[news] AMD Athlon 64 Revision E adds SSE3 Support

Handruin

Administrator
Anandtech said:
As we discovered most recently, AMD's 90nm CPUs are of a brand new revision that featured a number of bug fixes and performance improvements. Internally AMD refers to this CPU revision as Revision D. However we noticed something very interesting when looking at the latest AMD roadmaps while in Taiwan: the 90nm chips listed as San Diego and Venice (Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 respectively) claimed SSE3 support as a feature, but the current 90nm chips do not have SSE3 support.

We went around to quite a few manufacturers asking what the difference was between the 90nm chips shipping today and the 90nm chips that supposedly feature SSE3 support, and unfortunately we were left with very little information - until we learned to ask for the right thing.

Internally, AMD's San Diego and Venice CPUs are referred to as nothing more than Athlon 64 Revision E chips. Revision E includes even more bug fixes and performance improvements over those we found in Revision D, including support for the 13 new instructions that were added with Prescott, more commonly known as SSE3.

Link Source

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm sure when they start shipping ("in early 2005") that such information will become available then.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I figure that they'll be marked. Just get your retailer to let you look at it first....

Handruin

Administrator
I don't see any listed on newegg yet...are you just saying that when they are available?

Side-topic...newegg has an A64 3500+ 939 ($369) that costs more than a 3700+...what the hell is with that? They are both retail units.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
If you search for the Troy core in Newegg you will see a couple of Opterons/FXs with the new core, it's just a matter of time before they are available in the Athlon64 range.

kentang

What is this storage?
Got this from a friend

:mrgrn:
CPUZ.jpg
:mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
Is that your own chip? Also, is the SSE3 support on the winchester core, or is it a new one?

kentang

What is this storage?
BELOW IS OVERCLOCKED Winchester 3500+. The Voltage, Core Speed, Multiplier and HTT are overclocked result and can't be use as reference

for_3200mhz.jpg