Need a Video Card ASAP

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My current PCIe graphics card will not run the 2536x1600 resolution. :( What can I order today from the NewEgg? I need one that is relatively low power/low fan noise and only takes up one slot (no huge fan). I will never need any 3D performance. The video card also needs to work right out of the box with a CD of drivers. I cannot be downloading any drivers for it. Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering Photoshop CS4 does use 3D acceleration in some of its features (zooming, etc). Are you sure you don't want some 3D capability?

On the other hand, CS4 keeps disabling the video card acceleration on my machine do to "driver issues". Even though I have the latest.

LunarMist

The 30" displays just aren't that good. I f*cking give up. :(
Why is it that monitors are worse now than 3 years ago?

LunarMist

Spent a ton on 30" displays and had to RMA. I won't try any more of them, because I think only a few different manufacturers make the panels. My old, damaged 21.4" is better than any of them, so I will do nothing for now.

LunarMist

I am back to needing another video card, because the cooling fan is running very slow, nearly at a standstill and noisy. I blew out the dust, but the bearing is caput after a couple of years. The heatsink is too hot and the GPU may fry soon. :( The card I bought last time for the 30" LCD is slightly too wide for the adjacent PCIe card in the curent setup.

Would this card be OK for future use? It has a low profile and no fan, so presumably power draw is low, which is desirable. It also supports larger displays, if that option appears again.

LunarMist

Lets put it this way. If ATI mistreats the workers, I don't want to kow about it. I just want to install the drivers in XP with no problem. Previous card was an X1600 Sapphiro or something.

LunarMist

Considering Photoshop CS4 does use 3D acceleration in some of its features (zooming, etc). Are you sure you don't want some 3D capability?

On the other hand, CS4 keeps disabling the video card acceleration on my machine do to "driver issues". Even though I have the latest.

I'm not planning to use PS CS4 any time soon if ever. If I understand correctly it can use a fancy video card to smooth the interpolated views (i.e., not 100%), which is exactly what I do not want. I quite prefer the aliased images @<100% and know well how they will appear in the output. I may get CS5 when it is time to upgrade to Windows 7 in 2010. I'll have to buy a full version by then, something I'm not looking forward to spending the $$$ on.

LunarMist

Thursday and Friday we get this tracking update:

THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE UPS FACILITY, UPS WILL DELIVER ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY

I'm thinking that the package is lost. :mad: