New toys

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
OK, I had to get some new toys, so I ordered a Barton 2800 and one 512MB Kingston 400MHz memory.

I'll get the stuff later this week, and I'll put it in my A7V8X and replace the XP2400. Got 2x512MB Kingston 333MHz in there, so I'll have 1.5GB RAM after that.
Only thing is I have a faint thought about the board only supporting 333 MHz with 2 sticks...Time for RTFM...

Oh, and using a SLK-800 Thermalright cooler with a Papst blowing with 26cfm and 19db.

Anyone here tried overclocking one of these?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I thought about creating a thread today entitled "bragging time" to list the config of the two news systems I'm building.

Both will be exactly the same, excepted for the enclosure and graphic card :
  • Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred AXDA1800DLT3C
    Thermalright SK-7 & Panaflo H1A 39cfm / Arctic Silver Ceramic
    GigaByte GA-7N400 Pro
    1x 256MB PC3200 Corsair XMS
    Western Digital WD400JB
I'll use my old optical drives instead of buying new ones. The box I'll use the most often will get an ATI Radeon 9500 128MB (non-Pro) that I intend to modify to a 9700 if I get the proper version. The other one will have a much cheaper Radeon 9100 64MB from Sapphire. The two enclosures will be a) Lian-Li PC-5 with a ChannelWell 330W PSU and b) my old Antec SX1000 with three new Vantec Stealth 80mm fans and an Enermax 350W dual-fan PSU.

These two will replace my three old boxes. The main purpose is to have a quieter computer room, better F@H numbers and at least one box able to display all the video novelties available as of now. The entire cost of the upgrade will be less than 2000$CDN. Minus the money I'll get from selling some (hopefully all) my older parts/systems. All the stuff have benn bought and I'm waiting only for the motherboards/graphic cards/RAM to arrive next week before firing them up.

I hope to hit 2300MHz with each Athlon XP, which should bring my weekly F@H production up in the 800's points, compared to my current ~500/week.

Finland ambassador : I cannot test yet the efficiency of the SK-7 and how far it will allow me to push my Thoroughbred, but my results should be comparable to yours. I have a lesser heatsink (although not by much) and a more powerful fan, so it should be quite equal overall.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
nice systems guys! you'll love the SLK-800 JoJo

can I play too?

I just updated my PC and I'm quite happy with it. bought what I hope is the last of the new peripherals for it yesterday, namely the Logitech Cordless MX Duo (MX700 cordless optical mouse and cordless Elite keyboard). so this is what I have for the moment:

• P4 2.8C @ 3500MHz (14 x 250)
  • Lapped Thermaltake Spark 7 with Shin-Etsu. 70mm>80mm adaptor, Thermaltake duct & Thermaltake 80mm SmartFan II
  • Asus P4P800. NB HS lapped and reseated with AS3 thermal paste. "Wing" on middle fin removed for better airflow and 7000rpm 23dB 40mm ball bearing fan added.
  • 1GB OCZ Gold EL PC3700 @ 500MHz with 2-3-3-6 timings.
  • WD Raptor
  • Seagate 120GB SATA 7200.7
  • WD 400JB
  • Pioneer A06P DVD +/- R/RW (black)
  • Sony 52x24x52 (black)
  • Sony floppy (black)
  • ATI 9800Pro 256MB DDR-II. HS removed and reseated with AS3. Spring clips retentioned for higher HS clamp force.
  • 2 x Benq FP767 17" LCD (was very lucky to get two with no dead pixels)
  • Hercules GameThreatre XP 6.1
  • TI Firewire
  • Logitech MX700 fast RF cordless optical mouse
  • Logitech Elite keyboard
  • Thermaltake XASER II with a bit of sound deadening in strategic places.
  • Antec 480W TruePower PSU
since I was putting together a nice system well capable of digital pic/video editing, I thought I better update my digicam & DV cam too so I just last week purchased a Casio EX-Z3 with a 256MB SanDisk SD memory card and a Panasonic NV-DS65A-S DV cam.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Wow, nice systems guys!

You should be able to OC the heck out of those proc's Cougtek! Please report back when you get the systems up and running. You're right about our coolers, I think you might be able to get better results than I due to the better fan you're using...

JtD, how does the MX700 feel? I've been thinking about getting the mouse and keyboard.

The memory arrived today, the proc should hopefully arrive on thursday. The importers here have really lousy inventory at the moment. :(
Can't blame them though, most of the country's population is on holiday (30 degreen centigrade outside :) ).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
So now I'll probably need to upgrade my mb next. Nforce2 probably, seems that there aren't too many competitors for it.

Can you use 4x512MB sticks on the 400 ultra boards and still use dual channel ddr? Haven't looked on them boards too much yet...

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The JoJo said:
JtD, how does the MX700 feel? I've been thinking about getting the mouse and keyboard.
I'll chime in and say the MX700 is great for right-handers but not very friendly if you are left handed. It is heavier than a normal mouse but still easy enough to slide around. Works fine with other MX700s in the area and from decent distances w/o needing line of sight since it's RF and not IR. It comes with NiMH batteries and the receiver doubles as a charging station. If the batteries run down, you can substitute AAs. The NiMHs last me an average of 4-5 days before needing a recharge; I usually charge it twice a week. Did not work through a passive (non-powered) KVM at home but I understand this can be a problem for any cordless rodent when not using a good KVM. Perhaps a KVM with USB would work better.

The only knock to me is that the mouse does go to 'sleep' to conserve power and it can take some movement to wake it back up. Clicking or using the wheel also works.

You can use Window's default driver but if you want to customize the buttons you will need to install the Logitech driver. This includes if you want to program one button that Windows doesn't recognize by default.

- Fushigi

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The JoJo said:
Can you use 4x512MB sticks on the 400 ultra boards and still use dual channel ddr? Haven't looked on them boards too much yet...
I know the GigaByte 7N400 series can, don't know for other nForce2 boards though. Most others only have 3 DIMM sockets.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I got the wireless logitech keyboard/mouse 1 step lower. The range is great! The keyboard easily operates 40 feet and 2 rooms away (behind 2 closed doors). I assume th mouse has similar distance.

I don't notice much delay when the mouse goes to sleep, maybe 1/2 second and then the mouse stays on until you stop using it for several minutes.

Mine came with Alkaline AA, but I replaced them with NiMH batteries. Batteries seem like they might last 1 week on a full charge (Energizer/Sanyo 1850s).

One thing that I like about the Logitech software is that you can look at the battery charge to see if your batteries are low. This gives you a good heads up to make sure you can charge your batteries ahead of time and not at the most inconvenient time possible.

I also have heard about wireless delays, but I can't detect a bit of it. These things are like using a wired keyboard without the mess.

There's a secure mode for the keyboard, never tried it, but I suppose if you want to make sure no one is logging your keystrokes via radio reciever it would be a good idea to turn it on.

Overall, excellent products. My only complaint is that it took me awhile to get the volume controll increment where I wanted it (4% instead of 10%) and that the keyboard has the typical logitech feel of being a little bendable and needing the screws tightenned down when you 1st get it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
The two enclosures will be a) Lian-Li PC-5 with a ChannelWell 330W PSU and b) my old Antec SX1000 with three new Vantec Stealth 80mm fans and an Enermax 350W dual-fan PSU.
Just noticed : NCIX sent me a PC-10 instead of the PC-5...for the same price. One additional 3½ bay for free :) So I got a PC-10 for 74$CDN when most places charge over 170$CDN for it.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
The postman just brought me my Barton, so I'm going to do some tweaking tonight! :)

I also brougth 2 compucase hc-940 HD coolers. Thought I'd get some of the noise and heat away from the 2 Seagate 10k Scsi drives I have (along with the x15-36lp and A10k3).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Okey, just inserted all the stuff.
Everything's been ok for the last 15 minutes.

I've changed the normal multiplier of 12.5 to 14 now, but I'm still using the normal 166MHz fsb. At the moment I'm running prime, and the temperature, with side panel open, is 33 motherboard and 51 processor.
This is with the SLK-800 and a Papst 26cfm fan.

I haven't run Sandra in a long time (not this year anyway) but here are the numbers for my XP2400 and now for the Barton running with 14x166
Cpu arithmetic :
7392 / 2960
8525 / 3488

And no you smarty pants, the system does not feel too much faster when I'm typing this :)

I also put in the 512MB 400MHz Kingston for a total of 1.5GB.

I guess I'll be happy with this for a while again :)

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
After 0.5-1 hours of prime it reported an error. So I gave it 0.05V more, but that didn't help.

So now I backed it down to 13.5x166. I could of course put a better fan on the cooler, and to the case, but that would of course generate more noise and that is unacceptable.

So I'll probably run this like it is now, if it is stable.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
blakerwry said:
Mine came with Alkaline AA, but I replaced them with NiMH batteries. Batteries seem like they might last 1 week on a full charge (Energizer/Sanyo 1850s).

I take that back, it's been 4 days that I've used the PC and my battery meter is still on green (atleast 3/4ths) for both mouse and keyboard. Considering that the battery meter started off below full (i can only assume becasue of the lower voltage of NiMH) that seems pretty good.

Of course, I don't know if the battery meter is optimized for Alkaline or NiMH. The two have different characteristics as they run down, Alkaline's fading more gradually and NiMH fading slowly until the end where they just up and die.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Dare I? It's only an A7v8X, with a sticker on the NB/SB with 333 certified or something similar...

OK, Will try that tomorrow :)

XP just crapped out on me, again...Safe mode ok, but normal no. Even with default settings. Although, this installation has been with me through 3-4 motherboards and X cpu's. And it's an W2K upgraded. And it's been with me since W2K got out....

Call me weird, but Linux hasn't done the same to my blood pressure as Windows! (Negative way, mind you...)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Purolator guy also passed today to deliver almost all the missing parts I need to finish building my two new crunchers. Only thing missing is the RAM (Thursday I should have it).

I had a few problems to fit my SK-7 on the GigaByte 7N400 Pro. There's a big capacitor that I didn't notice on the online image that gets in the way of the fan retention wire. I had to fold the wire in order to clip the heatsink. And the Lian-Li PC-10 isn't such a charm to work with. The removable hard drive bay sitting at the bottom of the case cannot be screwed when you have already placed a drive into it, because of the position of the screw holes. Many other small details made my life more complicated too, but now that it's done, it should work well.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
So now I backed it down to 13.5x166. I could of course put a better fan on the cooler, and to the case, but that would of course generate more noise and that is unacceptable.

If you want a better fan (more powerful, lower noise) try a Panaflo L1A. Rated at 21dB, 24CFM but I can assure you the Papst ratings are optimistic, and their 80mm line of fans suck big time (vibration). Might not help with the overclock but its definately a more powerful and quieter fan largely due to the fluid bearing.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
if only Papst could be rpm monitored

I take it you meant Panaflo? Unfortunately they don't make the L1A with a tacho output, but they do have one with a locked rotor signal.

Unless you really care about the RPMs you're running at. In which case get the M1A with tacho and 7v wire it.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
actually I meant both. every Pabst and Panaflo I know of don't have rpm outputs. the M1A you mentioned is the first none I know of . thanks for the tip!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Papst makes just about any fan with speed sense. You just have to ask them for it (when ordering from the factory :)

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Almost all Papst fans have models with RPM sensing. They can be identified by /2 in the model number.

Example:
Papst 8412 NGL is the 12dB 80 mm fan
Papst 8412 N/2GL is the same fan w/ RPM sensing

Pretty much same for Panaflo. The ones w/ RPM sensing can be identified by looking at the end of the model number; if it ends with BX the fan has RPM sensing.

In both occasions this is not the same as rotor lock. I don't know how to identify for rotor lock (though RPM sensing is bit similiar).

Cheers,

Jan

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
well there you go, didn't know that. thanks for edumacating me :p

I've never seen any Panaflo or Pabst fans with rpm monitoring. are they a special order? why aren't they readily availabe?

Jan Kivar

Papst is marketed/sold mainly in Europe, Panaflo in North America. What I've understood from SilentPCReview is that most Panaflos ship without RPM sensing capabilities. They usually have no connector at all. Some places will sell You a Panaflo without the connector, and charge You extra for it. (or, the fan is cheaper, but with the added price of the connector You end up with the same price) This way You can have either 3-pin motherboard connector (actually, some Panaflos have 2-pin connectors), or 4-pin Molex.

The shops where I've bought my Papsts have always sold both the RPM and non-RPM-sensing ones. I have both. Difference is just the connector. I don't know whether one could just solder in the 3rd wire to the fan and have RPM-sensing fan.

Yes, both Papst and Panaflo fans are hard to find; or, not all shops sell them. Both are widely used in "quiet computing". SilentPCReview has good Vendor forum where one can find good deals in US/Canada/UK, maybe even AUS.

Cheers,

Jan

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Seems the A7v8X only has a 5/1 pci divider, so going for 200fsb might not be such a good idea.

The shops here started importing the Papst fans with rpm monitors a few years ago. Before that they only bought fans without it.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Vantec stealth are actually rebadged NMB 3110KL-B10's

NMB makes the smoothest bearings I've ever seen on any DC fan, and they should do to, making turbine bearings and bullet train bearings ;)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
NRG = mc² said:
Vantec stealth are actually rebadged NMB 3110KL-B10's

NMB makes the smoothest bearings I've ever seen on any DC fan, and they should do to, making turbine bearings and bullet train bearings ;)

Energy, do you have a link for the NMB product? By the way, the Vantec fans are pretty inexpensive.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Although not $3.00, I can sell the retail packaged Vantec Stealth SF8025L with the optional 3-pin to 4-pin molex converter and 4 case screws for $7.50. I think that is a pretty good deal considering how well the fans work and how quiet they run.

I did a little test with that fan in one of my usual ATX cases and was able to drop the motherboard temperature 10-degrees Fahrenheit (according to the Asus probe utiltity) versus the standard (noisy) chasis fan that came with the enclosure.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I've got the Sonata, its a nice case - especially the HDD isolators and sideways mounting which greatly reduced the idle and seek noise of my WD800JB and helped keep cables in place. The stock fan is a good one - low noise at 5v with no annoying clicking or bearing rumble.

However:

- The included PSU isn't that quiet. A fan swap isnt really an option either as it runs real hot and the components are crammed in there in a way that impedes airflow.

- The location of the mounting for a front 120mm fan is plain pointless and dumb - in front of the hard drive mounting

- Front bezel intake design is very restrictive and unless one uses a 38mm deep fan, most of the airflow is lost once the cover is in place. Mine is heavily modded, cut out a lot of material. That wasn't enough though so I cut out a large square on the bottom of the case and lifted it off the floor to get adequate cooling with the stock fan at 5v

- Front blue LEDs are bright enough to burn the wallpaper off the wall.

In short, a nice case that suffers from some stupid design faults :(

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
- The included PSU isn't that quiet.

How bad is it? Prevent it from being a living room PC? A home theater PC?

- The location of the mounting for a front 120mm fan is plain pointless and dumb - in front of the hard drive mounting

Is a front fan necessary?
And if I wanted a front fan I'd sure want it to pull the cooler air over my hard drives, correct?

- Front blue LEDs are bright enough to burn the wallpaper off the wall.

Shiny thingies, ooohhh aaahhhh ;)