More Vista nonsense

ddrueding

Fixture
Did anyone else have problems installing Vista Final into a VMWare Server? After clicking "install now", it says something about "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing" and to insert a driver disk.

Anyone?

ddrueding

Fixture
The one I got from my MSDN subscription, it says that it will install the appropriate version based on the CD_Key I give it, but I didn't get to enter a key yet. So....all of them?

fb

Storage is cool
Strange, did you try and install from the .iso or did you burn it to a DVD first? I read somewhere that you can only install it from a physical DVD. I haven't tried it myself though so I'm not sure that's the problem.

ddrueding

Fixture
I did it from the ISO, downloaded from MS' website, mounted using the VMWare client configuration. It should think that it is a physical disk.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Some Vista versions are not licensed for use on a Virtual Machine at all. I don't know how the OS could tell, but I don't think any Home Version or Business basic are allowed as guests in VMware or Parallels or MSVPC.

When I look at my MSDN key list, I have listings for Home edition and Business edition. It does not specify Basic or Premium or 32 bit or 64 bit.

Also, unlike the OEM and Partner versions, Retail copies of Vista are in fact transferable to new hardware, which is something to keep in mind when you're fooling around with it.

Er, unless you've found a pirate version that works.
In which case you can PM me so we can discuss the details.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope, no pirate versions for me. I make each of my clients (~20) maintain an MSDN subscription for testing/dev purposes and licensing wiggle-room. This means I have keys to spare.

fb

Storage is cool
It sounds reasonable that you should be able to install a MSDN version in VMWare, but you never know...

Anyway, I found the stuff about the iso here. But I agree, it sounds strange and it's an old page so even if it was a problem it should be fixed by now, unless it's a feature of course.

Sol

Storage is cool
I love that official launch of Vista seems to have attracted more media than actual customers, according to this reporter the first New Yorker to buy vista at the New York launch came in about 2 hours after the grand opening. All but 3 of the people waiting in the launch queue were just there for the promotional sale and had no interest in Vista at all... If it wasn't being shipped on new PC's it seems like just about no one would have it...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I love that official launch of Vista seems to have attracted more media than actual customers, according to this reporter the first New Yorker to buy vista at the New York launch came in about 2 hours after the grand opening. All but 3 of the people waiting in the launch queue were just there for the promotional sale and had no interest in Vista at all... If it wasn't being shipped on new PC's it seems like just about no one would have it...
Very similar here in Australia. One person in Sydney only purchased Vista on opening day, just so he could his face on camera and hence on TV!

Everyone I know who has an interest in Vista is already running a beta/rc or has access to Action Pack/MSDN/Enterprise subscriptions.

Personally, I'm only getting a copy so I can support the thing, otherwise I have zero interest in it.

Mercutio

The other people in my office - MOS Master certified instructors - make gagging noises and stare longingly at the veins in their wrists as they are working on Office 2007.

Shockingly, I already know of two largish (100+ employee) companies which have deployed it.

I don't know what the big deal is, but I also don't bother to install Office any more on the PCs I use. I guess the UI was made different so that it's easier to learn...

But who the hell hasn't used MS Office before?

ddrueding

Fixture
From what I've heard 2007 is a major change from 2003. Notice I didn't say improvement.

I've heard that OO looks more familiar to 2003 users than 2007 does.

That is a tempting change...thoughts?

Handruin

Administrator
Shockingly, I already know of two largish (100+ employee) companies which have deployed it.

It certainly wasn't mine...we've barely started the adoption of XP Pro...lol. 95% of the people still use windows 2000 pro. It was only two weeks ago I got XP pro put on my work laptop.

Mercutio

It installs to roughly the same size as Office XP and 2003. It's slightly under 1GB, split about 70/30 between Program Files and crap that goes under your Windows directory.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
First Vista annoyance : the scroll wheel on my utterly standard Logitech SBF-96 optical mouse doesn't work. It works by default on WinXP. It even works by default on W2K. What's so special about one of, if not the most common mouse model worldwide preventing the immensily advanced Windows Vista from using its scroll wheel?

Also, making this computer use a shared internet connection on another computer to access the Internet was awkward, more complicated than under WinXP. I made it work, but I'm not sure exactly how and which step did the trick.

You'll never guess what's the main reason why I decided to try Vista this evening.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Nope. I wanted to see the performance hit of Folding on Vista compared to XP. Also, although the GPU FAH client is supposed to support Vista, the only Catalyst driver I've seen for Vista (other than beta releases) is version 7.1, which doesn't work with the GPU FAH client.

Avast Antivirus seems to work under Vista. Firefox 2.0.0.1 too.

One nice thing about Vista : it found the driver for the SoundMax integrated audio online. That never worked in WinXP.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Nope. I wanted to see the performance hit of Folding on Vista compared to XP. Also, although the GPU FAH client is supposed to support Vista, the only Catalyst driver I've seen for Vista (other than beta releases) is version 7.1, which doesn't work with the GPU FAH client.

The standard ATI (6.5, 6.10, 6.11) drivers work on Vista, you just can't install the control panel. The problem with 7.1 is Stanfords fault: They admitted that they were given early drivers and didn't test them or report any problems with them by ATI's deadline ....

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"what you see is what gets shipped"

There are 31 updates for Vista posted at MS.....on launch day :-o

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Did anyone else have problems installing Vista Final into a VMWare Server? After clicking "install now", it says something about "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing" and to insert a driver disk.

I think that this is actually a bug in VMware's mount code. I've had trouble with a number of bootable images, particularly the MacO.... er, Darwin.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are 31 updates for Vista posted at MS.....on launch day

Who says that Microsoft isn't learning from being a game studio?

They'll get it right by the second patch. Or you'll have to buy the expansion pack.

ddrueding

Fixture

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've been, like many others here I'm sure, been reading the reviews on various websites regarding Vista. The one at Anandtech, was thorough, interesting, and also made some very good points.

The conclusion I got was from most of the reviews, Vista a whole lot of shiny stuff, with no immediate advantage over XP.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Should I buy up a bnuch of XP OS and office 2003 now? How long will they be foer the sale? i dont like the extra size/complexity idea of the Vista. Maybe I cna use teh XPs unttil 2010 - will it still support the applications then? Thanks, B