Minisforum BD790i SE home server build

Handruin

Administrator
A few weeks ago I ordered the MINISFORUM BD790i SE with an AMD Ryzen 9 7940HX CPU when it went on sale for $329 + tax. I also added to this setup:
I haven't yet decided on a permanent case for it which also means I haven't decided on a PSU. However I have an older Fractal Design Define R6 case with a 750W PSU in it that I'm using to test this out.

The MB arrived today and I set it up as Proxmox server to use for a variety of services. Mainly I was interested in seeing what this thing could do for hosting a few VMs and containers for various things I want to play around with. So far I've been very happy with just how easy it was to get everything setup and installed with almost no issues.

I did some load testing on it throughout the day and I found that at idle with Proxmox loaded and no VMs, it is pulling around 22W from my outlet. The CPU temps hover around 34C during this time. When I loaded up a VM with 32 cores and 95GB of memory and ran Prime95 stress testing for 90min or so, I found that the power uses peaked at around 150W and stayed there and thermals topped up to 74C for the rest of the duration.

Later I'll be running some tests on the 2.5Gb ethernet to verify it can run at full speed and then I'll start playing around with other performance and general VM management.

Funny how tiny this little motherboard looks inside my Fractal Design case.

20241017_132344.jpg

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This is the replacement for your Xeon system, right? Is this a PC you'll ever sit at?

My first thought would be something like a Silverstone SST-CS351. You could run one of those 1-to-6 m.2 to SATA adapters and give your VMs their own drives plus a couple spinny boys for bulk storage needs. That could be a very versatile machine that would look just fine sitting out on a desk.

My personal favorite ITX chassis is probably the Cooler Master NR200, but I think it's made for a large GPU build rather than an I/O heavy system.