MS - SMT means mo' money!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
But the .Net server might not have that limitation....at least that is what I got from the article....

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
They shooted Kennedy, they shooted the Pope, what are they waiting to shoot Bill?

Microsoft is full of $H!T. What will they invent again to make more money on the back of people? Amazing that our society let this bunch of crooks act freely.

Go BSD, go Linux. Death to Microsoft!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
ARS guys going to macs

Some of the most staunch MSFT guys are buying ibooks, etc.

It's amazing.

Of course, the macs new os is a joy for people that really know their stuff, I guess.

So similar, to well, BSD... :lol:

Anyway, the guys now using macs are the most staunch advocates of windows, 2 years ago...

gs

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
By the way, past tense of "shoot" is "shot". I have no idea why, it just is.

Hmm .... pretty stupid, isn't it....

I shot him
I am shooting him
I will shoot him

I hit him
I am hitting him
I will hit him

I fired him
I am firing him
I will fire him

Aucune merveille nous les anglophones sommes tous aliénés.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks Tea for the correction. The worst is that I knew it but I apparently felt on a memory access error when my typing program tried to read the data. :oops:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
English is so weird.

More than a decade ago I went on an exchange program and spent a summer with a family in France. I remember the mother asking me a few questions about a particular English verb (I can't remember which one now). I immediately opened my mouth to offer an explanation, and suddenly realized I couldn't provide an adequate one. In the end, I had to say that it was just done a certain way. I didn't know why. She made me realize that (for me anyway) speaking English was more of an instinct than a conscious understanding of the logic - or at least the rules - involved. As soon as I stopped to think about the structure of it in serious detail, my mind just couldn't handle it. It was kind of a scary realization. I wonder how much of an odd-ball that makes me. I think I write and speak reasonably well. But others do just as well (if not better) - only they seem to be able to instantly analyze the grammar and structure of their writing and speech without developing a total mental block.

I guess there are things like that in the physical world too. Sometimes you can analyze things to the point that the "external" structure becomes mostly unintelligble. I guess I view analyzing English as sort of like analyzing a fractal - you can say some things about it, duplicate how it looks on the large scale, recognize the patterns, etc, but as soon as you try to describe one specific area in detail, man are you screwed. Again, this is just me. I'd be interested in knowing what other people think. Maybe this is some kind of indicator of how different people have learned to perform pattern recognition. It seems as though that's how I handle English - I easily recognize the appropriate external "pattern"; I have trouble consciously recognizing the underlying "rules".

I also remember her asking me what the difference between the word "shade" and "shadow" was. That proved to be a surprisingly long conversation.

Heehee. I also remember that when using English, they referred to "stickers" as "self-adhesives". Hah. That proved to be one of the recurring themes of the experience: having had to rely mostly on dictionaries while learning the others' language, our vocabularies would sometimes prove to be technically correct, but aspects of how the context could impact the vocabulary was skewed or missing.

The few languages I've come into contact with are far too complex. English is crazy. I can't believe the spelling of the root words can change depending on their tense. That just seems insane somehow. Or at least if it's going to be that way it should be consistent.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
English is relatively simple compared to most other language. French is more a headache to learn. But no matter how complicated a language is to learn, almost every child is able to learn the language of his parents in 1½ years. Even Chinese ;-)

James

Storage is cool
It takes seven years of secondary education to learn to speak and (mostly) write Japanese.

That's why anime for children has some characters with little characters written above - for those that know the character, fine, but there's also help for those that don't know it yet.

Apparently you need to know almost 4,000 Japanese characters in order to read a newspaper.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I tried to learn Japanese: My conclusion- I was really really bad at learning a new language. I don't think it would have mattered what language I tried to learn; Unlearning English was too hard. I would work and work and work and get nowhere. It was a very frustating experiance.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am taking German 101 right now. I have this class 5 days a week for an hour. It seems that are so many rules and exceptions. Some people seem to learn language a lot better than others (me being the others).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mark,

You should try to learn Espanol. It's supposed to be a lot easier than Russian, any asian-based...and French. Not as simple as English though. And it's the second-most widely used language on the planet.

What was your idea to begin with the easiest of them all? Of course any other language must seem very challenging compared to English (which is simple mostly because it is almost deprived of exceptions). ;-)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have had, from time to time, the most interesting experience of spending Christmas at Mt Arapiles (pronounced "ar-apple-ies", not "ara-piles") in the Western District of Victoria. Arapilies is regarded as one of the "absolutely must visit" places for rock climbing. They say that there are seven places in the word that any really serious climber must go to before he dies. I forget exactly now, but there are two in France, one in Germany, one in England and two in the USA. Plus Arapiles in Australia.

CA157c.jpg

So people come from all over the world to climb here. (Plus hordes of Aussies too, of course.) The great thing about that is this: all the Aussie climbers go home a day or two before Christmas to spend it with their families, but the foreigners can't do that - home might be 10,000 miles away, so they stay on at the Arapiles campsite.

Now me, I've never liked Christmas much, so back when I used to climb a lot, I got into the habit of going to Araplies for Xmas instead of going home - and the company was wonderful. I'd end up sharing a campsite with 3 Australians, a New Zealander, 4 Californians, 6 Japanese, 6 Germans, 3 Italians, 5 Englishmen, two girls from Canada, and a Pole. Or something like that. And a good many of the foreigners spoke very little English.

I always used to say that it was the cheapest way to have a world tour: spend four hours driving up the Western Highway and stay at Arapiles over Christmas. It was just like being overseas, but without the airfare.

And, over a bottle or seven around the campfire, we would talk, and talk, and talk. That, after all, is the only thing climbers love doing even more than climbing: talking about it afterwards. (Bit like fishing, really.)

Many is the happy hour I spent talking to a climber from France or Japan or Austria, and despite some of them having no English at all (they'd just come for the climbing, remember) we could converse happily for hours, freely intermixing gesture, drawings in the sand, and a host of technical climbing terms, which are more-or-less universal.

I wondered at that at the time - how was it that Franz and I could talk for 20 minutes about a climb called Syrinx or Tannin, despite the fact that Franz spoke no English and I spoke no German? The answer, of course, is that climbers - all climbers, two Australians, say, or two Germans - talk in gesture to an incredible degree, and that nearly all that is not conveyed in gesture has a technical term, which though it might be English or French or German or Italian in its derivation, is known to all climbers of any nation. "Left", "right", "on belay", "carabiner", "stitch plate", "mantle", "number 3 Wild Country rock", "number 1 RP" - all these terms are universal. And everything else can be conveyed just as easily by gesture, by facial expression, or at worst by drawing pictures in the sand.

(Yes, there really is a climb called "Tannin" at Arapilies, it's a three-star route (i.e., amongst the very best) and a 40-metre grade 19. I probably had it in the back of my mind when I chose my handle. It's a little too hard for me to lead, even back then when I was young and very fit, but I have seconded it cleanly, and can vouch for the three-star rating from my own experience.)