NAS Drives

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm entirely unconvinced of the argument that we should pay extra to get a slower drive with uncrippled firmware when we could just buy proper desktop drives in the first place for pretty much the same amount of money.
Also (and I am forced by secret documents in the SF charter to remind everyone of this), no WD drive is acceptable for any use whatsoever.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does that include Seagate since the mergers?

Never mind. I suppose those are still two separate entities.

The reason I would buy the NAS drives now is that I might buy the NAS later on in the summer and reuse the drives for that. From my understanding the slow drives are OK since the 1Gb ethernet is the bottleneck for large files and only one user.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm entirely unconvinced of the argument that we should pay extra to get a slower drive with uncrippled firmware when we could just buy proper desktop drives in the first place for pretty much the same amount of money.
So you don't agree with artificial market segregation of products to allow companies and shareholders to maximize profits then?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I suppose so, but those use such an old and flaming technology.

They are still among the fastest drives on the market. To get something something better, you'll have to dig in your wallet (~270$ to ~280$) for a Seagate Constellation ES.3 or a Western Digital Caviar Black RE. IMO, the HGST 4TB is the best value right now. The design has been mostly unchanged for two years and it has a proven reliability.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
So you don't agree with artificial market segregation of products to allow companies and shareholders to maximize profits then?

cparty.jpg