[NEWS] - Creative buys Sensaura

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So our PC audio solutions will be mono.
LONDON (Dow Jones)--Scipher reports Wednesday that it has completed the sale of its 3D Sound business to Creative Technology Ltd. Creative paid cash on completion of $5.6 million and, in addition, Scipher has retained the outstanding trade debtors of $US0.8 million, valuing the Sensaura business at US$6.4 million. The proceeds of the disposal will be used to strengthen Scipher's balance sheet.

Creative has acquired the business and assets of Scipher's 3D Sound business, Sensaura, including the intellectual property and commercial agreements relating to the business.
This is no good

News source

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, looks like we have gone back 10 years in the sound card competition market.

I do hope there continues to be choices as far as the chipsets available in the sound card market. I quite enjoyed having the option to buy sound cards based on 4 different chipsets made by 5 different manufacturers last time I was in the market.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Realtek, Philiips, Crystal. Does ESS still make chips? nVidia (onboard), Yamaha, Onkyo (both with external USB amplifiers), Logitech, Microsoft (both with USB speakers), Hoontech, M Audio...

Looks pretty healthy to me.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
As far as real sound processors not just DACs Merc....

Realtek makes alot of DACs, mainly used with onboard sound solutions. VIA makes some DACs as well.

VIA, Intel, SiS, and AMD make AC97 compatible southbridges that use the host CPU as a DSP..

I assume the soundstorm is a hardware based DSP integrated into the southbridge or available as an add-in chip.

Creative makes (or has made for them) sound chips... so does Yamaha. ESS still makes some chips.. looks like they're working more towards set-top audio/video chips however.

I didnt realize Onkyo made anything for the PC... hmm.. logitech... I know they have USB speakers.. but I dont think they make any DSP's or DACs(as far as I know).

The M-Audio cards are fairly "exotic" in the sound card market and would be akin to something like Gravis 10 years ago.. they're there, and they're good, but they're not what most people are looking for (features and price wise)

although you didnt mention it, I guess Cirrus logic is still around afterall as found in the fortissimo III 7.1 card.

But with Sensura and A3D now being owned by creative, you can bet the only 3D formats around are going to be EAX 1,2, and now 3... all of which sound markedly better on creative harddware.

For a 2D card (stereo/5.1/6/7 channel sound hard encoded) there are lots of options, but for 3D audio the only good sounding option is going to be from creative.