My HTPC died! New Build Time!

Stereodude

Not really a
So I went to power up the HTPC tonight and it was dead. It wouldn't POST. No beep codes. I tried clearing the BIOS nothing worked. I pulled it from the case, stripped it down to the bare minimum and still nothing. I tried another power supply with no luck. Tried it without the RAM, etc, etc, etc. I somehow got into the BIOS one time but it wouldn't POST after I exited the BIOS.

I think it's either the mobo or the CPU. Unfortunately this is my only AM2 based system, so I have no way to test them and narrow it down.

FWIW, I would rather just buy an Intel 775 mobo and processor instead of pouring more money into this thing. I'm thinking E5200 + some mobo. It needs to support DDR2, be fanless, and have a PCIe x16 slot.

Suggestions?

ddrueding

Fixture
The question I would be asking, since I am in exactly the same situation (mine died yesterday), is: Is there an onboard video solution out there that can handle 1080p and good surround audio via HDMI? Socket 775 would be great, but the ability to have no cards whatsoever really appeals.

I'm just about to start my search...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think it does; the nVidia IGP behaves a lot better with my Auzentech cards, whereas the ATI hardware that does support audio over HDMI does act horribly with my chosen sound hardware.

I use an MSI nVidia-based Intel board for my HTPC builds.

ddrueding

Fixture
Shutting it off is not a concern for me. I want it to work. One of the good things about digital audio is that I no longer need to worry about the quality of the hardware, either it works or it doesn't.

Stereodude

Not really a
The DFI has the newer video, but I don't know how much better it is.
For a HTPC it's no better. The people on AVSforum said the stock cooling on the ASUS isn't very adequate for a lower airflow (aka quiet) HTPC and it runs very hot. If that's the case and I need to slap an aftermarket cooler on it, I might as well get the cheaper non-passive Zotac. I already have a Thermalright HR-05 IFX from the dead HTPC I can just re-use.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Shutting it off is not a concern for me. I want it to work. One of the good things about digital audio is that I no longer need to worry about the quality of the hardware, either it works or it doesn't.

The ASUS seems to have better features, and it is smaller, but I'm alergic to ASUS. The DFI has the newer video, but I don't know how much better it is.

For a HTPC it's no better. The people on AVSforum said the stock cooling on the ASUS isn't very adequate for a lower airflow (aka quiet) HTPC and it runs very hot. If that's the case and I need to slap an aftermarket cooler on it, I might as well get the cheaper non-passive Zotac. I already have a Thermalright HR-05 IFX from the dead HTPC I can just re-use.

Well, I ordered the Zotac + E5300, and I paid the $30 for overnight shipping.

U didn't read the Apple Fanboi thread on the new MacMini on avsforums SD, still got yer blinders on I see :)

Geez man, just get a Mac already!

MacMini, 9400, silent and smaller than all above...goes well with Audi style wise :p

Kanex Mini DisplayPort Adapter To HDMI 1080p Video w/ Digital Audio

Apple Refreshes the iMac, Mac mini, and Apple Remote | eHomeUpgrade

How bout that 'magic mouse', bet Merc's gonna luv that!

Apple Revamps Mac Mini, Adds Mini Server - Reviews by PC Magazine

Still don't like the KB's w/o num pad, super sucky, zero tactile feel...I hate them, worse than laptops, well laptops in the drive to be thinner & thinner, also now have super sucky KB's

^course it won't run the 4k Sony:

Sony preps 56-inch, 4K resolution monitor | Electronista

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Where's the popcorn icon when I need it???? Merc: What board are you using?
David, what are you considering?

Mercutio

Last I heard it's not possible to play commercially produced BD titles on a Mac; there's no playback software.

Stereodude

Not really a
What do you use your HTPC for that you need an E8300 for? I would have bought a less powerful CPU than the E5300, but you just don't save any money.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, should I attempt to warranty the old motherboard to Gigabyte? I bought it in Dec/2006 It seems very unlikely that an undervolted AMD 4200+ X2 processor died.

Mercutio

Yes, if only because someone would probably be very happy to have an AMDx2/4200.

The women's shelter where I take old equipment is grateful for anything newer than a Pentium 2.

Stereodude

Not really a
Turns out the warranty on Gigabyte motherboards is tied to manufacturer date, not purchase date. It was made Week 47 2006, so I have about 1 month left.

Stereodude

Not really a
I really want to find someone local who will let me borrow an AM2 processor so I can absolutely confirm it's the motherboard before I start the RMA process.

Mercutio

I'd say there's about a 99% chance it's the board, and would simply RMA the board. If they told me it wasn't broken, you're just out the $10 it cost to ship.

I've seen a CPU die without a thermal event exactly once, ever.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'd say there's about a 99% chance it's the board, and would simply RMA the board. If they told me it wasn't broken, you're just out the $10 it cost to ship.
Good point.

I wonder if they keep new 3 year old boards around to send out as replacements... :scratch:

ddrueding

Fixture
Still installing the OS, so I'll have more comments later. For now, I can tell you that the northbridge cooling on the ASUS board is not adequate for low-airflow machines. It is even less adequate if you leave the "ASUS" brand shiny metal plate that covers most of the fins on the northbridge. If you fail to notice the thin plastic sheet protecting the shiny metal plate, than you have a very hot northbridge that smells bad. This is the kind of crap that I hate ASUS for. Well, this and never releasing stable and feature-complete BIOS. Well, that and having weird quirks like having a 4-channel SATA controller capable of RAID and routing port 3 to an eSATA header, while leaving the JMicron 2-port controller on the motherboard.

Let's just say if this doesn't go smoothly, I already have a nice shiny Intel 775 board sitting on my desk.

Mercutio

... or my personal Asus favorite, a BIOS-mandated and uncustomizable shutdown when the system temp hits 50C.

Which is really easy to get if you have a decent video card.

Stereodude

Not really a
The Zotac came with active cooling, which seemed adequate, but not up to my silent standard. I pulled it off and put my Thermalright HR-05 IFX (running passive). Updating the firmware on my 30GB OCZ Vertex was a total pain in the butt, but that's got nothing to do with this motherboard. That's OCZ's fault. They're a bunch of thoughtless brain dead idiots. Prior to the V1.10 firmware you could only flash it from in Windows from an Intel ICH SATA controller (only ports 1-4) in IDE mode. Which of course means your boot volumes can't be on the ICH controller. That rules out my desktop. Thankfully my server in the basement has an ICH SATA controller with no drives on it.

The only negative is that I can't get the board to run 4-4-4-12 timing on my DDR2-800 memory regardless of how high I set the voltage in the BIOS. Other than that it's been ok so far.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I'm pretty impressed with this system. The HDMI audio is nice. It's a tad quirky having to change audio modes to get PCM for Blu-Ray, but overall I like it.

Stereodude

Not really a
A far as I know, none of the Core processors have had Hyper-Threading. That went away when dual core processors showed up.