[NEWS] - Supermicro now officially support AMD's Opteron

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- October 10, 2005 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced general availability of a broad range of AMD64 technology-based server and motherboard solutions from Supermicro Computer, Inc., through three leading distributors, offering Supermicro solution providers and technology buyers greater choice in the x86 server market. ASI Corp., a leading distributor of wholesale computer components and peripheral products in North America; Ingram Micro Inc., the world’s largest technology distributor; and Tech Data Corporation, a leading global provider of IT products, logistics management and other value-added services, are now selling server building blocks designed and manufactured by Supermicro.

“Supermicro, a market leader in x86 server and motherboard solutions for the distribution channel, has chosen the AMD Opteron™ processor to augment their server product offerings and give customers broader platform choice through a team of leading distributors,” said Patrick Moorhead, vice president, Global Channel Marketing, AMD. “We commend Supermicro for listening to its customers and channel partners and choosing the industry-leading performance-per-watt benefits of AMD64 multi-core processors. With Supermicro, AMD now has access to a broader market for servers than we have had, as resellers and integrators offer new AMD Opteron processor-based servers to help satisfy the growing need for industry-leading x86 platforms in small and medium-size businesses.”

Consistent with Supermicro’s strategy to offer high-quality component-based solutions, the AMD Opteron processor with Direct Connect Architecture provides simultaneous high-performance 32- and 64-bit computing and is designed to power server and workstation solutions for today’s most demanding business applications.

“We strive to build solutions based on leading innovative and reliable technology, and by adding AMD64 technology into our portfolio of offerings, we are able to significantly broaden the choices available to our customers,” said Wally Liaw, vice president, International Sales, Supermicro. “Supermicro’s new solutions optimized for AMD64 dual-core technology will provide end users with the performance and reliability needed to realize the full potential of their business-critical applications.”

ASI announced immediate availability of its Nspire line of motherboards, barebones servers and integrated server solutions designed and manufactured by Supermicro. All of these products are powered by AMD Opteron processors and are dual-core ready. For more information on the Nspire AMD Opteron processor-based products from Supermicro, call (800)200-0274 or visit http://www.asipartner.com.

“The outstanding performance of Dual-Core AMD Opteron processors combined with Supermicro’s quality and reliable boards and systems will enable ASI to offer a compelling solution to our system integrator and reseller customers,” said Brian Paterson, vice president of sales and marketing, U.S., ASI. “ASI is dedicated to providing our channel partners with the best components available in the market today, so that they can build complete, high-performance server solutions.”

The latest AMD Opteron processor-based motherboards and barebones servers from Supermicro are also now available from Ingram Micro and Tech Data. For more information on Ingram Micro or Tech Data solutions, call (800)456-8000 or (800)237-8931, respectively.
It was about time Supermicro includes their Opteron boards into their official lineup. How long had they been selling those in the OEM channels? Something like 6 months I think. At least now their customers will have official support from the manufacturer, like obvious links to drivers from their website.

News source

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Supermicro could improve their search features. I've found it's easier to ask Gary for locations of stuff, like Gem 318 drivers, then trying finding them on the Supermicro website....

I've spent HOURS looking for stuff on that site, like Gem 318 drivers, and never found them...

GS

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
Upon verification, I don't see any link to Opteron products from their main portal (www.supermicro.com). For Opteron products, you have to go to www.supermicro.com/aplus . That's cheap.
Old news from about 7 months ago. They have AMD mobos and whole servers, but only offer them as "OEM" items. If you buy one of the AMD servers, it will come with the retailer's nameplate on it (not Supermicro's). The mobos always only have Supermicro's name silkscreened on them. The retailer Monarch Computer has been flogging Supermicro AMD product for a good while now.

I've also heard from sources that the Supermicro AMD mobos are the darling mobos of certain third party HPC vendors, as they are the only AMD-based mobos on the market that support certain advanced HyperTransport protocols that are needed to get the utmost throughput out of InfiniBand adapters, and clustered supercomputing sites are all about squeezing out every bit of throughput they can.

If you don't know what InfiniBand is, it's essentially the last word in superscalar I/O interfaces. It was once poised as *the* replacement for parallel PCI, and even an eventual replacement for SCSI, Fibre-Channel, and Ethernet! Intel would not allow it to be the successor for PCI and quit supporting it's evolution back in 2000. Nonetheless, InfiniBand is still alive and is proving to be great technology, with vendors like IBM coming back to InfinBand after abandoning it after Intel abandonded it.

Santilli said:
I've found it's easier to ask Gary for locations of stuff, like Gem 318 drivers, then trying finding them on the Supermicro website....

Well, guess how I initially found 'em??? The search engine. It works. However, you can program a search engine to NOT find certain things as well (i.e. -- exclude a directory from results, certain keywords, etc), like "AMD" or "Opteron." I'm dead sure they are doing this with all their AMD product for a good reason (starts with an "I" and ends with an "L").

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Gary:

Just between you and I, when it comes to Supermicro, you know their stuff, and website WAY better then I do.

I am VERY grateful for all the help, as well. Thank you, again. :wink:

Give Splash a fish if you seem him.
:mrgrn:

GS