Looking for an EPS Power Supply

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I need to pick out a 24+8 pin PSU for the dual Opteron system that I'm spec'ing out. It'll theoretically need to support the motherboard and two processors, a high-end AGP card, three PCI-X cards, five harddrives, two opticals, a floppy, six or so fans, and other stuff which you might find in such a system.

My priorities are:
1. Reliability (Stable)
2. Noise (Quiet)
3. Price (Low)

I've currently a few fans at which I'm looking:
Tagan TG-480 480W - $79.99
http://www.epowertec.com/power_tagan_480.html

Mercury 460W EPS 12V PP-4603EPS-X - $80.46
http://www.amselectronics.com/PP-4603EPS.pdf (caution, PDF)

Enhance ENS-0246B 460W EPS12V - $89.26
http://www.enhanceusa.com/acdc_eps12v.htm

PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 XE - $223.38
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/maxperformance/turbocools/index_hp_atx-3.htm

I don't really have any intention of buying that last one, but it's there for comparison. Prices listed are shipped to me, with tax.

What are the thoughts of the folks here? Any other good options out there?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How about OCZ?

I read some glowing reviews at a couple of places (AnandTech?). They go up to 600W, which goes for ~ $207.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Because the outputs were rock solid despite significant variation in load, and in spite of sustained heavy loads. I don't remember the details, except that at the time I read the reviews, I decided I'd seriously check this thing out. The other names you've listed don't ring a bell with me.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
According to several of the reviews that I've looked at thus far, the PowerStream is manufactured by the same company that makes the Tagan supply. The two models obviously aren't identical, but a lot of the ~$35 difference appears to be bells and whistles which I don't need.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Personally I think if you are looking for a power supply for a dual Opteron system with all the other stuff you listed, your third priority shouldn't even be there.

Have a look at this review (I know, I know you all don't like Toms Hardware...) but it does list a wide range of brands.

I would look at either the Zippy model (I have used Zippy myself and have had no problems in a system similar to the one you have specified) or if it is a mission critical computer you should really investigate a fully redundant dual power supply system.

cheers,
mangyDOG

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
mangyDOG said:
Personally I think if you are looking for a power supply for a dual Opteron system with all the other stuff you listed, your third priority shouldn't even be there.

Well, it is there. I've read through reviews and fora, and plenty of folks are using reasonably priced power supplies in systems similar to or more powerful than what I'm looking at.

While Zippy PSUs seem to be well spoken-of, they're pricier and difficult to find at reputable sources. If you can find a reasonably priced model, I'd be glad to add it to consideration.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Sechs, in doing some recent power supply research of my own I came across some supplies that might be exactly what you're looking for. Forton and Sparkle are one and the same and are known for producing quality, reasonably priced power supplies that are conservatively rated.

Froogle of their 460W EPS PSU which is model FSP460-60PFN.
If you don't think the rails on that are powerful enough for you then froogle's got their 550W EPS PSU for less than US$100, which seems like a pretty good deal considering the very high pricing of these types of power supplies. It's the FSP550-60PLN.

One of those is probably what I'd pick up myself if I was in your shoes. I've only heard good opinions of Fortron/Sparkle.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, if you could see a closeup of the adaptor cable, you would see that the extra 4 wires are for a 12v supply. Almost all power supplies only have one 12v output with multiple wires attached to it. (pop the cover off a power supply and trace the wires). So it doesn't make any difference whether the wires are connected together inside or outside the case.
The newest Intel motherboards we got call for a 24pin power supply or they can use a 20 pin power supply. If you use the 20 pin power supply, there is a place on the motherboard for a molex connector to be connected. You also still need the 4 pin CPU connector.
My Supermicro motherboard (P4SCT+II) uses a 24 pin connector and the 4 pin CPU connector. It runs just fine with the adaptor cable. I found out that it runs fine with the adaptor cable and without the 4 pin CPU cable too. :oops:

Bozo :mrgrn:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I looked at the FSP PSUs... and none of them have on/off switches! Is this no longer a requirement?

I was able to find a local shop that can get me the AMS PP-4603EPS-X about $15 cheaper than I have listed above, which makes it the cheapest. It also happens to actually be EPS compliant, unlike the Tagan. I'm leaning heavily toward it now.

Anything to change my mind?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Antec = No

I had a TruePower PSU a few years ago and its 12v rail pooped out on me. Turns out that it was a known issue with the line -- but Antec wasn't doing anything about it.

I'm not buying one of their PSUs again. That's way too much anyway....

FBOY

What is this storage?
EPS12V

sechs said:
Antec = No

I had a TruePower PSU a few years ago and its 12v rail pooped out on me. Turns out that it was a known issue with the line -- but Antec wasn't doing anything about it.

I'm not buying one of their PSUs again. That's way too much anyway....

One of the differences between the ATX12V spec and the EPS12V spec is the second +12v rail. It isolates the mobo 12v and the drive 12v and provides more power to the mobo. Do you need it? I don't know but that's the spec. Before I became educated, I bought a ThermalTake 460w ATX12V ps for my Tyan dual Optron server board I got at the roadshow. It works with the 4pin conn in the center four pins of the 8 pin conn.
I just bought the Asus A8N-E and the Athlon 64 3200+. That mobo takes a ATX12V PS so I'm thinking of swapping out the server PS. Newegg.com has a very good comparison of PS's showing when a PS has dual 12v or not or just the cable system.
I'm going for the AMS MERCURY EPS 12V 460W Dual Fan Ultra quiet Power Supply, PCI-X Ready, Model "PP-4603EPS-X" - Retail at $54.95

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Seasonic ST-12 600Watt...

IIRC.
Quiet, very little power fluctuation, great reviews, was 160 with shipping, around in US.

S

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes.... I ended up getting the Tagan, which was incredibly wonderful, except for not having enough +3.3V for my PCI-X SCSI cards. Ended up with a Silverstone OEM of an Enhance, which is very stable.