My new rig...

ddrueding

Fixture
It makes me happy, and the fact that is was a virtually free upgrade makes it even sweeter:

A64 3500+ Venice Core (2.4Ghz @ 1.2V)
Scythe NCU-2005
Gigabyte nForce4 MB
4GB Geil PC3200
Gigabyte Fanless x800 PCIe
4x Suspended 400GB Seagate SATA in Zalman Heatpipe coolers
3x BenQ 1620 DVD-RW
2x Nexus 120mm@500rpm
SeaSonic S12-380

Yay. Now I can start my multimedia archiving in earnest.

ddrueding

Fixture
My digital camera hasn't worked for nearly a year. In any case, I don't have all the guts in a case yet. I will be recieveing Antec's latest BQE in the next few days. At that point I'll try to get a comera and put something together.

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds awesome! Another request for pictures! What is Antec's BQE? Also, how are you planning the 4GB ram into that setup, are you planning 4x 1GB? I thought that if you populated all 4 dimms, the memory speed is reduced.

I'm very close to building a similar setup. I'm waiting for the Antec P180 to become available before I order. I was planning on:

Antec P180
A64 3500+ (originally winchester, but maybe now Venice)
Thermalright XP120
2GB Crucial
Gigabyte nForce 4 Ultra (probably non-sli)
Gigabyte fanless x800XL
Pioneer 109 DVD-R
Lite-on DVD-ROM
Antec phantom 500 (maybe)
1 Maxtor 300 GB 16 MB cache
2 x Samsung 160 GB
video capture card (not yet determined, but maybe something with the ATI Theater 550)

I just ordered the Dell 2001FP to go along with the new system.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Handruin said:
Also, how are you planning the 4GB ram into that setup, are you planning 4x 1GB? I thought that if you populated all 4 dimms, the memory speed is reduced.
With newer cores, I believe the only hit you take is a 2T instead of 1T command rate. Most good motherboards should let you manually specify the 1T setting to regain your performance, and, if you have quality RAM, then you're unlikely to see any issues.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
No fast drives, then? What do you boot from, a drive with data on it?

ddrueding

Fixture
Handruin said:
What is Antec's BQE?

A very unimposing and pretty small case. BQE stands for "Black Quiet Edition".

SLK2650BQE.jpg

I'll likely replace it with something else (The P180 is first on the list) later on, but until then, this was $60 :shrug:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't like that Antec much. Looks flimsy and cheap in the flesh - which as you point out, it is.

I think the otherwise very impressive specifications you have scream out for a case to match. ;)

Instead of suspending the drives, why not fabricate a vibration dampening cage, from say, low-density particleboard? That would stop your seek times blowing out and allow you to transport the box without removing the drives.

No, I haven't done it, but it would be great to see someone try. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
time said:
Instead of suspending the drives, why not fabricate a vibration dampening cage, from say, low-density particleboard? That would stop your seek times blowing out and allow you to transport the box without removing the drives.

I'm going to be trying something similar. I'll be modifying the Zalman Heatpipe coolers so that some of the heatpipes go straight vertically through all of the hard drives, with the rest going in different directions so that the drives can be closer together. Then I'll be suspending the entire heatsink cage. In theory this should provide more mass to bring my seeks back while at the same time isolating it from the chassis. This will also give me enough leftover heatpipes to perfect my heatpipe northbridge cooler

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
A very nice system you'll have there
thumbsup.gif

ddrueding said:
I boot from a 30GB partiton on one of the drives. These things are fast enough for me
Only until you complete your Storage Freak apprenticeship hehe...

ddrueding

Fixture
Jake the Dog said:
A very nice system you'll have there
thumbsup.gif

ddrueding said:
I boot from a 30GB partiton on one of the drives. These things are fast enough for me
Only until you complete your Storage Freak apprenticeship hehe...

Actually, until I get a larger case and the version of my motherboard with 8 SATA connectors insteat of the current 4. I have some 74GB raptors sitting on my workbench that might be quiet enough if suspended.

Handruin

Administrator
I just recieved my Dell 2001FP. No dead pixels, and at 1600x1200, it looks awesome!

:bow:

Handruin

Administrator
I read too many issues with backscreen light bleeding and I also didn't want to deal with the widescreen incompatibilities with games. I preferred the 1600x1200 resolution vs the odd number which comes with the 2005FPW. I have to admit, they had a hell of a deal on that monitor recently at $397.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, here's my NEW new rig...

A64 3700+ San Diego Core (2.75Ghz @ 1.5V)
Scythe Ninja
Gigabyte nForce4 SLI
1GB Corsair XMS DDR550
40GB Samsung SATA 2.5" in a Scythe Silent Box Enclosure
BenQ 1620 DVD-RW
Nexus 120mm@500rpm
Antec Phantom 350W

All my storage and goodies have moved to my new HTPC rig in the front room.

Silverstone LC03 Chassis
Zalman CNPS-7700AlCu
A64 3500+ Venice
Gigabyte nForce4 SLI
2GB Geil PC3200
MSI Fanless x300 PCIe
4x 400GB Seagate SATA
2x BenQ 1620 DVD-RW w/SATA adapters
SeaSonic S12-380

I'm still waiting for a Black P180 to become available for my main Rig...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Why an nForce 4 SLI board if the only thing you manage to plug into it is a x300??? I mean, if you want SATA II, there are cheaper nForce 4 Ultra boards.

...or maybe : "Woohoo!! look at my futuremark 2003 score with my 2x x300 in SLI mode. Almost x600-like. I rule!!" ;-)

Handruin

Administrator
The difference between the SLI and non-sli version of that board is $5... I'd probably get the SLI also...

ddrueding

Fixture
In addition to the measley price difference, it moves the video card closer to the CPU. The only fan I have is a Nexus 120mm @ 5v between the CPU HS and the passive video card making the airflow from the HSF work better at keeping the video cool as well.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I am looking to put a Peachtree Database & yet unprogrammed Access database server together with the following stuff:

Tyan S2882G3NR-D - Dual Opteron
AMD Opteron OSA246CEP5AU - bulk - only one for now
Thermaltake A1838 Silient Boost
CKVR400D2R3/512 x 2
Gigabyte GeForce 6200 GV-NX62TC256DE
Sony MPF920/Z/161 FDD
LG GSA-4163B
Samsung HD040GJ
Samsung SP2004C x 2
Enlight EN-8950 Case
OCZ OCZ52012U PSU
Microsoft C59-00036
Windows XP Pro SP2
NOD32
OPTI ES1000C-RM

I was thinking this would be flexible enough for growth and needs over the next several years. Any comments?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well I put in my nice new gaming rig in the P180.

I went with a 90nm A64/3200, because I wanted a 90nm chip and there weren't any 3000s about.

So it's a
SL-K8TPro-939
A64/3200 that can probably be overclocked somehow (never bothered with an A64, but if I can get it to 2.2GHz I'll be happy)
2GB Corsair RAM (down from 3GB, but I don't imagine it makes much difference)
4x 7k250s
1x PATA SP1614
1x PATA 300GB DiamondMax 10 (I found it this morning, still in shrink wrap...)
256MB X800 Pro driving a 21" Mitsubishi CRT and a 17" Dell LCD
A couple LiteOn optical drives (all of which are beige. Good thing for the door on that case)
X-Mystique + Onkyo TX-NR801 + real speakers
HEC 500W PSU

I decided that I'm not really that interested in PCI-Express right now. My "big" graphics card is still AGP. The Soltek board gave me 4 SATA ports and 6 PATA; in theory I could use every drive bay in that case without adding an external controller. Sweet!
As far as setup on the P180... it took WAY longer than any case I've worked with before. I was really worried about my ATX power being long enough - the connector on that board is in the top right-hand corner.
Routing cables so they were neat was the biggest time-waster, but second place was getting that black fan-holding doohickey back in front of the PCI slots where it's supposed to go. Man, I hate that thing.
Normally I can build a PC - from parts in boxes to assembled and running Windows, in a little over 15 minutes (I turn screws while ghost is running <g>). This beast took me 3 hours to put together. Kinda made me feel like an idiot.

On the other hand, the new board booted the old Windows 2000 install just fine. I had to install the new NIC and RAID controllers to access all my drives, but that was expected. I think this is the 4th Via chipset this particular Windows install has seen.

OK, so back to the case: It's a frickin' whisper. Considering there are 6 hard disks, 3 120mm fans, a CPU fan and a GPU fan in mine, I barely hear a thing from this guy. Nothing, really, except the occasional noises characteristic of the 7k250s (they kind of go "clunk" every hour or so. I don't know why. Thermal recalibration?).
I actually had an "Is this thing on?" moment when I first pressed the power button, until I saw the Blue LED on the front (arg! Blue! Sooooooo bright)
Everything - everything - that either holds a fan or can vibrate inside a P180 is cushioned with soft plastic. Antec even provides a cage to cushion the PSU. The build quality is very high.

I'm not sure if a case like this would normally be worth $140 to me, especially without a power supply. But I'm happy with the aesthetics and the noise levels, so I'd say it's probably money well spent.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Buck said:
I am looking to put a Peachtree Database & yet unprogrammed Access database server together with the following stuff:

Tyan S2882G3NR-D - Dual Opteron...

I was thinking this would be flexible enough for growth and needs over the next several years. Any comments?

I'd say that machine is massive overkill. Even if they're implementing fairly serious transaction processing on Foxpro on SQL Server, that machine is probably massive overkill.

Actually though, my main concern is the nVidia 6200. Even setting aside my usual suspicions about nvidia hardware, isn't that an awful lot of GPU for a business server? I'm thinking here in terms of the amount of heat they put out and the amount of power they use. Wouldn't your costumer be just as well off with a radeon 7000 or even an S3 cheapie? It's not like anyone is going to be sitting in front of this machine for long periods of time, right?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Buck said:

Tyan S2882G3NR-D - Dual Opteron...

Actually though, my main concern is the nVidia 6200. Even setting aside my usual suspicions about nvidia hardware, isn't that an awful lot of GPU for a business server? I'm thinking here in terms of the amount of heat they put out and the amount of power they use. Wouldn't your costumer be just as well off with a radeon 7000 or even an S3 cheapie? It's not like anyone is going to be sitting in front of this machine for long periods of time, right?

As far as overkill, yes, that was my plan. There business is new and growing, and there is a good chance that in the future the system would be upgrade to Server 2003 and Exchange woudl be installed, along with who knows what else. I wanted to give them plenty of growing space for at least 5 years.

On the GPU front, I forgot that I priced out the S2882 - that comes with onboard graphics. I thougth I had priced out the S2895A2NRF.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I lay awake last night worried about the temp of all those hard drives in the Silverstone, so I made a run to Frys today and spent too much money. I think I averaged about $1000/hr :(.

Workstation:

A64 3700+ San Diego Core (2.75Ghz - 250x11@1.5V)
Scythe Ninja
Gigabyte nForce4 SLI
1GB Corsair XMS DDR550
40GB Samsung SATA 2.5" in a Scythe Silent Box Enclosure
BenQ 1620 DVD-RW
Nexus 120mm@500rpm
Antec Phantom 350W

HTPC:

Silverstone LC03 Chassis
Zalman CNPS-7700AlCu
A64 3500+ Venice
Gigabyte nForce4 SLI
2GB Geil PC3200
MSI Fanless x300 PCIe
Samsung 160GB SATA in Vantec drive cooler
BenQ 1620 DVD-RW PATA
SeaSonic S12-380

Server:

Cooler Master Stacker
Zalman CNPS-7700AlCu
A64 3000+ Venice
Gigabyte nForce4 SLI
1GB Geil PC3200
MSI Fanless x300 PCIe
4x 400GB Seagate SATA in Vantec drive cooler
BenQ 1620 DVD-RW PATA
Antec NeoPower 480

The workstation is silent. The parts are sitting next to me, without a chassis to dampen any noise, and it's completely inaudible. The hum from the refrigerator 4 rooms, 3 doors, and 100' away completely dominates my ears.

The HTPC is great, no TV tuner card becuase I don't watch TV, but enough horsepower to encode XviD or play HD media without issue. Very quiet in it's new configuration.

The server is just what I've always wanted: complete overkill with endless expansion. With room for 20 hard drives and 2 power supplies, the 8 SATA and 4 PATA ports seems limiting. Though I like the dual GbE (one chipset the other PCI-E) ports, I'll need to do some homework on routing to make best use of it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
I am looking to put a Peachtree Database & yet unprogrammed Access database server together with the following stuff ...

Until you corrected it, I was going to comment that the display card is a Turbo Cache model. Although the shared memory probably isn't supposed to kick in if you're not using 3D, in a server it makes me nervous.

Opteron can be considerably more effective than Xeon, which in turn has lousy scalability. In some applications, one Opteron is worth two Xeons. I agree with Merc - dual Opterons sounds like overkill here.

I assume that Peachtree will also be using an Access backend to start with? If so, you're configuring a file server more than a database server, and dual CPUs will be a complete waste of time.

As a rough rule of thumb, I'd allow for one CPU for every 4GB of RAM. A corollary is that if you need less than 4GB, you probably only need one CPU (processor-intensive apps aside). Given that Opteron-specific features such as larger cache are to support multiple CPUs, a further corollary is that you probably only need an Athlon 64. I no longer believe that ECC RAM is necessary for the sort of server you're describing - IMO you're far more likely to see corruption from software etc than from a stray bit every few years.

Dropping ECC should halve your RAM costs, meaning you can double it to a more useful size. It would be nice to fully utilize DIMM slots with 1GB modules rather than 512MB. Enough to allow full caching of the data will help disguise the sluggish drives. BTW, MS SQL server includes its own memory management and doesn't like to share. M$ Exchange may be better on another box if there's real traffic.

For a true database server app, Raptor drives deliver about twice the throughput as 7200rpm desktop units. With MS Access, the performance gain is not as dramatic because it's limited by the network speed - consider Gigabit LAN if the database is more than a couple of hundred MB. Actually, consider getting rid of Access. :p

Remember that ATA/SATA drives have poor write performance under heavy multi-user loads. If data is really critical, write-caching on the drives should be disabled and a battery-backed caching controller added.

Why do you have only a single boot drive? Is downtime not an issue for this server? What about a redundant power supply?

Do you really need 200GB in the mirror? How do you intend to back it up?

ddrueding

Fixture
The Neopower ran for about 18 hours before erupting in a cloud of smoke. It filled the laundry room, leaving quite a suprise for me when I got home. Fortunatly it didn't take anything else (like the TB up unbackedup data) with it.

I have since replaced it with an Antec TruePower 500W. This PS has 2 fans and still has the modular cables...sweet!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'll be meeting with my customer this week to get some more details about what he plans to do with this system.

Has anyone used the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 850W SSI Power Supply?