New Seagate ATA Barracudas Announced

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
New Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives Attack Again With Serial ATA And 80GB-Per-Disc Technology

• SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.—02 December 2002— Seagate today announced the Barracuda 7200.7 and the Barracuda 7200.7 Plus disc drives for PCs. Using advanced head and media technology to achieve 80-Gbytes-per-disc, the new drives add storage capacity of up to 160 Gbytes to Seagate's popular Barracuda hard drive family. The new models will offer the choice of a native Serial ATA interface or a Parallel ATA interface. The Barracuda 7200.7 Plus has a standard onboard cache of 8 Mbytes and capacities of 160GB and 120GB, while the Barracuda 7200.7 offers cache of 2 Mbytes on 160GB, 120GB, 80GB and 40GB models. Seagate's patented SoftSonic(tm) Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motor makes the Barracuda the quietest PC hard drive on the market.

The Barracuda 7200.7 product family is designed for today's business PCs, home entertainment PCs, entry-level ATA servers and Network-Attached Storage (NAS).

Seagate is shipping Serial ATA drives today, and the Barracuda 7200.7 extends the technology delivered by its predecessor, the Barracuda ATA V. Serial ATA is a faster, simpler, more intelligent interface technology...

READ THE REST AT:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,1565,00.html

Platform

timwhit said:
Whatever happened to the ATA VI did they skip that one?

Yes, the Seagate Time Machine department skipped that one in favour of going into the lodging business. The ATA VI was relegated to the future.

hpp1.gif

hpp2.gif

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Platform said:
New Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives Attack Again With Serial ATA And 80GB-Per-Disc Technology

• SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.—02 December 2002— Seagate today announced the Barracuda 7200.7 and the Barracuda 7200.7 Plus disc drives for PCs. Using advanced head and media technology to achieve 80-Gbytes-per-disc, the new drives add storage capacity of up to 160 Gbytes to Seagate's popular Barracuda hard drive family. The new models will offer the choice of a native Serial ATA interface or a Parallel ATA interface. The Barracuda 7200.7 Plus has a standard onboard cache of 8 Mbytes and capacities of 160GB and 120GB, while the Barracuda 7200.7 offers cache of 2 Mbytes on 160GB, 120GB, 80GB and 40GB models. Seagate's patented SoftSonic(tm) Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motor makes the Barracuda the quietest PC hard drive on the market.

The Barracuda 7200.7 product family is designed for today's business PCs, home entertainment PCs, entry-level ATA servers and Network-Attached Storage (NAS).

Seagate is shipping Serial ATA drives today, and the Barracuda 7200.7 extends the technology delivered by its predecessor, the Barracuda ATA V. Serial ATA is a faster, simpler, more intelligent interface technology...

READ THE REST AT:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,1565,00.html

I submitted this news entry at about 6:45 GMT. Nothing yet... :(
Coug and Hand, where are you?!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Cool! :drl:

(BTW, I had a mail confirmation for the submission so it's really strange it's not up yet...)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There's nothing strange there. Both Doug and I work full-time jobs and, personnaly, the first time I want to do when I come back home isn't necessarily to loggin on my mail account just to check in case someone submitted a news. This evening, I arrived at 17h10 (I left at 6h45 this morning). I took some time to relax, clean up a bit, eat my supper and then I visited the forum and checked for news. I posted yours around 18h45. Happy now.

You know, Earth isn't going to stop turning just because a submitted news is posted a few hours late. If you aren't satisfied, then feel free to pay me my full sallary just to sit in front of my computer and check my e-mails every twenty minutes just in case you submit something. Maybe you'll understand when you'll stop your studies and start to earn your life.

Thanks for the news BTW.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
There's nothing strange there. Both Doug and I work full-time jobs and, personnaly, the first time I want to do when I come back home isn't necessarily to loggin on my mail account just to check in case someone submitted a news. This evening, I arrived at 17h10 (I left at 6h45 this morning). I took some time to relax, clean up a bit, eat my supper and then I visited the forum and checked for news. I posted yours around 18h45. Happy now.

You know, Earth isn't going to stop turning just because a submitted news is posted a few hours late. If you aren't satisfied, then feel free to pay me my full sallary just to sit in front of my computer and check my e-mails every twenty minutes just in case you submit something. Maybe you'll understand when you'll stop your studies and start to earn your life.

Thanks for the news BTW.

I was in the same boat. I left around 8:00AM and didn't return home until 6:50pm, where the news was posted at 2:00AM my time. Like Coug has mentioned, my mail isn't the first thing I check when I get home.

In any situation we don't simply delete the news if we don't like it, or the person. (I'm not saying I don't like you Prof.) Point being that if there were an issue with a submitted news item, the problem would be discussed like it has in the past. We're easy going, no need to worry, you're news will get posted...eventually. ;)

Granted I can understand that a news item becomes potentially pointless if it takes too long to submit, but if this ever becomes a big issue, we may have to consider a few more news posters. We simply don’t have the exposure like anand’s where posting news instantly will make a difference. :)

Explorer

An alternative to that would be to do away with the News as it is and simply add a forum dedicated to posting "Computer News."

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Don't take it personal. I only thought the e-mail confirmation came in when the news where actually online, not submitted.

I find it very interesting the earth is spinning, Coug. Last time I said something like this in the Uni the prof looked down on me and murmured words like "burn, inquisition, heretic" and the likes... So please, understand me... :roll:

The Grammar Police

Hmmmm ... Seeing as the Inquisition was shut down in ... er ... 1809, if I remember correctly, I guess this must make you one of the longest-serving undergraduates, yes? Are they planning any special ceremony in seven years time to mark your 200th straight year without graduating Prof? How do you feel about being older than the entire teaching staff put together? Or is this just something one gets used to after the first century or two?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Heheh,
don't see the Pope weak and unable today... his powers go far beyond 1809...
I'm a modern Knight Hospitaller. :wink:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Constantine's decades of service must result from some special brew served to all of the Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem.