Low power, low profile video card?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm looking for a low-power, PCI-E video card with 1x DVI out. If it was low-profile as well, that would be great. Video quality of VGA @ 1600x1200 just...sucks. I'd would be great if it was an nVidia chipset, as it needs to play well with the on-board 6100 (driving the projector @ 1024x768).

Right now I'm looking at an MSI 6200TC (128MB on-board).

14-127-090-02.JPG

I figure I can just disconnect the VGA portion.

Thoughts?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
last month I bought an XFX geforce 6200 (AGP) that looks damn similar to what you have pictured there and I am doing 1600x1200@60hz to a syncmaster 204b and it looks very good, this is on the VGA port. I am also using a 25ft VGA extension and a KVM switch on that line. I noticed a pretty good increase in display quality from an old matrox card I had in there, but overall text is pretty sharp.

On another computer I am using DVI to the same monitor and I can just barely see a sharpness increase now, that used to be very noticeable on the matrox card. So bad that I initially bought this geforce for its DVI port to switch everything over to DVI all the way through. After I swapped the card though it brought things up to a level that is acceptable.

Initially I had the same concerns that I think you do about that ribbon cable on the VGA port lowering video quality, but I guess it depends on what your upgrading from. I think eventually I will go all DVI as I wish gratuitous violence on my KVM for the crap it deals me with its USB.

ddrueding

Fixture
Actually, I only need the DVI port. I was planning on getting rid of the VGA plug and ribbon cable to help airflow. This is a very crowded SFF system (see sig), and I don't want to impede anything.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Are you actually going to use the DVI or just use a VGA adapter? I guess full digital you can't go wrong but to me it looks as if the analog out isn't to bad at all.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually want DVI for my new LCD monitor (21.3" 1600x1200). I've been using DVI on LCD for about 3 years now; and I can see the difference pretty easily.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance

Another candidate is the Matrox Millennium P650 LP PCIe 64. If you put the full ATX slot bracket on, it will do 2 DVI ports instead of 1 DVI port with the standard low-profile slot bracket. It can provide 1920 x 1200 to either one or two digital monitors (LCD) or 1920 x 1440 two analogue or 2048 x 1536 one analogue monitor. I suspect this low-profile P650 video card is NOT bargain-priced like the MSI card (US$39). But, if you need excellent 2-D performance (zoom, scroll, pan, etc) and / or excellent analogue clarity, this would be a simple choice.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pid/products/pseries/p650lppcie.php

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
Very tempting CGB; I wonder how much heat it produces, whether it really needs that noisy-looking fan...

In comparison to the AGP versions, the all the various PCI Express versions of the P-series graphics cards seem to have the fan and what seems to be a smaller heatsink. I would say -- yes -- they need the fan. But, I haven't definitively heard of them being noisy. An aftermarket heatpipe contraption could be in order.

By the way, if 1 or 2 monitors aren't enough, Matrox also has a QUAD monitor version of that low-profile card:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pid/products/qid/qidlppcie.php