[NEWS] - Seagate to let go 3000 workers

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Seagate expects to chop about 3,000 jobs, which should cut annual operating costs by close to $150m. Seagate will take a $50m charge in its current quarter for the move. The hard-disk drive maker has been struggling to deal with big fluctuations in demand for its products.
Storage in decline?

News source

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They should have stayed private. They seemed to be better managed when they had less than a hundred shareholders.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What about Western Digital? Mickey could be next. :(

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
What about Western Digital? Mickey could be next. :(

Let's hope not. Maybe being active in the forums will shield him :). Honestly, he has excellent insight into much of the business and they would be stupid to let him go and lose his knowledge. Having said that though the lay-offs at my work place touched a few people I did not expect it to. I'm still around though so I continue to do my best, guess that's all anyone can do.

Free

Mickey

Glad to hear you made it through unscathed, freeborn. An engineer down the hall from me has a few pithy comics and quotes on his cubicle wall. One recent one is particularly appropriate: "Disk drive engineers are like shark's teeth: very sharp and easily replaced." I suspect it's even truer with us younger engineers. Oh well.

If layoffs hit me, it really won't bother me. I've been counting the days until I quit engineering and go teach math. This'd just move up the schedule a bit (wasn't planning on a career change for a few more years).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Glad for you Free. Best wishes yto you, Mickey.

If you're in the Lake Forest area you're close to both Buck and me, then. Unless you're up in N. CA.

Mickey

I'm actually near ddrueding. Mechanical design for HDD's is either in the South Bay (Quantum/Maxtor/WD/IBM), over in Colorado (Maxtor/Seagate/various startups), and Shrewsbury (I believe). Samsung had some positions nearby a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it's all been offloaded to Korea again.

Unless someone needs a CAD jockey? :D

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, Maxtor is in Shrewsbury. I lived right down the road from it.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
One of these days, you N. CA folks need to explain what you mean by East Bay, South Bay, Half-moon bay and all the other bays that we S. CA folks don't have a clue about.

freeborn

I grew up in the South Bay. East Bay was worth going to sometimes but involved some personal security risk. Half Moon bay is where you go to spend way to much to ride a horse on the beach.

Take the San Francisco Bay as your point of reference and plug in the other terms.

Free

Mickey

mubs said:
One of these days, you N. CA folks need to explain what you mean by East Bay, South Bay, Half-moon bay and all the other bays that we S. CA folks don't have a clue about.
Heh. Take San Francisco as the central part of the SF Bay Area.

East Bay would cover Oakland, Berkeley, Concord, Fremont, Hayward, etc., etc.
North Bay would be Marin, Sonoma, Santa Rosa, and Napa. San Pablo Bay is also here.
South Bay would be San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino, and sometimes includes Gilroy.
The Peninsula would include areas south of SF, but north of the South Bay. Palo Alto, San Mateo, Los Gatos, etc. etc.

Half-Moon Bay is along the coast, between San Francisco and San Jose.
Monterey Bay is southwest of San Jose. Santa Cruz is north of there.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Mickey! That's very helpful to me. I continued to be ignorant despite Free's efforts to educate me :)

Mickey

Er, that should be "Los Altos," not "Los Gatos." The latter is definitely part of the South Bay. There's even a place called "Los Altos Hills," which is NOT the same as "Los Altos."

Criminy, I live in a weird place. :lol:

freeborn

mubs said:
Thanks Mickey! That's very helpful to me. I continued to be ignorant despite Free's efforts to educate me :)

:oops: Yeah, I left in 99 and didn't want to put anything in the wrong place. Guess I was a bit too terse though. :oops:

Free

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
No worries, Free, you were trying to help. That's what really counts, and what I really appreciate. I do have a habit of stirring up things here, though!

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
er...
I live in Virginia. We have Northern VA and Southern VA.
Southern VA is where the banjos play.
Northern VA is where all the govt ppl who work in DC live.
There's Fairfax, Alexandria, Annandale, and a bunch of other insignificant places. FYI, Fairfax was/is the richest county in the US. Northern VA is the mixing pot of the area.
I goto school on a huge campus in the middle of nowhere Southern VA.
It's in the mountains so its cold 3/4 of the year. Half the school is from Northern VA.
There's also VA Beach where some historical sites, but that's about it for VA.

Oh yeah, there's also W.VA, but all u need to know, u can learn by watching Simpson's.

All we got is AOL HQ and a bunch of IT firms with buildings here. And some other CEOs got rich around here. U might have heard of CACI in the news... they're in the area too...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Small world Bookmage, I grew up in Annandale. Graduated from Annandale High many-a-year ago. I live Florida now (25 yrs) but still miss being able to drive out to the Blueridge when I feel the need to get away.