[NEWS] - Windows flaws allow PC takeover

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Insert old "Microsoft security flaw" disc in player...again.

These are similar to the one that opened the gate for MSBlast worm :
Microsoft identified three vulnerabilities in Windows on Wednesday that could have a similar effect to that of the dreaded MSBlast worm of August.

The flaws, which affect Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP and the 64-bit versions of Windows XP, are the latest in a string of critical weaknesses identified in Windows recently. The company has issued a patch that can be downloaded from its Web site.
Get the patch here.

Since there's been a few worms recently that have been developped to exploit security flaws made public by Microsoft itself, updating your Redmond native OS, if you use one of the affected versions, who be a good idea.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Thanks for the news and link Coug. NT 4.0 needs to be restarted after the installation of this hotfix, and it messages the user that if any components are added or changed in the system, the hotfix needs to be reapplied.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When I left work at 7:30PM CDT on 9/10 this fix was not being distributed by Windows Update.

I found out about this patch from the newswire blurbs on salon.com at about noon today, and I checked all day long. The -036 patch wasn't there. That's some marvelous frickin' work they're doing, alerting national media about these patches and not bothering to put them up in the way most computer savvy people know to get Windows patches.

Also, a machine with the -036 patch installed shows up as not having the -026 installed, if you're using the network scanner I linked in the tools section.

Primate

What is this storage?
Automatic update got got the patch for me before I even knew about it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
...if you use one of the affected versions, who be a good idea.
Why nobody told me about this spelling mistake? You think I'm illiterate and feared to insult me?

Me think the Grammar Police must be syndicate to still have a job while being so lazy.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
Also, a machine with the -036 patch installed shows up as not having the -026 installed, if you're using the network scanner I linked in the tools section.

In Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 824146
Microsoft said:
Security Patch Replacement Information
This security patch replaces MS03-026 (823980). For additional information about MS03-026 (823980), click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
823980 MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC Interface May Allow Code Execution