More Vista nonsense

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
How does one setup Vista to sync its time to a time-server? I must be blind:Since Windows 2000, they all have had this ability, but I just don't see that capability natively in Vista.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Right click on the clock in the Task Bar, click on Click on Adjust Date and Time. Click on Internet Time tab. Click on Change Settings.

MS just HAD to add another layer of menus to this.

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was going to go Vista on my home box, but alas no drivers from either AMD or MS for my Chipset. (Well, I could use legacy generic chipset drivers, but that would mean no AGP/PCI-X only PCI). :crap:

Guess, I'll just stick with WinXP x64 and FreeBSD 6.x.

PS. Tyan K8W with AMD-8000 series chipset (AMD-8151 AGP-HT Tunnel, AMD-8131 PCI-X and AMD-8111 southbridge). The board is still supported by Tyan and the AMD-8000 series chipset isn't EOL until 2008! :crap:

That's screwed up. You shouldn't even need a specific driver for the PCI-X controller.

I presume that you've tried forcing the non-Vista-approved drivers.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Are you logged on as 'administrator' ?

Yes!

I asked the question on the M$ Vista forums and actually was given the answer there, by an Microsoft MVP.

The option disapears if the OS is connected to a domain: The machine, automaticly snycs its time to the domain controller, instead.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
That's screwed up. You shouldn't even need a specific driver for the PCI-X controller.

I presume that you've tried forcing the non-Vista-approved drivers.
Vista x64 doesn't allow non-WHQL signed drivers and IIRC there's no registry hack either to turn off that 'feature' either. :crap:

Don't get me wrong, the AGP and PCI-X will work with the legacy drivers, just not at their full potential. BTW - All my other hardware have Vista x64 drivers available!

IMHO Vista = :hurl:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97

I believe that the phrase Dah seems most appropiate:
DOT's CIO Daniel Mintz said:
In a memo to his staff, the DOT's CIO Daniel Mintz says he has placed "an indefinite moratorium" on the upgrades as "there appears to be no compelling technical or business case for upgrading to these new Microsoft software products. Furthermore, there appears to be specific reasons not to upgrade."

ddrueding

Fixture
Does anyone else have a case of deja-vu? I recall feeling the same about XP; it does the same stuff a little differently, and the things that it is better at I can do without. Besides, why learn a different way of doing things when you don't have to.

One of the things that made XP "worth it" was better hardware support. Vista has the same. If drivers exist for your hardware; installing everything is very, very simple. When I installed onto the machine in my sig, the only driver I installed was for the sound card. Everything else (including video) happened automatically without me doing anything. Same with my tablet laptop, no driver hassles for anything and it all just worked. I'm actually planning to install Vista on another laptop to resolve a driver conflict with the fingerprint reader. There are many reasons it sucks, but over time we will forget, and take for granted the places where it is actually better.

Handruin

Administrator
It was a little different for me when I bought windows XP. At the time I was sick to death of windows 98, so I was running windows 2000 pro. Gaming under win2k was terrible at times. After I upgraded to XP, I noticed a big improvement in gaming performance. XP also offered better USB support which was nice. I know a lot of people hated XP at the time, but I felt it was worth upgrading to for my gaming. As for vista, I don't feel it is the same this time around. I don't have a compelling reason to make my machine worse.

I have a legit copy of ultimate that I obtained for very cheap, but I'm severely reluctant to install it. I don't want my machine to perform less than it does now. Nor do I want DRM hell installed. Yet, I want to learn it to support it. I guess I may end up loading it into a VM to try it.

Handruin

Administrator
Umm...Windows XP offered better Universal Serial Bus support over windows 2000. I guess I had to spell it out.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It did?
I can't think of anything XP does that 2000 didn't.

For that matter, unless you have some program that refuses to install on 2000 (say, Office 2007), there's STILL nothing that makes XP worth the bother. It's no more stable and it's not really faster.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am convinced that XP is much less stable than 2000.

My work computer runs XP and I am always having to restart because the OS just stops working correctly. I lose the ability to open folders or control panels or IE.

This never happened in 2000 or in 2003 Server.

Handruin

Administrator
As I previously wrote...game performance increased for me dramatically at the time XP came out. I also had better results with connecting USB devices. They just seemed to "work" rather than having to monkey with drivers under win2k.

Handruin

Administrator
I am convinced that XP is much less stable than 2000.

My work computer runs XP and I am always having to restart because the OS just stops working correctly. I lose the ability to open folders or control panels or IE.

This never happened in 2000 or in 2003 Server.

I recently had my work laptop moved to XP (from win2k) and it has been faster and actually far more stable. I had some severe issues with wireless support under windows 2000. Nothing seemed to work right no matter what I tried. Same (older) hardware now works perfect under windows XP. Boot times were also reduced considerably which was a big factor for me. I hated using my laptop with win2k because it was so slow to boot.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree with Doug. XP is better in many ways, IMO. Especially right out of the box.

ddrueding

Fixture
And to go against the crowd even more, I'm already beginning to like Vista. On both my machines it seems faster, and runs smoother. Apps do launch faster (especially Firefox, which I am in and out of all day), and I haven't noticed any slower performance in gaming. Of course my computers aren't slow to begin with the laptop is clearly the dog, and is a Core Duo 1.8Ghz/1GB/7.2K machine. But on the desktop (see sig) it really rocks. Multitasking is better, multimonitor support is better, drivers are better, display(dpi) scaling is awesome. I can understand that those with slower machines (99% of the population) shouldn't use it on their old hardware, but it is nice.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why would you or anyone else ever close Firefox?

I guess I trained myself too well in the days of limited RAM. I close everything when I'm not using it. Very rare is the time that my taskbar is full; I typically have about 2-3 programs open at any one time. Considering I now have 4GB of RAM, I know it's unnecessary, but such habits are hard to break. And now I don't have to, as it's as fast to re-launch as it is to re-open my home pages.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I take the other extreme. I have machines that have never been upgraded to Firefox 2 because it hasn't been closed in the duration of time that Firefox 2 has been out. Having hundreds of open tabs, several word processor documents, a DVD ripper/transcoder and several half-composed e-mail messages is the standard for me.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I bet that you're beginning to like Western Digital, too.

It's a slippery slope. Next thing, you'll be setting up Raptors in RAID 0 "for speed."

I run Raptors in RAID 0 for the challange and suspense. :rotfl: