Need secure, portable computing environment

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mubs, Dave is talking about a wireless (802.11) to wireless(3G/4G) bridge as opposed to a wired (USB) to wireless(3G/4G) bridge. It is more flexible as you can imagine.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks DD & Howell. Wish we had something like the stuff Dave's talking about.

I'm told by friends that the newer Samsung Galaxy type phones (mid to high-end) have tethering capabilities and act like wi-fi hotspots. I have a clunky Nokia E71 with a querty keyboard that doesn't do this kind of thing.

Someday perhaps.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The mobile Hi spots are good for mixed products such as phones, tablets and computers, but they are bulkier than the old USB type and battery charging is Spain.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm told by friends that the newer Samsung Galaxy type phones (mid to high-end) have tethering capabilities and act like wi-fi hotspots. I have a clunky Nokia E71 with a querty keyboard that doesn't do this kind of thing.

Someday perhaps.

According to the Internet, some pretty old phones support hot-spotting, like the iP 3GS. Maybe your near future.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tried updating Win 7 after getting the USB Internet thingy. Even with the SSD, it took almost as long to perform the update as it did to download the updates. Eg., 45 mins to apply 2 updates after downloading it. Disk light flashing for a microsec every 9-10 secs. Just WTF was it doing?

After downloading 140 updates, some half have failed. Now what do I do? Go to each KB file and apply it manually? Auto update doesn't show those as needing to be applied now.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I would trust automatic updates report after a scan. And if some of the updates fail but they are still presented as needed wait for a second failure before panicking.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I would trust automatic updates report after a scan. And if some of the updates fail but they are still presented as needed wait for a second failure before panicking.

There's no reason to panic. You check the update history, find the one or two things that failed and then search out what retarded thing failed. 90% of the time there's a 2-minute auto-fix from Microsoft that makes it work and the rest of the time you have to edit something in the registry by hand or re-register a DLL or something.

Mercutio

As I recall, post-SP1 is around 90. Pre-SP1 might be 140.

I create new install media every few months with updated driver packs and integrated updates. I have to install from an 8GB thumb drive, but it's still worth doing just to be able to shut a newly-deployed machine off instead of letting it sit for an hour and a half installing patches.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
As I recall, post-SP1 is around 90. Pre-SP1 might be 140.

I create new install media every few months with updated driver packs and integrated updates. I have to install from an 8GB thumb drive, but it's still worth doing just to be able to shut a newly-deployed machine off instead of letting it sit for an hour and a half installing patches.

How do you create the new media with integrated updates and updated drivers? AFAIK, nLite does not work properly with W7.

The original install was SP1, but it still said I needed 140 updates. This is just W7-64, MS Office not yet installed. It's not 2 updates that failed, but around 40!

The part I dread is researching each failure and fixing it, because time is one thing I don't have. Maybe I'll leave it that way and come back to it in two weeks time when I can. There's a risk, but I'll have to live with it.

Mercutio

You can do it using a combination of the Windows Automated Install Toolkit, a program called RT7Lite and driver packs from driverpacks.net.