NEWZ: Barracuda 7200.9 *500* GB Series

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I orderaded the 500GB PATA 7K5000. If the Hibachti is not a good drive, I can use it for a backup. If it is nide, maybe I'll get an SATA one as well (in November).

I will continue with three primary data drives. One must be the 300GB SATA DM 10. Now here is the question, which two other primary drives should be used for the present? The remainder would be used for the backups.

1. 400GB 7200.8 + 400GB 7200.8
2. 500GB 7K500 + 300GB 7200.8
3. 500GB 7K500 + 300GB DM 10

LunarMist

Thanks Doug, but I tried that. All five of the local stores were listred as limited availbitl, i.e., NMT 2 units/store. At the local store there were none to be found although claimed to be in stock. I think Hitachi was not able to deliver the divers as sooon as expected.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Lunar, I think I'd go with option #2, from the choices you list. I just don't have a high opinion of Maxtor drives these days. I don't have a terribly high opinion of Seagate, either, but in this case I think it's the lesser of the two evils.

LunarMist

So the order of prefernce is Hitachi > Seagte > Maxtor?

Wow, times have changed then! Of course I have about 15 Maxtor drives (>3.5 TB) from 540DX to DMP 9 to DM 16 to DM 10, though mostly DMP9.

LunarMist

Well, the 7k500 sucks. They should stick to making barbeques. ;)

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
Well, the 7k500 sucks. They should stick to making barbeques. ;)

What, as in... Make a convection oven for baking bread by using powered-up 7K500 hard drives as oven bricks? Pumpernickel SAN-wich. Doubles as a storage array and bread oven.

RMA / Reason for return: Bacon grease penetrated seals, drive won't spin up. :evil:

LunarMist

Does't Hitachi also make barbeques as does Hibachi? I recall some joke about the confusion between the the two brands.

Anyway, the 7500K is hot enough to fry the nads and emits a faint, but high frequency whine that is different from the 7K250. The 7K500 also takles forever to spin up. :(

Dïscfärm

LunarMist said:
Does't Hitachi also make barbeques as does Hibachi?

Hitachi probably does make a barbeque unit (though, I don't ever recall seeing one). I have a nice Hitachi table saw, if that counts.

Hibachi is definitely NOT a brand. A hibachi is a Mongolian barbeque cooker. I'm pretty sure the hibachi has been around a thousand years -- if not considerably longer. Mongolians are generally responsible for popularising barbeque as we know it.

Anyway, the 7500K is hot enough to fry the nads...
Just make sure you are wearing your thermal suite when it's running.

LunarMist

Well that is interesting. I always thought Hibachi was such a popular brand that it was utililized as a generic name. Having zero experience in operating a barbeque, my knowledge is rather limited. ;)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Dïscfärm said:
LunarMist said:
Hibachi is definitely NOT a brand. A hibachi is a Mongolian barbeque cooker. I'm pretty sure the hibachi has been around a thousand years -- if not considerably longer. Mongolians are generally responsible for popularising barbeque as we know it.

Do you suppose the Japanese like being confused with the Mongolians, or vice versa? :wink:

Everything I've found on the topic of "hibachi" says it's a Japanese word, literally meaning "fire bowl". Can someone can find some info to say otherwise?

LunarMist

"Fire bowel" is an apt description for the 7K500, though it is not like the 36z15 or others of that ilk.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
LunarMist said:
"Fire bowel" is an apt description for the 7K500, though it is not like the 36z15 or others of that ilk.

:rofl:

Dïscfärm

Seagate seems to have fallen into a pattern of announcing a model lineup, then taking a good long while to actually start delivering some or all the model lineup to the retail channel. Then, during the gap in time between announcement and delivery, they start fidgeting with the model lineup in some way. Undoubtedly, the fidgeting causes delays with the entire lineup.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have grand plans to buy 5 new HDs, and move a bunch of my existing HD's around from main PC to my server and they're contingent on Seagate getting the 7200.9's in the sales channels. I'm trying to find the 80gig and 160gig 7200.9 SATA variants with 160gig/platters. Unfortunately, they still seem very scare (or non existant).

What I'm looking to do is put my swap file on a 4GB partition of a 80gig SATA 7200.9 (ST3808110AS) with the rest of the drive unused, and put Windows and my programs on 20-30gig partition of a 160gig SATA 7200.9 (ST3160812AS) with the rest of the drive unused.

If my estimates are right, these 160gig/platter drives should have STR of ~80MB/sec at the start of the drives (which is all I'll be using) so Windows and my programs should run nice and fast.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
1: Announce in hope.

2: Wonder if the announced product line has anything much to do with the designs you have in development.

3: Announce something else, just in case.

4: Keep working on the new designs. Change things as you go along because some of them work better than others.

5: Announce something else, or possibly the first one again.

6: Say you are nearly ready with product, but not the actual product you thought was going to be ready first.

7: Ship product.

8: Announce the product you started shipping last month.

9: Change the shipping product because you had a better idea.

10: Announce next year's product, more in hope than expectation.

LunarMist

Stereodude said:
I have grand What I'm looking to do is put my swap file on a 4GB partition of a 80gig SATA 7200.9 (ST3808110AS) with the rest of the drive unused, and put Windows and my programs on 20-30gig partition of a 160gig SATA 7200.9 (ST3160812AS) with the rest of the drive unused.

If my estimates are right, these 160gig/platter drives should have STR of ~80MB/sec at the start of the drives (which is all I'll be using) so Windows and my programs should run nice and fast.

Given the mediocrity of the 400GB 7200.8, I doubt that 160GB/platter 7200.9 drives will be very impressive. If capcity needs are minimal, why don't you just buy faster drives such as 740GDs?

Stereodude

Not really a
LunarMist said:
Given the mediocrity of the 400GB 7200.8, I doubt that 160GB/platter 7200.9 drives will be very impressive. If capcity needs are minimal, why don't you just buy faster drives such as 740GDs?
160GB/platter drives should have a higher STR than the Raptor, they're cheaper, and unless I'm totally misunderstanding something if you're only using a small percentage of the drive the access times should be quite short.

LunarMist

Stereodude said:
unless I'm totally misunderstanding something if you're only using a small percentage of the drive the access times should be quite short.

Obviously you don;t have teh WD740GB and teh 7200.8, 7200.7 and all the other slow seagate drives since the origuibnal ATA which did have a fast acess time, but not the buffer.... Ouch... The dietCoke is pewing ut my nose. A Seagate idE drive made fast by shortstroking.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Anybody know of a review of the 500GB model?

I'm trying to compare this to the 7k500 and can't find any honest information.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Had to order five of these turdy Seagate 500GB, as more 500GB Hibachis are impossible to find in stock.

LunarMist

What is the issue with the Seagate 500GB drives? And where are the big Maxtors?