M$ offers $44.6B for Yahoo-End of the world as we know it

ddrueding

Fixture
The only thing Yahoo I have is Flickr. I should have known better than to trust my stuff to a third party. I hope Google allows custom pages on their web hosting soon.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
The buyout seems very strange. Though some predicted it long ago.
The associated consolidation of jobs in the IT sector is what worries me more. Of the big guys your choices are Microsoft, Apple or Google. Or is that inaccurate?

ddrueding

Fixture
Those are the big players, but the bulk of the IT sector has been spread out over smaller companies for a long time. Before there was PARC, Bell Labs, and IBM. I can't imagine being that much of a drone. Unless I can at least see the top of the chain of command, I don't want to play.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yahoo is in incredibly sad shape.

Pundits on CNBC speculate that Yahoo will try to negotiate a better deal -- because that's really the best that they can do. Sadly, I agree.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I used a my.yahoo.com page for a while then switched to a custom Google home page. No ads and flexible for content. At the time - not sure how Yahoo! is now - Google was a lot more flexible for layout options. Themes, adjustable columns, drag-n-drop to move stuff around. Very nice.

My personal domain is hosted by Yahoo! so they get $12.95 a month from me.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Something else that has to be considered, is also Yahoo! has it fingers in other forms of media as well, (including TV, magazines, newspaper, etc) through connections with Seven Media Group here in Australia.

Interestingly, MS has afflition with Channel 9 (owned by PBL Media), so if MS took over Yahoo!, MS would have afflition with not 1 but 2 TV channels (and media companies) in Australia.

And considering we have 5 main channels (ABC, 7 , 9, 10, and SBS), excluding regional channels, MS would have a nice finger in the pie in Australian mass media.