Macmini, who's interested?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

indextop20050111.jpg

500$ to 600$ for a nice-looking 6.5"x6.5"x2" polished bx with a 1.25GHz-1.42GHz G4 inside and MacOS X. 256MB of RAM may be a downer though.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I went through part of the "Buy" option and updated this little beast to 1.42GHz, 80 GB drive, 512MB RAM (the 1 GB option is horrendously expensive), SuperDrive (can now burn DVDs), Internal Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, plus the AppleCare Protection Plan. The price is now up to $1,072.00. I was considering that this particular package would be used in a specific home entertainment system that belongs to one of my customers.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
ddrueding said:
It needs to either:

A: Use at least 2 mouse buttons
B: Run WinXP

The level of ignorance in these two statements is staggering.

Macs can use two button mice. In fact, there is a rather large subset of software for Macintosh that requires a second button (e.g. GarageBand). That Macs came with a single button mouse is a holdover from the days when a mouse was such new and unusual equipment that the second button would only have fostered confusion.

The Mini won't come with a mouse at all.

Second, a computer does not have to run Windows XP to be useful. Or Windows in general. A Mac can run MS Office, it can run several different web browsers. Viruses and spyware are problems for a Mac only in theory - which is a HUGE advantage right now IMO. Anything you can do on a Windows PC, I can do just as well on a Mac or Linux machine.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
A friend pointed out that the 2 USB port limitation is pretty bad. Add your keyboard & mouse and you're out of connections w/out adding a USB hub. And adding the hub ups your footprint unless you buy one of those keyboards that has a built-in hub. But then the additional desktop cables might start to be an issue. Apple really should have made the box a smidge deeper or something and included 4 USB ports.

Consider a Mac home user's typical USB peripherals:
- Keyboard
- Mouse
- Printer
- iPod
And other common additions:
- PDA
- External drive
- USB-based DSL connection
- Scanner
- Digital Camera

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I was shockingly impressed when I first checked the thing out. IMO it's absolutely awesome. First of all it's gorgeous, and it's ridiculously compact. Second of all, I can think of so many uses for it. I suppose I might be going to hell for even thinking of installing Linux on it though...

Home theatre anyone? Stereo? Kitchen computer? I'd love to just sprinkle these things all over my house for no particular reason whatsoever. (Which I could never do with budget, hacked-together PCs --decent-looking, adequately-cooled cases cost as much as the guts of the system these days...)

Hell, I bet some folding fanatics are suddenly interested in Apple. I wonder how long it'll be before someone has a closet of these things folding away. It makes a funny image. I bet G4s fold pretty well, especially on a units/watt basis.

Finally, the RAM looks to be easily self-upgradeable, which takes care of its weakest point IMO. The G4 CPU itself is plenty adequate for all sorts of things.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
A friend pointed out that the 2 USB port limitation is pretty bad.
Ya. You'd definitely have to pick up one of those keyboards that comes with a couple extra ports, or a monitor with a hub. The former are very common these days though.

It does make you think though. I suppose the idea is that a lot of people with iPods are going to be thinking about these things, and with just a basic configuration, they won't be able to plug their iPods in. That might not be a great out-of-the-box experience for a lot of iPod-owners/would-be-switchers...

Mercutio

Most LCD displays seem to have hubs these days, and the monitor hub is normally the place I'd plug in a keyboard and mouse.

iPods are often run through firewire - I hear that's substantially faster, anyway.

And printing could very easily be handled over a network. HP has a line of network-enabled inkjet printers that start at all of $70.

I don't think it's well suited for home theater use. It doesn't have any digital audio outputs, and it appears to do stereo-out only. Instead I see it as a decent computer for the kids/home office/appliance use.

One of these, with a 15" LCD, would be great for a living room PC, for looking up TV schedules, checking imdb, reading email - the sorts of things I feel compelled to use my laptop for right now.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I just realized these things can come with bluetooth wireless. The cool way to do the mouse and keyboard thing would be to spring for the bluetooth option and the appropriate gear.

iPods are often run through firewire - I hear that's substantially faster, anyway.
Mmm. I forget about that. It is indeed much faster, at least for CompactFlash readers and digital cameras in my experience.

It doesn't have any digital audio outputs, and it appears to do stereo-out only.
I hadn't check into that at all. Such is life...

Gilbo

Storage is cool
In the home theatre department, Linux and a USB soundcard (many of which are top, top notch quality) would still work, and the thing has DVI out. I have no idea about using a USB soundcard with OS X though.

Mercutio

I'm SURE there are workable USB sound packages for Macs. Given the fact that the electronic music scene largely inhales and exhales when Steve Jobs says it's OK, I'm guessing that there are in fact some fairly sophisticated options.

ddrueding

Fixture
Please forgive the misunderstanding on the mouse, my recent knowledge of Macs comes from my GFs Powerbook...only one button there, and it slows my surfing significantly.

Re: WinXP, I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I do enjoy some from time to time...your own beloved COH won't run on it.

As a media player, it would work great except for the 80GB HDD limit. With a dedicated media server it would work well except for the limited audio out. With a dedicated media server AND an external soundcard it would make a fine media player (I agree it's beautiful) but then your losing some of the size advantages and the cost advantage.

Mercutio

ddrueding said:
Re: WinXP, I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I do enjoy some from time to time...your own beloved COH won't run on it.

I'm not a hard core gamer, either... but Doom3, UT2004 and World of Warcraft can probably be made to work on it.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
By the way guys, I found the coverage at ArsTechnica by Jade on the Mac mini and on the keynote quite entertaining. As the disclaimer at the top of the first link notes: "If you are... resistant to Space Balls you may want to skip this article." I couldn't say it better myself.

Resistant to Space Balls? I was rolled with a critical weakness, so forgive me for praising these sarcasm-soaked, pr0n-reference-riddled pieces of plucky prose... (You don't have to forgive me for that sentence :) I know alliteration is to literary style what sarcasm is to humour, but I just couldn't stop myself.)

Personally, I think the tone of the "Hardware Preview" emphasizes the most important thing to understand about the Mac mini, that the hardware is rather inconsequential. The 'Performance Comparison' really puts into stark relief the absurdity of performance measuring in what is in my opinion an excellent piece of satire. The not-so-subtle approach of including a sexual performance reference combined with a harsh mortality reference might be a little over the top, but it really illustrates the ridiculousness of most hardware reviews' obsession with performance (are you making up for some insecurity with that 4Ghz P4/is it going to make the brevity of your life that much more meaningful?). The meaningless XBench numbers seal the deal.

By the way, is there actually a Mac benchmark called XBench. Oh the irony. What a subtle expression of the Mac philosophy. In general, I think the pieces, together, might constitute one of the best, most thorough examples of general geek satire I've read. There are so many carefully crafted, biting references it's great. Of course, I've been really bored all day :rolleyes:.

The keynote editorial alternately captures the perspective of a Mac fanatic, and inserts good old fashioned self-depecrating humour. It's good stuff, and not as flamboyant as the Mac mini hardware preview, so, if your sense of humour is a little less tolerant, you may want to start with that. As a sympathetic derider of PC vomit-boxes myself I'm pretty predisposed to Jade's point of view anyway. (Despite having never touched a Mac --I just wouldn't touch a Comcrap either.)

Favourite quotes:
"Maybe Apple should have just included a piece of brown cardboard cut out in the shape of a video card instead."

"Even an overclocked iBook G3 (1GHz/256MB RAM/32MB VRAM) might suffer from the missing Altivec instruction set used in the G4 to make up for the pathetic 133MHz Front Side Bus Apple was stuck at for, like, a million years, until the G5 showed up."

"For people in the real world, the Mac mini, with the included software, does everything people need, while not doing things they don't need, like becoming infected with malware."

There's too much. Jade really captures the love-hate (really love) relationship I've personally seen in several of the Mac faithful I know. Read the articles if it sounds like something that runs along an idea of humour you can tolerate. And try not to lose too much respect for me, at least not permanently.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So is this unit basically a squished and folded notebook without a keyboard?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
He could be correct, and the strategy would work. My only gripe with the Mac Mini for this type of operation is that it doesn't have digital surround sound. It needs at least a digital coax connection to plug into a good receiver.

Mercutio

As I said above, I think it would be icky as a HTPC device. Yes, there are USB sound doohickies for the Mac, but what a horrible kludge for something that's so damned small!

And downloading HD Video? Do you have any idea how big those files are? With a 40GB drive?

Huh-uh. I don't see it. Nope.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I have to agree with Merc, although I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is moving in the direction of selling movies through iTunes. If they are though, the current Mini falls far too short for most people right now. In contrast, the more I think about it, the better it looks for individuals like us.

For most people, especially the iTunes/iPod market I don't think it is at all a good solution. I don't see a lot of people springing for the cost of the Superdrive or knowing that they would need it to compensate for the small disk drive. Additionally, I also don't think many people will be picking up the larger disk options, which would make it more suitable.

However, I certainly believe I could make excellent use of it.
1. In an HTPC I would be using an external USB soundcard anyway, for several reasons. Firstly, it's an inexpensive way to get bit-perfect SPDIF out through coax or optical to a reciever. Two, if I wanted analog out, the DACs in most of those USB soundcards are top-notch at low prices and I would prefer to pump analog out of an external box rather than from inside the PC due to noise issues. Finally, and perhaps most certainly, internal soundcards demand larger form-factor cases, which is just lame :cry:.

2. For extra storage I would network it to my fileserver. I wouldn't want it any other way. I don't want a bunch of disks in an audio/video environment. Data goes in fileservers, which go in closets or basements where they're quiet.

3. I don't really do TV so the tuner isn't a big issue, but I would probably put it in the fileserver anyway --mostly just because of the form factor demands its presence would place on the HTPC case, but also because the fileserver is where that data is supposed to be recorded in the first place so that's just where the tuner should go.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might play with a Mini in the summer or the fall as a media frontend for my living room, or even the kitchen. The speculation about this guy all over the web has really made me realize that all I really want out of the computer presence in my living room, or even my kitchen, is a frontend. And the Mini might actually be a perfect front end.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Computer Generated Baby said:
Doesn't this thing screem, "Steal me! Put me in your pocket and steal me!"

So it won't be blister packed and on the shelf?