[NEWS] - Iomega launches 90GB removable disk

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Iomega Corporation (NYSE: IOM), a global leader in data storage, today began shipping the exciting new Iomega® REV™ 35GB/90GB* drive, bringing proven hard drive reliability and performance to the world of removable storage. As an alternative to tape and other backup and archiving solutions, Iomega’s new REV drive and 35GB removable REV disks deliver state-of-the-art server and desktop backup, while also providing businesses and home users with the ideal portable storage device for sharing and archiving large files.

[...]

The Iomega REV drive offers the removeability of tape with the speed and ease of use of a hard drive. REV disks transfer data up to eight times faster than tape**, are smaller than a deck of playing cards (10 x 77 x 75 mm), and can be rewritten more than a million times (estimated). With a maximum sustained transfer rate of 25 MB/sec, and using drag and drop random access technology, REV users can copy and restore individual files in seconds.

[...]

The Iomega REV drive is now shipping in USB 2.0 external ($399.99 with one disk included) and ATAPI internal ($379.99 with one disk included) configurations. REV disks are available individually ($59.99) or in a four-pack ($199.95); all prices are U.S. suggested retail. Iomega REV autoloaders, which will support multiple disks per drive unit, are currently planned for introduction in the second half of 2004. FireWire®, SCSI and SATA models are also planned for introduction in the second half of this year.
I guess the advertised 90GB per disk size is with compressed data.

Hope for them it catches a little more than their Peerless failure...

News source

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sounds like a Jaz drive on steroids.

Except for backup, why would you want one of these. Actual external harddrives are quite cheap -- and *are* harddrives.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hideously expensive for not much more functionality than you can get for far cheaper solutions - as usual

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
Hope for them it catches a little more than their Peerless failure...

I used to curse a lot when I lose my data from the infamous Iomega click-of-death on my Zip100 disks :evil: Imagine if I lose 90Gb of data :excl: I will definitely throw a very BIG hammer at it.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
At first I was like, hey that might be a good thing to replace my zip drive.
Then I looked at the price. That is way too expensive a drive. The individual disks aren't that bad but should be under $50 in my opinion.

A monster IDE drive in a removable/external enclosure is probably cheaper than this drive.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm real intrested :roll:

I've got a bunch of Jazz and zips I can't give away.

s

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm not sure why they aren't calling it a 35GB drive. Are we going to see HD makers start advertising compressed capacities? :roll:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Now that Iomega's abandoned the Peerless, it's last fail... I mean product, they're starting to become cheap as well. Kits with the 20GB drive are under $100 now. If they dip to below $70 at any point, they'll be a worthwhile purchase; 20GB notebook drives cost about that much.

OTOH If Iomega had integrated an MP3 player into its peerless modules I don't think we'd have $300 iPods today.