Most recent system for Windows NT4.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I need to assemble a computer that will run windows NT4, probably with the last service pack for it (SP6 IIRC). It's really been a while since I've worked on NT4 (9 or 10 years), so I don't remember much about it. I'm pretty sure I can find a socket 478 system with drivers for NT4 from my pile of used OEMs boxes.

Now I need to find an installation disc and the service packs... It is not for me but for a masochist customer.

ddrueding

Fixture
Virtualization is your friend. Get any hardware you like, stick linux on it, install vmware player, install NT4. The ultra-generic drivers will make your life much easier.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with David...and you might end up with a faster, more reliable NT server because modern virtualized hard will likely be faster than the dated hardware that once ran that NT box. You could even build something equal (likely better) than a Dell T110 and use ESXi with that single NT VM to get as much zip out of it as possible.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
VMware might not be the best solution if, for example, the machine needs to run some dedicated process control hardware. I have customers with machines that still need DOS and ROX (obscure realtime OS that installs from two 3.5" floppies), respectively, to run something they do.

Anyway, get something with native IDE ports - an Intel 945 chipset is probably a good place to start, since those boards are still being manufactured. Add an Intel Pro/100 or 3Com 3c905 NIC. Make sure the drive is smaller than 160GB (IIRC the NT4 installer freaks out over large drives). I wouldn't worry too much about VGA drivers; you probably have some old PCI thing (S3 Trio? ATI Mach64?) you can stick in there that will work, if you actually care.

Generally, I agree that virtualization is a good idea, but if there's a specific requirement for working hardware, that's how I'd build it.