently, the VS01 firmware is less problematic than the VS02, so that's the one I suggest you to try.

You'll have to download mktflash.exe to flash the firmware.

Both files were available on the CDR-Info link above BTW (you are forcing me to do extra-work ;-)).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Coug!! I'll check there again. I also want to get a backup copy of my current firmware before I flash....

Clock

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Man it was all right there like you said!! Sorry. I was in a rush as I was off to go to a birthday party. I appreciate you spoon-feeding this one to me Coug....

C

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
>Lite-On burner overclock up to 48X!

Yes, but can you trust the finished product being readable on any CD-ROM or (especially) CD Audio reader?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The reports of those who tried it are positive. Even with the firmware hack, the C1 and C2 errors remain low, with no C3 error at all (unrecoverable errors). The only problems reported regard the medias compatibility as not every media can be writen at up to 48x. You'll have to try it yourself to know what works for you.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
P.S. I found out that I'm not a very good editor while trying to lay something about the OptoRite. The numbers were fine, but it's the text between the graphs that caused me problems. Don't worry about my competition. It's too bad that we don't share the same testbed or I could have sent you the results + my impressions of the OptoRite 32x.

James

Storage is cool
Indeed. It would be quite good to have someone in North America actually, because I'm having some difficulty getting review product out of some suppliers locally. I also trust you to accurately report the numbers, which is the other important bit.

The testbed I'm using isn't very advanced - these are only optical drives after all - you'd probably have the parts lying around already. :mrgrn:

I prefer to think of myself as a stand-in for Tim until his wife and his work give him enough time to come back to SR.

I have a pipeline of 8 drives, of which the two Liteons are the first - I then have 5 Samsungs to do and then an external USB2 Sony 24x. I just need to finish up the reviews and the testbed intro before the weekend, then send it on to Eugene and Davin. And of course I have Tim's dry style to imitate. :wink: