NEWZ: All New Internet Explorer -->7<-- Coming In 200

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
NEWZ: All New Internet Explorer -->7<-- Coming In 2005

<<cough>>

..title didn't quite fit!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe they'll switch it to a reasonable engine, like Gecko, and disentangle it from the operating system!!!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The more I use Firefox, the less I like it. Mozilla rulez. Opera ain't bad. Firefox is a great browser messed up by dumbing it down for the ignorant masses. IE .. well ...... considering it's old enough to draw a pension, it's surprisingy usable, if you ignore the security disaster.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I remember Mosaic long before Microsoft made it integral to Windows....

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin, I used Moz briefly way back in the early days. Can you please tell me why you like it so much compared to FF? My system is meesed up too much already to try it and uninstall it. Despite imaging the system partition from time to time, too much water flows under the brdige in-between. :cursin:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's a series of little things, mubs. None of them are all that important on their own, but they add up to an overall verdict that Mozilla is good to use, Firefox isn't. (Well, it's better than Explorer, but then so is custard.)
  • You can't search nearly as easily. Wih Moz, you just type the search term into the address bar, hit the down arow and press enter. Much better than buggerising about with secret codes or trying to get a sensibly detailed search term into that ridiculously small search window.
  • No proper progress dialog for downloads. Instead you get that pox-ridden "download manager" box, which apart from being unpleasant to use, needs to be maintained and cleaned up from time to time.
  • The options settings are hiddden away on the "tools" menu, instead of where you expect them to be. I never get them first try, 'cause I'm old enough to have grown up on Netscape, not Microsoft stuff. (Trivial I know, but it bugs me.)
  • It's a screen-space hog. Firefox takes up almost as much room for menus and toolbars as a non-paid-for Opera and there is no way to change it! (OK, I'm sure there are downloads and other crap you can do, but where is the "show buttons as text" option? I don't have time to frig about with download add-ins to fix up a crappy browser interface on every one of the half-dozen systems I use regularly. Bluntly, Firefox is designed for IE-coddled computer morons. (And, I hasten to add, it's an excellent tool for that task. I wish it well. I just don't want to have to use the damn thing myself.)
  • Something in the keyboard settings keeps blasting me out of the "reply to post" form window on sites like Storage Forum every time I hit something near the spacebar (alt? the stupid Windows keys? I dunno - but none of the other browsers do this).
  • For a "light" browser, it takes a hell of a long time to load up. If I want instant action, I'll use Opera. If I'm going to have to wait a while, I might as well wait a few moments longer and load a real browser.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I dislike having to clean up the downlaod manager as well, but it's only 1 button to do so. I get progress bars with d/l speed & time remaining estimates; what else does it need to be 'proper'?

I don't consider Options being under Tools to be hidden when that is what Windows users are used to. Options is under Tools in IE, Outlook, Word, Explorer, etc. As a Windows user, where would you expect them to reside?

I use an add-on that shrinks icons to a very small size, almost too small, but you can change the icons to text only by doing View - Toolbars - Customize.

The load time is mildly annoying, but I tend to just leave it open so the load-time is a one-time deal.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for taking the time to the respond, Tannin.

As an "IE-coddled computer moron" who's reasonably happy with Firefox, let me chip in with my 2 cents worth.

The only issue I would consider a serious one is the load time. But like Fushigi, I seldom kill the browser, so it isn't a problem for me.

Fushigi has addressed some issues, so I won't waste time on those.

I run at 1024x768 on a 17", so screen real-estate is precious to me as well. In the tool bar customization dialog box, I've checked the "use small icons". I've turned off the bookmarks toolbar (which I find useless). Many full-moons ago, a couple of kind souls here gave me some tips. My URL address bar now sits next to the icons. With all these, I'm quite happy with the appearance/use of screen space.

WRT downloads, my box never shows up, and when a download is complete, cleans itself up. I don't know why this should be bothersome. In Tools--> Options --> Downloads, I have "Ask me where to save every file" selected, and "Close download manager when downloads complete" checked (need to enable the previous option first).

No program is perfect. And every program one uses needs some level of tweaking of options to suit subjective tastes.

Since you seem to use the word freely, I'll risk insulting you by jogging your memory.
mo·ron [máw ròn]
(plural mo·rons)
n

1. a taboo term that deliberately insults somebody’s intelligence (taboo insult)
2. psychology an offensive term for somebody with significant learning difficulties and difficulty in carrying out usual social functions

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
I don't consider someone with interests, tastes, likes and dislikes different from mine to be a moron. But what the heck would I know. I'm just a moron myself.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
It's a series of little things, mubs. None of them are all that important on their own, but they add up to an overall verdict that Mozilla is good to use, Firefox isn't. (Well, it's better than Explorer, but then so is custard.)
  • It's a screen-space hog. Firefox takes up almost as much room for menus and toolbars as a non-paid-for Opera ...
Really? Well, here is a sample of FireFox, Mozilla, IE, and Opera:

browsers.jpg

The one benefit to Mozilla is that you can remove the Status Bar and Component Bar, but in FireFox it isn't hogging up the bottom of the window to begin with!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
[*] Something in the keyboard settings keeps blasting me out of the "reply to post" form window on sites like Storage Forum every time I hit something near the spacebar (alt? the stupid Windows keys? I dunno - but none of the other browsers do this).
[/list]

It's not the fault of FireFox if you let Tea do the typing. Those bulky fingers are bound to hit multiples keys at one time or another.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
One thing I do with my Firefox to minimize the screen space it uses is move the buttons I use, the address bar, and the search bar up onto the menu bar. I then disable the navigation toolbar (all the stuff is now in the menu bar), along with the bookmarks toolbars, and set the button size to small. I end up with only a single thin bar across the top of the browser.

I don't think any browser can use less space than Firefox configured that way (and not depend on keyboard shortcuts). Works great for me.

Splash

sechs said:
I remember Mosaic long before Microsoft made it integral to Windows....

I was using Mosaic for about 1.5 years before Netscape emerged. I recall FTP-ing into UIUC (and mirrors) to get the latest monthly build of Mosaic. Mosaic was a manual install, and it frequently crashed on an otherwise stable computer running Windows for Workgroups V3.11.

Then Netscape 1.0 came out. It was far better than Mosaic. Mosaic development stalled permanently (it seemed) right about this time. Netscape 2.0 came out and it was better than its predecessor. I believe Netscape V2.1 came next, which cleared up some bugs.

Right about the time of Netscape 2.1, I first used Internet Explorer, which was at version 2.0 (I don't even recall a version 1.X of Internet Explorer). IE 2.0 was a bit bug-riddled. Netscape 2.X was clearly better. Within 2 or 3 months, IE 2.1 was out. It was slightly less bug-riddled, but was finally a complete browser that could kinda sorta compete with Netscape. I believe IE 2.1 also became available for the Macintosh for the first time.

Netscape 3.0 eventually emerged at about the same time as Internet Explorer 3.0. In my opinion, this was when Netscape started losing it. After using both extensively, it seemed that Netscape 3.0 had become noticeably more buggy than ever. IE 3.0 was less buggy and a bit faster. IE 3.0 followed up with a couple of bug-fix versions. I used IE 3.02 for quite a while it seemed. IE 3 had also introduced a fair amount of MS proprietary HTML.

When Netscape 4 and Internet Explorer 4 hit, they both seemed to add bugs, but IE 4 was less buggy and clearly faster (on Windows and Mac). I believe native versions of IE 4 also came out for the first time for use on Solaris (SPARC) and HP/UX platforms. I was a bit hesitant for a while to setup IE 4.0's new Active Desktop. Netscape 4 had clearly become NetSCRAPE by this time. It seemed more bug-riddled than ever and had become obviously dog-slow. IE 4.0.1 was a bug-fix and tweak release that hung around for a long time. This was also when "Service Pack" releases started for Internet Explorer. After this, I completely lost track of Netscrape.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gilbo said:
One thing I do with my Firefox to minimize the screen space it uses is move the buttons I use, the address bar, and the search bar up onto the menu bar. I then disable the navigation toolbar (all the stuff is now in the menu bar), along with the bookmarks toolbars, and set the button size to small. I end up with only a single thin bar across the top of the browser.
Dang! Didn't know you could do that! Thanks, Gilbo! You da man!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Mozilla Foundation freezes Seamonkey
In a letter posted to the nonprofit's Web site Thursday, the group said it would no longer develop features for its Mozilla Application Suite, otherwise known as Seamonkey, nor release a 1.8 version. But it will continue to provide developer support for its current 1.7 version.
"If we ship (Seamonkey) 1.8, we'll need to support that as well, and we just can't manage supporting that many versions as well as Firefox and Thunderbird releases," the letter stated.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
You have to remember that the Mozilla Foundation is not the end all and be all of mozilla. There is a community group of developers who will continue to work on seamonkey (mozilla suite) probably under a new name. And all their products rely on the same underlying gecko so mozilla foundation and mozilla hackers will be working on that for as long as those products exist.

fool

Resize Search Box
Might be what you want to deal with

Tannin said:
You can't search nearly as easily. Wih Moz, you just type the search term into the address bar, hit the down arow and press enter. Much better than buggerising about with secret codes or trying to get a sensibly detailed search term into that ridiculously small search window.

ddrueding

Fixture
fool said:
Resize Search Box
Might be what you want to deal with

Tannin said:
You can't search nearly as easily. Wih Moz, you just type the search term into the address bar, hit the down arow and press enter. Much better than buggerising about with secret codes or trying to get a sensibly detailed search term into that ridiculously small search window.

Good find. Very nice

Splash

• IE 7 code name: RINCON
  • Will be a tabbed browser
  • Integration of Microsoft's Windows anti-spyware service
  • Will feature international domain name support
  • Supports transparent Portable Network Graphics (PNG) for the displaying of overlayed images
  • A news aggregation feature
  • Simplified printing from within IE7
  • New and improved Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) user interface
  • Reduced privilege mode will be the default setting
  • No cross-domain scripting and/or scripting access

Handruin

Administrator
I'm happy to see better support (finally) for PNG files. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm rather curious what MS quantifies as "No cross-domain scripting and/or scripting access".

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I saw the keyboard at Microcenter. I think it was $80.

I wonder just what they'll use to store the ID & pwd and how good the recognition software is.