Newegg flash ads circumventing Flash Click to View?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Anyone else finding the (Moz/FF...) Flash Click to View extension isn't blocking recent Newegg adds?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
No, no, not on newegg, but on various websites. For example, at the top of the page on http://techreport.com/

All the ads on the different sites are the same, "Are you overclocked? We are...blah blah blah".

PS. its possible this may be attributable to my config only, but I'm not certain what I would have changed to permit these ads to display. All other flash materials remain "click to view"

PPS - And speaking about flash crap, I noticed the other day that Anandtech has stopped using flash pictures for there performance "benchmarks" .... or at least I am presuming.... maybe is specific to my config again?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed FireFox the other day. Pretty much a 'generic' install. The Newegg add at The TechReport is flashing right along.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I saw it. Then I clicked the little "Adblock" button underneath the ad. And now all is right again with my browser.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
... Then I clicked the little "Adblock" button underneath the ad. And now all is right again with my browser.

Er, I must be missing something. I don't see any such option.

ddrueding

Fixture
Doesn't look too special to me. I wonder how they did it?

Code:
<param name="newegg725techreport" value="newegg725techreport.swf">  

<embed src="http://65.119.30.151/UploadFilesForNewegg/onlineads/newegg725techreport.swf" width="725" height="75">  

</embed></object></body>[img]http://techreport.com/phpads/adlog.php?bannerid=220&clientid=78&zoneid=0&source=&block=0&capping=0&cb=db8e9b3f5a1a8e569d88a064ec0f4439[/img]</div></td></tr></table>
[url="mailto:advertising@techreport.com"]Advertise with us[/url]

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As soon as Firefox is stable and there is a clear upgrade path from Mozilla, I'm switching.

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Stable??? What the hell are you talking about? Firefox kicks any other browser that I've ever used (Netscape, IE, AOL)'s ass in EVERY possible category

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks Merc.

And I too have to say that FF (v0.8) is incredibly stable. I have found only one (minor) thing that I can do to make it crash (have a PDF open in a new tab but close that tab before the PDF completely loads), and find that it is no longer plagued by annoying little glitchs/errors as were present in its v0.7 Firebird predecessor.

I just wish that there were TB hooks in FF. I can't recommend it to technically challenged users until there is an equivalent OE-IE capability...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
BooST said:
Stable??? What the hell are you talking about?

Perhaps you'd like to read and interpet my entire statement before shooting off, half-cocked.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
As soon as Firefox is stable and there is a clear upgrade path from Mozilla, I'm switching.

BooST said:
Stable??? What the hell are you talking about?
sechs said:
Perhaps you'd like to read and interpet my entire statement before shooting off, half-cocked.

Seems pretty straight-forward to me. sechs said 2 things:

1. That FF was unstable
2. That FF lacked a clear upgrade path from Mozilla

BooST made it farly clear that he was addressing only the first issue (although rather crudely).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I did, in the first year of college (decades ago).

Would you then, for my benefit, please, explain your your initial statement, "As soon as Firefox is stable and there is a clear upgrade path from Mozilla, I'm switching." in terms of how you think it should have been understood vs. how it was understood by other members here?

HellDiver

Learning Storage Performance
Pardon me for not joining your neat "logic" brawl, boys, but this time I'll stick to tech stuff only... ;)

CityK :
CityK said:
Anyone else finding the (Moz/FF...) Flash Click to View extension isn't blocking recent Newegg adds?
I presume you're talking about FlashBlock (which, methinks, indeed used to be called "Flash Click to View", for an obvious reason! :p ). Well, I visited the Tech Report page you linked to, and FlashBlock worked quite "as advertised". I'm running Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040206 Firefox/0.8 with the latest (Mar 1st, 2004) FlashBlock.

There is one thing though... Older FlashBlock versions did have issues with some banners, which got fixed with the Feb 9th, 2004 release (Hmm... Perhaps it's time for [one of] Ted(s) to include some version info with FlashBlock!! :evil: ) :

flashblock.mozdev.org said:
02/09/2004 - Flashblock should now handle all embeds correctly.
Sooo... Do you happen to be using an old version of FlashBlock, CityK? :wink:

CityK said:
I just wish that there were TB hooks in FF. I can't recommend it to technically challenged users until there is an equivalent OE-IE capability...
Something along the lines of Launchy perhaps? There is that extra click (and that dependence on Windoze!), of course, but it's still better than nothing...

P.S. Hi there to the old SR guard! No, it's not a comeback, I just had some time to spare and I got bored... :p

P.P.S. Right... The "logic" brawl... Could sechs, by any chance, be talking about the fact that (A^B)=F still holds even if A=T, as long as B=F ? :roll:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Good of you to drop by, HD.

Perhaps it's time for me to update my local copy of the Flashblock .xpi now...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
HellDiver said:
Sooo... Do you happen to be using an old version of FlashBlock, CityK? :wink:
Who me? Never. Why even the very notion of me running antiquated software is preposterous! :wink:

I was unaware that there was a derivative or name change.

When I first ran into these ads a couple of weeks ago I did a cursory search at mozillazine but came up empty. Then I checked to see if there was a new version of "Flash Click to View". I didn't spot it at the extensions page, but Tools > Options > Extensions > Click on Ted M's name and you get taken to this page. At the time, when I clicked on the link, it redirected me to Moz, but it was some page with an error message of sorts....I see that the redirection to Flashblock is now working....
(Hmm... Perhaps it's time for [one of] Ted(s) to include some version info with FlashBlock!! :evil: ) :
Version number and info would certainly be helpful. Perhaps a little message like "Flashblock takes over from where Flash Click to View Left off" would be nice .... but then again, we get back to the problem of knowing that the app has undergone a name change ... these Moz types, they certainly have an aversion to keeping static names...
Something along the lines of Launchy perhaps? There is that extra click (and that dependence on Windoze!), of course, but it's still better than nothing...
Thanks for the links HD. Much appreciated.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ddrueding said:
That FF was unstable
Perhaps he meant in terms of stable releases (i.e. v1.0 or greater, or something carrying a non beta status) ?

Anyway, doesn't really matter to me. I got what I came for. Carry on gentlemen, the thread is your's for the derailing! :D

ddrueding

Fixture
CityK said:
...the thread is your's for the derailing! :D

Who, me? Nah, I'm just PUI as usual...and too chicken to start a real bar room brawl :oops:

(actually, I just have it on record that the guys who skip the brawl get the chicks...as she's already in bed, I can afford my parting shots ;) )

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
CityK said:

So ~ a month later and v0.9 on board ....

Last night I was minding my own business, just goofing around with icon arrangements on the toolbar when all of a sudden, without any provocation, I was blind sided by none other then my beloved mail icon with hooks to your mail app of choice. It works perfectly !!!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
CityK,

How do you tell the mail icon which your favorite maill app is? Brings up OE for me even though I use Netscape.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
mubs,

Sorry, I didn't do anything per se through FF. I don't know if there is a configuration option (although I'd think that there probably is somewhere). As I have set TB set as my default mail app (via the option available within TB to do so), TB gets launched. Perhaps there is something in about:config that may be set? How about Netscapoe itself - does it have a option setting to make its mail the default app?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, CityK.

No, there is no option in Netscrape Messenger to make it the default. In the past, I've uninstalled OE, but it's still there! It doesn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs screen; in the Add/Remove Windows Components screen, it's unchecked. But if I select "Send page..." from FF's file menu, OE gets launched :evil:

In IE, in the Programs tab of Tools --> Internet Options, Netscrape Messenger is listed for Email.

Guess I'll have to trawl trhough the Registry to find where.

I don't mind a beta browser, but don't want to lose my email. That's why I'm still on Netscrape for it. I'd be happy to move to TB if it's stable and has a future. Thoughts?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
mubs said:
No, there is no option in Netscrape Messenger to make it the default.
That's unfortunate because I'm sure that would be all you would need to do.
In the past, I've uninstalled OE, but it's still there! It doesn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs screen; in the Add/Remove Windows Components screen, it's unchecked. But if I select "Send page..." from FF's file menu, OE gets launched :evil:
Yes, that's correct. In the DOJ case against MS (what, 4 years ago already) MS argued it was impossible (which it is not) to remove components such as OE, IE etc etc from the OS because of blah blah blah. In part of the agreement with the DOJ, MS was required to provide a way for the end user to remove IE, OE etc. from the desktop, but they were allowed to keep the underlying apps still embedded in the OS. So in effect, when you select to ununistal OE, all you are doing is hiding the direct links to the app. But as you have observed first hand, there are plenty of ways to trigger their reemergence.

If you really want to get rid of OE, then you would want to follow steps such as these. I posted a link to a site with ad hoc directions on how to remove IE sometime last year if your interested, but the instructions are convoluted and, at best, a work in progress whose stability is entirely at the mercy of future updates/hotfixes/service packs. Personally, after some level of reflection, I wouldn't bother with such solutions and would just leave the MS crap where it lie. Because TB has a "set as default email client" option, I haven't seen the likes of OE in quite a long while....although I know its still down there ... somewhere .... just waiting to real its ugly head at the most inopportune moment no doubt. Actually, I lie. I brought OE out of retirement a short while ago to test some email stuff. As soon as I realised that the problem I faced was mainly due to my ISP, I banished it back to the darkness of the registry....so I suppose, for testing purposes, it can be convienent to still have OE hanging around. As for IE, it and I rendezvous the second Wednesday of every month --- on the second Tuesday of every month I check (with Firefox) the Tech Net Security Bulletins, and then the following day (the second Wednesday of every month), my paranoid personality insists that we check (with IE) the Windows & Office Updates sites to see if we missed anything the previous day or to see if there are any irregularities.

In IE, in the Programs tab of Tools --> Internet Options, Netscrape Messenger is listed for Email.
Interesting

Guess I'll have to trawl trhough the Registry to find where.
I just checked to see if there was any tell-tale setting for TB, but didn't really see anything definite.

I don't mind a beta browser, but don't want to lose my email. That's why I'm still on Netscrape for it. I'd be happy to move to TB if it's stable and has a future. Thoughts?
I'm not really knowledgable about email clients and all their bells and whistles. I have, however, been using TB since v0.3 (or maybe it was 0.2 ?) and don't recall any stablity problems. Rock solid. It suits my needs very well. In its current incarnation, I would hazzard a guess that it is just if not more capable then OE. Others might be able to give you a better picture of TB's limitations that might give you chance to pause, but I really don't think there would be many for the vast majority of people.

As for backing up emails etc with TB, its a breeze, whether you select to do it manually, or with Mozbackup. For AV protection I use the free version of AVG and the beta email plugin ... which I just so happen to notice has been updated recently (I was using a release from May 2003...which, incidently, certainly worked just fine). TB's filters work quite well now (I didn't have the best of luck with them in earlier releases, but no complaints from me now). I also use YahooPops with TB for a couple of Yahoo accts. (unfortunately, these are not protected by the AVG cause I have never figured out a way to get the two mail proxies to work in series ... more knowledgeable types could probably figure it out .... and then again, if the new release of the AVG beta email pluggin that I just discovered is a little more flexible, I might be able to figure it out meself.) Lets see, what else about it might interest you....well, it has a "set to default email client" option :D .... which of course would allow you to seemlessly use the handy dandy new mail icon in FF v0.9.

One suggestion I could make is to install TB and set up a couple of dummy email accounts and then try it out with those. Or you could make an image (via Ghost or one of the other imaging software apps) of your existing situation and then go hog wild with TB. If you don't like what you find after a day or two, restore the image... not much to worry about that way.