More Vista nonsense

paugie

Storage is cool
Paugie, "auto" is American for "motor vehicle".

An Englishman, or anyone else who speaks English, would never say "auto", always "car".

Stereodude forgot to translate that one. Other than that, a good effort.
hmmm. That's why I didn't get it.

For some reason, inspite of us being "American" I do not remember "auto" in normal use among English speakers here. AFAIK, Filipinos have always used the term "car". Maybe because it was a lot shorter than "automobile" which I would sometimes encounter in Reading textbooks.

But we have a word in Tagalog (the basis for our language) "oto" which anyone would guess came from "auto". "Ang gara ang oto" would be translated, "How flashy is that car!"

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just to be slightly on-topic, Vista RC1 is finally on MSDN and Technet, for those who have access.

Not that I'm expecting anything like an improvement.

Folks who are interested in TinyXP, PM me.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with Tea, thanks Bozo. This thread is serving very useful to me as a nice archive of reasons not to move to vista.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
They'll release a service pack before they've even released the product? :eek:

Incidentally, one of the big local banks (Westpac) has announced it will be migrating to Vista. Fortunately, I don't have any accounts with them.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
They'll release a service pack before they've even released the product?
That would be funny. Like most versions of Windows, the initial 'gold' release will be sold in the retail market with plenty of flaws. Several months or a year later, SP1 will be released and many of the major issues resolved.

Incidentally, one of the big local banks (Westpac) has announced it will be migrating to Vista. Fortunately, I don't have any accounts with them.
Yeah, I would avoid them too.

Mercutio

Other than Industry Press Wankers, I've yet to see anyone make ANY positive and compelling statements about migrating to Vista.

You guys still need more reasons?

Handruin

Administrator
I don't, but when the average joe comes up to me proclaiming vista greatness, I'll have a large repository of reasons why vista should be avoided...all archived right here in this nice thread. ;)

Mercutio

There is strong nerd backlash from EVERY new version of Windows. People get tired of hearing it. It is expected. They aren't going to listen, and they are going to expect the same jump as the one they had from Win98/ME to XP.

It does not matter what we as techies say. Idiots will buy it just because it is the new thing and because Microsoft will spend many billions of dollars to advertise it.

Nonsense and all, you need to use it, because all the people who want you to work on their computer will have it, regardless of what you say.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Does all of these mean that I have to get a copy in order to know what's going to break on people's computers?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yup,

As a technician, one has to keep up with the new OS flavor of the month. M$ is not quite up to the selection of Baskins and Robbins, but they are trying.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Does all of these mean that I have to get a copy in order to know what's going to break on people's computers?

Unfortunately, yes.

I mean, fu*k this, I have real work to do, and better things to do with my time than buggerise about learning about crap like Vista. I think I'm going to have to institute a zero tolerance policy for people who "upgrade" to Vista and then expect me to sort their problems out.

The basic rule is very, very simple, and been proven true over and over and over: never buy a Microsoft product before service pack 2 comes out.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It just keeps getting worse. http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidma...scoots-to-new-boot-but-its-still-kinda-rooted

Another item of note: If you have XP installed on the "C" partition and you install Vista on another partition, when you boot into Vista, it will be on the "C" partition and the XP install will be on a different partition. ----in name only. Booting back to XP, it will be on the "C" partition and Vista will be on a different partition.
The Booted operating system is always on "C". The drive letters are changed for the other operating systems.
Who knows where any non-boot partitions end up.

Confused ????? :crap:

Bozo :joker:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Then Inquirer: "I like Vista as the 3D desktop looks sexy but that is probably its key feature. µ "

That about sums it up. Unfortunately I have not been able to use the 3-D desktop as I don't have a $3000 computer to run it on ;-)

LOST6200

Storage is cool
3D mesdses up my brain. can it be turned off and can ones use some old classical Windows version theme??

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Afetr a whiil ethe new OS wil be the only viable options for Weindows. Some hardware and softwre support is now peroebelnmatiocs with Win2K and it wont; be more thabn a few years befroe apps and hardweare do not work with XP. That is alwasy the way of new vs. old OSs.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, you can set it up in 'Classic' mode.
You can even go into Services and turn off 'Themes' which makes it look like Win 95.
We are still installing Win2K on new hardware. Although I have been pushing and proding our technicians and programers to move to XP. It's an uphill battle.
Vista won't be installed on anything for a very long time. Maybe in 4-5 years. That might include Longhorn too.

Handruin

Administrator
We're still using windows 2000 on all desktop/laptop systems at work. Very few people have XP (special cases I guess)...they just won't migrate, and we're talking about hundreds of systems here... It has been around 5 years now without an upgrade...I'd imagine several years before anyone sees vista on the desktop at work.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Our 'corperate boxes' have been XP for about three years now. We went from NT to XP and skipped 2000 altogether. But, they were just upgraded to SP2 in the last few weeks.
Upgrading operating systems cost money, a lot of money. We have over 500 desktop computers here. Even at half price for the software, it is still a lot of money. And, what to you gain? Is upgrading the desktops going to allow you to produce your product faster, cheaper, or better? No. So how do you justify spending the money and taking the time to upgrade? How do you justify the man-hours spent doing the upgrade?
I don't think we will see Vista on the desktop for 3-4 years.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
At this point, we have five office computers, four of which I'm not planning to upgrade at all, except maybe to Linux-only. Three of them run Linux exclusively anyway, one of them dual-boots with XP, and another runs XP only. Stopped buying XP licenses with new computers a while back, and now have given a couple licenses away because we had no use for them.

The only computer that really "needs" Windows is the one which runs all the fancy image editing/printing programs. I'm not sure Mac wouldn't be better than Windows in that case anyway, when the time does come for an upgrade. And maybe Linux will even have some decently user-friendly graphics and photo programs in a few years.

Of course if MS (or someone else) finds a way to kill Linux or stifle it, I guess we'll just end up with fewer computers. :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Vista sucks.

I downloaded RC2 today to kick around. I fire up VMware, but keep getting caught at a "no device drivers were found" loop. Turns out that ISO download was bad.

What kind of OS installer doesn't check the install media?

Downloading *again*

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
A quote from Tweak Guides

Tweaking Vista
9 October 2006
"As I've mentioned previously, I will definitely put out a Windows Vista version of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion (TGTC) in the coming months. However as I play around with Vista myself, I'm surprised to find much of the existing basic tips and tweaks in the current TGTC apply to Vista. It appears even certain XP Registry cleaning utilities such as RegSupreme can be used safely in Vista. Therefore while you're waiting for a more comprehensive Vista-specific tweak guide, I recommend that Vista users carefully use the TGTC, making sure of course to create restore points before testing out anything complex. In some ways this seems to indicate that Vista is not quite the significant leap ahead over XP which we thought it would be, at least not for the moment."

I like the last sentence.