[NEWS] - Sony unveils new walking and running robot.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Just saw that on this morning's news. I think the name of the robot is QRIO and it's similar to Honda's Aibo (is it Aibo?, something like that anyway), although it seems about 2/3 the size and is looking more like a finished product than the other (the backpack is hidden within the body of the robot).

Judging from the images shown on TV, the Sony robot looks like quite a bit more agile than Honda's older sibling. It can even jog (they claim that it runs, but I can only call what I saw "jogging", not "running").

Google found this page when I searched for QRIO and it indeed looks like the moving can I saw this morning. Here's the press release on their web site. No commercial availability has been announced yet.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Just saw it on Discovery channel. Pretty sturdy looking. Can jog at ~2.5KM/h. Apparently, if it falls, it can right itself.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Amazing. I wonder how long before you see these things performing some of the simpler manual labor chores of society. Also, I see applications for artificial legs that enable paralyzed people to walk normally with this technology.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Did you get the RMA? Fortunately there are many better/cheaper choices other than Sony now, unlike 12 months ago.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hell no. I jumped through all their hoops and I *STILL* don't have one. Next time I have five seconds to bitch about it I'm going to be on them like ugly on Dick Cheney. I think I want a written apology suited for framing and/or wiping my ass with.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
Hell no. I jumped through all their hoops and I *STILL* don't have one. Next time I have five seconds to bitch about it I'm going to be on them like ugly on Dick Cheney. I think I want a written apology suited for framing and/or wiping my ass with.

Well, be sure to scan and post it before wiping your ass with it. My old roomate still has his expulsion letter from Harvard, refrencing the "whipped cream incident". That was fun :lol:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Instead of returning to human contact for intimacy we develop more substitutes? Soon we won't have to have non-professional person-to-person contact with anyone all day and we will be the worse for it.